The Sewing Place

What weight denim

sewmuchmore

What weight denim
« on: March 15, 2017, 17:12:13 PM »
would you use to make a skirt? looking for some non-stretch (nearly impossible to find) denim that is not too heavy but sturdy enough to make a skirt without it being stiff.
Any suggestions?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Lilian

Re: What weight denim
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 23:41:43 PM »
Would Chambray be too soft?  I was only thinking about that yesterday.
Willing but not always able :)

Holly Berry

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 00:07:10 AM »
Have a look on Sherwoods Fabrics website. They have a lot of denims with suggestions as to what can be made from them. Empress Mills also have quite a good range of denim.

For jeans I now look for 8oz weight. For a skirt it depends on the style, i.e. full or A line etc.
Procrastination get behind me

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 18:09:00 PM »
Would Chambray be too soft?  I was only thinking about that yesterday.
I did order some Chambray from Minerva as it was described as medium weight but i sent it back because it was light weight and would have looked like a damp dishcloth made as a skirt.
That's one good thing about Minerva they do operate a no quibles return policy unlike a lot of sites.

Janet

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 18:11:29 PM »
Yes chambray is quite a lightweight fabric, shame it wasn't a bit heavier.  Good luck with your search.  :D

sewmuchmore

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 18:32:31 PM »
Have a look on Sherwoods Fabrics website. They have a lot of denims with suggestions as to what can be made from them. Empress Mills also have quite a good range of denim.

Thanks Holly Berry, I have not come across Sherwoods before, they have lots of nice stuff. Now, how do i explain another parcel of fabric arriving!!

Janet

Holly Berry

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 19:08:31 PM »
Thanks Holly Berry, I have not come across Sherwoods before, they have lots of nice stuff. Now, how do i explain another parcel of fabric arriving!!

Can't wait to see the end result  :)

Fabric Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 20:45:17 PM »
I made a denim skirt recently with some embroidered denim. It isn't heavyweight but not light either. I adapted a plain A-line pattern to make a button-through style and put poppers in it.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 23:09:23 PM »
That's lovely, glad you found the right weight denim  :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 07:48:26 AM »
Nice skirt, nice denim.
I find it irritating that sites are inconsistent with the information that they give for fabrics.  On one site you might get the weights for some of the denims and not others.  Same goes for fibre content.
Does anyone know of a useful list anywhere that gives the recommended fabric weights (especially denim) for various types of clothing?  Mostly, when I've bought denim to make jeans it has been a lighter weight than I would have liked.
Life's too short for ironing.

Holly Berry

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 11:27:37 AM »
Sherwoods give weight, composition and suggestions for making up. Empress Mills give weights.

From experience of trying to find jeans denim, I would say weight below 8oz is lightweight, 8-14 is medium weight and anything higher is heavyweight. I would buy 8-10 for jeans, skirts and jackets. I did find a website that gave an explanation, but can't find it now....typical.

I would suggest either emailing and asking the seller the weight and what they would recommend the fabric to be made up as, or get a sample. Jeans fabric has now become much softer and is often washed and treated. For those old enough, remember the Wrangler and Levi jeans of the 70's that could stand up on their own  :|

Puzzler

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 15:46:06 PM »
I made a denim skirt recently with some embroidered denim. It isn't heavyweight but not light either. I adapted a plain A-line pattern to make a button-through style and put poppers in it.

Hi Fabric Lover,

Great skirt. I'd like to make a similar skirt in plain denim for my daughter. I have a skirt block for her and want to draft a pattern from it that's similar to yours. May I ask how much you added onto the centre front for the cut-on facings?

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 21:49:37 PM »

Does anyone know of a useful list anywhere that gives the recommended fabric weights (especially denim) for various types of clothing?

From what I can see on the web, with (men's) jeans lightweight denim is generally anything less than 12 oz, medium weight is 12-16 oz and heavy is above 16oz/sq yard.

If it's quoted in gsm (grams per square metre) which is more usual with other fabrics, 12 oz = 400 gsm and 16 oz = 540 gsm.

BUT
one of the websites which quoted those weights,
Plushaddict blog
sells what they describe as     
Denim - Heavyweight - Indigo 14oz
Plush Addict sales
⁉️
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Puzzler

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 12:23:30 PM »
I sent off for a sample of denim from Sherwood fabrics. I believe it's the one called 'Brent' which is 100% denim, 10oz. I think it's too light for a jacket but perhaps ok for a sturdier weight top or a lighter, summer weight skirt.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 18:20:52 PM »

Love this fabric, where did you get it from?

Janet