The Sewing Place

50's fashions.

Surest1tch

50's fashions.
« on: April 06, 2018, 21:23:18 PM »
I know we have some sewers who are big into 50's fashions.  Fornanyone who's into these styles I got an email from Sew Magazine today with these in it.  I hope the link takes you to the right place, my favorite is the burgundy one and I only wish I was young enough and still had the figure to get away with wearing these.

https://www.sewmag.co.uk/blog/call-the-midwife-your-wardrobe-is-more-50s-than-you-realise?utm_source=sewnewsletter&utm_medium=20180406&utm_campaign=monthly

SS

Ravingdoll

Re: 50's fashions.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 09:54:01 AM »
I am that person!   Thank you for that link (which does work!) I shall have a good read of that later.  I have the pattern for the burgundy dress too and hoping to go to the fabric shop later - feeling more inspired! 

Sewingsue

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 10:11:55 AM »
Wow, that brought back memories!

My mother would definitely have worn a variation of that suit
 and I would have wanted those dresses - with several petticoats of course, net and paper nylon.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 11:41:35 AM »
I like 50's fashions, but I do get royally pissed off when they style up the look.

Love the dress, but the shoes are wrong, but I suppose it's the difference between recreating the complete look and just borrowing from the era.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 12:56:21 PM »
Wish I was her age and size and thus able to wear them  :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

arrow

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 22:28:41 PM »
I like 50's fashions, but I do get royally pissed off when they style up the look....

...Love the dress, but the shoes are wrong, but I suppose it's the difference between recreating the complete look and just borrowing from the era.

There was a trend with shoes like this in the 50s, but it went by rather quickly. It was over by the 60s and it has appeard two or three times. The spectacular shoes we see today are often very close to the classic form, but tends to be exaggerated, to the extreme sometimes.

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 08:24:00 AM »
This blogger has examples of shoes from the 50's.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 10:12:31 AM »
I like the full skirts - which followed on from the "New Look" which Dior launched in 1947, so not truly a 50s fashion as the original article says.  I'm not so keen on the straight pencil skirts which were also around then, but more towards the late 50s.

The shoes are interesting, none of them would really look out of place today, and the only styles which are missing are the thin stiletto heels and very pointed winklepicker toes.

Essentially there is only so much that fashion can do, and short of crinolines, bustles or fathingales coming back into fashion (very impractical but possibly OK for evening wear) it has to be a re-hash of previous styles and sometimes mixing bits from different eras.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »
I remember more the late 50's just before 60's started.  Short of pennies my mum used buy me a couple of yards of fabric, which was made into a flared skirt.  Buttonhole back fastener but no zip, I didn't know how to insert one, and it was quick to make. First dress I ever made was when I was around 17, a shirtwaister in a dark blue silky fabric with lurex thread through it, belted with buttons down the front (I could make a good buttonhole).

Makes me laugh when people say Brexiteers are nostalgic for the past.  Maybe, for being able to wear long white boots, pelmet skirts, have a 23inch waist and have old ladies tutting when I go by (I think I might be one of them now only I don't tut :o)
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 15:02:37 PM »
Essentially there is only so much that fashion can do ... it has to be a re-hash of previous styles and sometimes mixing bits from different eras.

Very true.  The second pair of

sandals look so modern, but go back to 1956.