The Sewing Place

Doughtys

fajita

Doughtys
« on: April 09, 2018, 14:21:13 PM »
I placed an email order at Doughtys at 12.29. At 13.32 I had an email back to say my order had been shipped!  Hope the courier is as speedy.

sewingj

Re: Doughtys
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 14:25:15 PM »
That`s impressive!
  I was hoping to go to their roadshow in Churchdown later this month as it is just down the road from my daughter`s house - but it`s been cancelled!  It appears to be the only one this year that isn`t happening - blooming typical!

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 15:13:04 PM »
I'm going to their charity open day at the end of the month.  Have always had excellent service from them online and at shows.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 20:06:57 PM »
Doughtys are great.

So are Lady Sew n Sew and the service I just received from Makower was superb too!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 20:14:05 PM »
They are coming to Gravesend on Saturday  0_0 0_0 0_0

Now, I don't need any more stash, but I might have to buy a few FQs towards the Project Linus Quilt and I will need some backing, and some wadding, and I'm getting a bit low on neutrals.....   They usually only bring P&Q fabrics (it's a quilting group which organises the event) but most of it is also good for summer dresses.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »
I'm another Doughty's fan. If I buy online I tend to use either them or Pelenna Patchworks or Cotton Patch.
Doughty's batiks are good
Triumph of hope over experience :D

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 12:45:15 PM »
@Fajita    I can beat your initial post!  Just ordered something from Minerva via ebay at 12.39 and then got an email at 12.40 saying it was dispatched ( I think someone might be fibbing!)

fajita

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 12:47:13 PM »
@sewingj   :devil:  it would take me longer than that to read the email, lol

fajita

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 14:38:52 PM »
My fabric just arrived.  :fabric: :fabric:

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 12:19:28 PM »
Doughtys have moved to a warehouse near the station in Hereford.  Not quite as convenient as the old shop, but soooooooo much bigger...   :o

I didn't know there was so much batik in the entire world.  Seriously, we're talking hundreds of bolts.  I wish I'd taken photographs.  Vastly more stock than online.  Lots and lots of other stuff too.  I was a bit overwhelmed by the batik - I need to have a better idea of what I'm looking for next time - but I did buy a couple of pieces of jersey.

Frustratingly the section with the fat quarters was cordoned off because they were preparing for some little show at the NEC next week (  :P ).  The whole warehouse was filled with the sound of tearing fabric as vast numbers of fat quarters were being made for the ravening hordes that will descend on them. 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 09:43:21 AM »
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I thought it best to keep everything in one place and give an update with my recent experience of ordering from Doughty's (though I was tempted to post this on the Happy Thread).

I ordered several fabrics on Friday morning that appeared to be bolt ends given the amounts available and I left a comment that the exact amount wasn't essential as they were for quilt backings. On Saturday afternoon I received a phone call to say that the full amounts were not available. The lady on the phone went through the fabrics letting me know how much they had and if it was in more than one piece so I could decide what I wanted and be refunded for what was not available. The parcel was dispatched later on Saturday afternoon and was delivered this morning (Tuesday) by Royal Mail.

This is the first time I've ordered online from Doughty's and I am very pleased with the service, though my bank account may be less pleased at the possibility of future purchases.

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 09:53:33 AM »
Doughtys, Ladysewnsew, Midsomer Quilting and Empress Mills are always excellent with customer service ... Just give them a call.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 13:22:59 PM »
Doughtys are indeed very good at phoning but more often than not I get phoned because they have insufficient left for my order or don't have it in stock at all.  I ended up, with one quilt backing, making a list of 6 possible choices for the 3rd phone call.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 13:49:46 PM »
Doughtys get on my nerves.Whenever I order something there's always a phone call to say that part of what I've ordered isn't in stock....do I want a substitution or a refund? Their stock control must be minimal   :S
Triumph of hope over experience :D

StitchinTime

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 14:38:10 PM »
They phoned to check about one of the fabrics I ordered as the full amount was available but it was in two pieces. I can understand problems with stock control if they have online orders and a bricks and mortar shop operating at the same time, but that shouldn't arise during these times. Perhaps they are generous with their measurements instead.