The Sewing Place

Trials and tribulations......

sewmuchmore

Trials and tribulations......
« on: April 09, 2018, 18:30:49 PM »
...... of sewing with the waxed cotton. I have mentioned this fabric and the coat i was making in my diary but it has been such a trial i think it deserved its own topic.
First came the chalk marks i couldn't get rid of. Still there.
Then the watermark on the pocket, it's supposed to be waterproof this fabric  :S
Then i got around to putting the hem facing on, all nicely understiched only to realise i had put it on upside down, out came the stitch unpick.
OK, next the lining. All put together and into the coat, again all understiched, turned it the right way round to find it was pulling along the seam for the zip flap.
Grrrr, were is the dam stitch unpick.
Lining goes in again.
Turns it the right side out and notice that i have stitch holes now  :'(
I wonder if they will steam out like linen or cotton?
NO. I have now got a beatiful water mark pattern all down the front.  :'( :'( Were is the  :gin:
Decide to put the snaps on and use the coat for gardening or put it in the next charity bag. Last snap to go on. Fasten it up, NO the last stud is a mil out and pulls when closed  :'( :'(
Then decide to give it a good press, nothing to loose empty the iron and turn of steam to be on the safe side.
 :S All the water marks have disappeared!!!!!
Hang it up, NO NO one of the pockets is off kilter, how did that happen? I meticulously measured the pocket placement, gremlins have obviously been at work. B****r. It will have to stay like that i aren't unpicking again. It will be ok for walking the  :woof: :woof:
@Gernella & @Ellabella hope you have more success with yours.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 18:32:50 PM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Trials and tribulations......
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 18:40:29 PM »
I think it looks absolutely fine, can't see anything wrong, it's great  :)

Lizzy777

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 18:41:29 PM »
I know you have had a tough time with this jacket as the gremlins went berserk  :)

But the jacket in the picture looks great! If you hadn't said anything I would never have known. It's a lovely colour and the pattern looks a good one too. Which pattern is it please? Also, I wonder if the waxed cotton you have used is the one I bought recently? Got the details and link from a post on here?

Well done anyway, that's some patience there, in the making of the jacket, for sure!

lizzy

Holly Berry

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 18:43:17 PM »
I think like me you are over critical of your work.

If you hadn’t catalogued where it’s gone wrong I wouldn’t have noticed. It looks really good to me from the pictures and if like me you spend a lot of time walking the dogs you will get plenty of wear out of it.

Don’t beat yourself up, it’s much better than you would buy.
Procrastination get behind me

Lizzy777

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 18:50:05 PM »
Oh I just looked back on the thread about the waxed cotton and yes it is the same as the one I bought. It's a really nice colour isn't it?

Did you use the Pennine jacket pattern after all?

lizzy

sewmuchmore

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 18:50:24 PM »
I know you have had a tough time with this jacket as the gremlins went berserk  :)

But the jacket in the picture looks great! If you hadn't said anything I would never have known. It's a lovely colour and the pattern looks a good one too. Which pattern is it please? Also, I wonder if the waxed cotton you have used is the one I bought recently? Got the details and link from a post on here?

Well done anyway, that's some patience there, in the making of the jacket, for sure!

lizzy

Yes it probably is the same fabric, link was in the Thought of this thread.
The pattern is this I have done 3 versions now, the knee length in a Molton wool, short version in corduroy and this is mid way between the 2 but i altered the pocket to a bagged pocket.

Janet

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 19:28:20 PM »
It looks absolutely fine to me, I think your just being a touch too critical of your work because you know where the faults were and keep seeing them when others can't.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 22:09:20 PM by Surest1tch »

fajita

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 19:31:45 PM »
Looks good to me. Well done.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 19:34:37 PM »
I agree with the others, it's a lovely coat.

We all beat ourselves up because we know where things aren't mm perfect, but honestly it's more than good enough for walking the dog.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lizzy777

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 19:55:26 PM »

Thank you janet. Just had a look at the Grainline pattern. I remember it now.

lizzy
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 20:01:36 PM by Lizzy777 »

DementedFairy

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 19:55:48 PM »
Looks fine to me- just wear it, you'll soon forget those bloody gremlins!
C'est moi!

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 11:16:27 AM »
That looks absolutely fine to me and I did study and not just glance.  You've certainly got more balls than me with the snaps, I'm still dithering on a simple insertion of two and started on something else to take my mind of them for a while.

Is that the Millerain fabric?  I got some but wasn't sure which side to use.  All the company said was that the best side was the lightest.  One side seems smooth the other feels a bit icky.  I've got it all rolled up while around August but at least your tips will come in handy.

In fact I hope mine turns out as good.  With the cock ups recently I'm more likely to be in the doggy doo.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 17:21:56 PM »
Is that the Millerain fabric?  I got some but wasn't sure which side to use.  All the company said was that the best side was the lightest.  One side seems smooth the other feels a bit icky.  I've got it all rolled up while around August but at least your tips will come in handy.

It is the Millerain fabric yes. I used the brightest side as the right side as it was the side that appears to have the waxed finish.

Janet

jen

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 18:37:04 PM »
Looks brilliant! I’m sure you’re the only one who will see gremlins.