The Sewing Place

The hunt for a new machine.

rubywishes

The hunt for a new machine.
« on: April 12, 2018, 13:08:13 PM »
So the Bernina 710 is sold......it was a great machine but we never got on first name basis with each other and after not using her for over 12 months I decided she needed a new home where she would be used and appreciated. I have the Juki TL2010q straight stitch only which I love... it is great for piecing and quilting...has a terrific extra high harp space and powers through stuff like "no tomorrow". But I wanted a computerised machine as well (well, Mr.Ruby has several motorbikes so "when in Rome..."); something that could do a few "fancy shmancy" things as well as handle the bulk of a quilt ploughing through its harp space. I know, I know, the Bernina could do all that easily but....we just never fell in love with each other no matter how hard we tried!

I went to the AQC armed with my list of "must haves" and tried all the machines on show. And funnily enough, the one I thought I would buy after all my internet research failed to impress me with its stitch quality. I came home confused and disgruntled and headed back to the internet for some more research/grumbling/head scratching and came up with a shortlist of 3 machines, the Juki DX, the Skyline (Atelier) 7, and the Janome 8900 which is being superseded so was ridiculously discounted because otherwise waaaaaaay out of the budget. I also wanted to try stitching on my previous favourite possibility in the event that the "meh" stitch quality I encountered at the AQC was just a "one off".

Now comes the tedious part. Sewing machine shops are few and far between over here...I only had 3 within a 45 minute drive and cripes, I hate, hate driving unless I really really have to. The first shop I rung said they had the "meh stitch" machine for me to try so I jumped in the car and motored over in peak hour traffic dodging trams and wandering school children intent on not using designated pedestrian crossings only to be informed when I arrived that oops, no they didn't have that machine. :angry: So after stalking out the door (which I was not overly gentle in closing) I phoned shop number 2 who assured me they had said machine. So, another 40 minute drive and I'm at the next shop and yes, they have the machine and yes, this one sews dodgy to me as well. But fortunately they have machine choice number 2 and number 3 available for me to try ( I had tried machine number 1 a few days prior) but guess what? They couldn't get number 3 machine to work! It's little computer screen kept flashing a message that the saleslady couldn't understand. :angry: Now, to her credit, she offered to ring the sewing machine company to try to sort it out but by this time I was now dangerously close to getting a parking ticket and also "grandchildren babysitting" time. So, back in the car I get.

And like Goldilocks and the 3 Bears, I finally get to the last shop in my part of the hemisphere. sigh...they have machine number 3, I get to sew on it, fall in love with it and get it reduced a further $99AUS.  And that's how I ended up with a Janome 8900 and that's why I'm calling her Goldilocks!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 13:18:44 PM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Roger

Re: The hunt for a new machine.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 16:11:54 PM »
Congrats on the new machine! Just don’t fill her with porridge:)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 16:17:24 PM »
Enjoy the new machine. An end of range model is a great way of getting lots of features for less money. My machine was an ex-demo model (a good few years ago now) and meant I got a higher spec than I thought I could afford.

With regards to machines=motorbikes, my OH has a football season ticket which can equate to an awful lot of fabric if needed.

Roger

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 16:30:04 PM »
I’m trying to find my other half a sensible expensive hobby to balance off my machines :)

At least she dances so it’s an excuse for fabrics and trims :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 16:54:04 PM »
Well Done Rubes ... If you fell in love it will be love forever ...Goldilocks .. Yup Im liking that!

(Please don't tell me the Mehstitch was the Atelier ...No!! No, I'm not listening .... La la la la la la ... Sticks fingers in ears!)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 21:07:26 PM »
Oh no Im, the meh machine was a different one. The Skyline/Atelier was lovely and I was honestly struggling between the Juki DX and the Skyline as they were both very very similar in all they offered and how they felt. They both sewed very nicely, felt nice to touch and had some great features.  If I had to choose between those two it would be a coin flip and that was what I had begun to angst over until I stumbled onto the 8900. The deal breaker was the bigger harp distance on the 8900...that and the ridiculous price sealed it for me.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!