The Sewing Place

What’s...

Tamnymore

Re: What’s...
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 18:59:33 PM »
The first thing I made on my ownio - well I was 14 and I bought the pattern, fabric, zip and thread myself. It was a dress with set in sleeves, princess seams, a back zip and neck facings. It never occurred to me that this was not a pattern for a beginner. I didn't have any help. I just followed the instructions and made it up. I wore it for about 3 years. An early win definitely helped me to keep sewing.
I wouldn't recognise that dress pattern now but I would love to find the pattern I used for my wedding dress which I would recognize. I definitely din't throw it away but it got lost somewhere.  :'(
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 19:15:40 PM »
I doubt it was the first thing I made, but I would have been about 13 or 14 when I made a lovely patterned needlecord mini-skirt and lined waistcoat at school (after the apron and a flared tennis skirt made without a pattern).  Also around that age I used to make lots of miniskirts with matching denim-jacket-style jackets, but in all sorts of fabrics.  I particularly remember one in a dark maroon sort of sweatshirt-but-stiffer fabric - I wore that one to go into Birmingham with friends to see New World. 

wrenkins

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 20:23:05 PM »
When I was 10 I made a gathered skirt with elastic in a casing. It was petrol blue with white flowers. After that I made a towelling tabard/bathrobe affair and that's when I learned to (treadle) machine sew bias binding and hand finish it; mitreing the lot!!!. It had ties at the sides also made from bias binding.  :)
I loved making little purses and chatting to my friend in class. I think the teacher was happy to let us talk as we were sewing away as we did it.  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bogwoppit

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 20:30:17 PM »
A jade green jacket from a Burda magazine circa 1990 when I was still at school. Never finished it. Was a bit advanced and I refused help. It must be hidden away somewhere at my parents. There was a striped chambray pencil skirt that I did wear a little, I let mum help me with that one.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Helen M

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 20:50:05 PM »
Mine was a Simplicity shift dress pattern in a lime green polka dot material with a ruffle round the neck. It was suitably shortened for the mini lengths of that time. Must have been around 66 and I came across the very same pattern on eBay while looking for something else, and it did bring back the memories.

This Simplicity was also made probably a couple of years later   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  I made the roll neck version
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Efemera

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 22:16:30 PM »
Was it the same as mine?

Helen M

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 23:00:24 PM »
It was very similar, I almost thought it was, but the pattern had a duster coat as well as the 2 dresses. Isn't it strange  how you can almost see in your mind the drawings/pictures that were on the pattern envelope all these years later!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ellabella

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 23:12:28 PM »
OMG, this has made me look in my pattern box! 

I have found the patterns for my school dresses, made by a friend of my mums.  I am 65, why have I kept them?

@Ploshkin I remember those big zips with the huge ring pull.  I made an A line skirt in a sort of creamy Moygashel (that shows my age) with a zip fly front, using a big brassy zip. My mother thought it was shocking, I of course loved it to bits. It must have been about 1965.

WendyW

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 23:17:31 PM »
I don't have the pattern, but mine was a dress in 1977 or 78. It was for my first communion, and my sister and I both made dresses from the same pattern. It had a square neckline, and bell-shaped sleeves. It was the first garment I made for myself, but I had been making doll clothes for years by that point. I remember my mom could not figure out a construction detail that was new to her, but I read the instructions and told her how to do it.

mudcat

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 02:26:56 AM »
I vaguely recall making an apron when I was seven.  I don't have much recollection of that time period but in home ec (starting in 7th grade age 11-12 I think) our first project was an a-line skirt.  :angry:  To this day I don't much like them.

I didn't really sew what I wanted until high school. At that time I sewed nearly all my clothes.  One outfit that really stands out and I wish I still had the pattern for it was a four panel maxi skirt, camisole and collarless peplum jacket that came down to a V at the waist where it buttoned.  I made the skirt and camisole from some light weight denim like fabric and the jacket from a dark blue brushed corduroy (the peplum was lined in the skirt/cami fabric).  I remember loving that outfit and wearing it frequently. I tried to find the pattern online earlier with no luck. 

I made the short version of this dress twice but with short sleeves and no lace on the collar.  I even have an old photo of me wearing one of them.  I miss those jp sizes they had back then.  Perfect fit with no alterations. They wouldn't work now but they would have up until about 10 years ago.

I found the photo and took a photo of it so it's a bit blurry.  It's strange to see something I made 40 some years ago.  I think my sleeves could have been better. The days of black and white mostly.  I remember the floral as having pinks and minty greens in it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 03:04:39 AM by mudcat »

mudcat

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2018, 04:05:28 AM »
I found the maxi, cami/top, jacket pattern thanks to Pinterest. It was a McCall's. I remember the peplum being a little fuller and longer but it could be the line drawings are off. I did the long sleeves for the jacket.  The photo appears to have lace which I didn't use. I did not make the pants.  Funny, I don't like it as much this time around. But, I'm generally not a fan of the 70s.

I would consider this top a cami of sorts but perhaps it is not.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 04:09:35 AM by mudcat »

DementedFairy

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2018, 09:21:47 AM »
I love those 70s pattern drawings- all legs and hair, gorgeous!
C'est moi!

Efemera

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 09:31:18 AM »
I love those 70s pattern drawings- all legs and hair, gorgeous!

Me too... but alas the reality was very  different... yes I had the long blond hair but it was so thin and nothing I did give it any volume  and as for the legs... well the less said the better!

UttaRetch

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 11:47:42 AM »
I was a teenager in the mid-70's and had all my hair and a flat stomach.  Both have now gone to a greater or lesser extent. :'(  I still remember and love many of the styles.

Jane

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2018, 16:53:20 PM »
That yellow shirt drawing looks oddly like my Mum...

Or is it just me?

I'd like to still look like that please!
Jane (I'll get Fran to sew it)