The Sewing Place

I am slowly but surely going completely barmy

Gernella

I am slowly but surely going completely barmy
« on: April 12, 2018, 16:16:37 PM »
I am making this for the second time.
http://www.sewdirect.com/acatalog/Vogue-9015.html

First time I was short on fabric with looking at the wrong view and finished up adding a band in a different fabric, which worked out that well that that I decided to do again but not quite so broad and just on the sleeves and pocket flap (a deviation from the pattern).

I have now reached the sleeves so need to add my band before stitching together.  When I cut the pocket inner lining out I had worked out I had more than sufficient for two bands.  The smaller scraps I stuffed away just in case they would be useful in future, the rest I left out.  So where the heck are they.  They were on my cutting table with the rest of the large leftovers from the garment body, the scraps in the plastic wallet are still there. I've turfed everything out in between fabric, on the floor, in the patterns in the bins, behind tables, under machine covers with the box of scraps saved just in case.

I'm beginning to think I am living in fairy land and my imagination of wanting sufficient fabric has conjured it up and now I can't find it I'm in the real world.

I've ordered some more, which means some time over the weekend I am sure to find it.  I had better because if I don't I will know for sure!
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

wrenkins

Re: I am slowly but surely going completely barmy
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 16:23:31 PM »
I'm afraid in order to find it you must lose something else. You always find the thing you lost the time before. Fact!  :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lyn-J

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 16:32:41 PM »
You won't find them until you are looking for something else. Those are the rules.
Hope they turn up soon!

Roger

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 16:39:21 PM »
Once you’re finished making it and come in for something random you’ll find it!

I have ‘project bags’ they’re large canvas bags very square, that I got from our local butchers and I put a whole project in each one to try and keep it all together... if I have to hang something it goes in the hanger, when I finish in the evening everything goes in the bag unless it’s under the presser foot etc... I sound a bit neurotic....
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Ravingdoll

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 17:32:02 PM »
I have project bags too Roger and generally work well. But I put some covered buttons ‘somewhere safe’ about a month ago for when I was ready to see them on. That time has come. Well it did about two weeks ago. I can’t find them anywhere. I ought to do some more and put it behind me but I just can’t seem to give up the expectation that I will find them. 

supergran

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 20:58:52 PM »
If anyone ever finds this "somewhere safe" please give me a shout as I've got loads of stuff in there as well. :S

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 21:30:44 PM »
So have I. I never find it until it's too late to be useful.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 21:52:04 PM »
Nope, your not going barmy, your now a full blown member of the club.

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 22:56:09 PM »
I've recently found something of my Mum's that I lost just after she died, ten years ago.

It is a DVD of all the cine films from when we were children, up to most of my generation's weddings.

I'm so happy, but the only trouble is I can't remember what it was I was looking for when I found it

jen

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 07:57:08 AM »
You’ll find the missing item when you’ve ordered a replacement. That’s the rule. Being a bit incapacitated recently, I dreamt of organising the house so as to spend less time looking for mislaid items, and first day up de died to tackle organising medicines. I found five part used bottles of cough syrup. I feel your pain.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 09:29:59 AM »
No, not just you G.  I do it all the time, and the more I try to organise, the less likely I am to find things again..... :S

I guess I just have poor organisational skills....

You will find it when the replacement turns up  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Nevis5

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 10:05:22 AM »
Ditto what everyone else says.  Try and lose something else and it will turn up immediately  :devil:  Mind you I'm in the same boat, I did a whole load of washing yesterday without adding any washing powder.  Batty, moi?  0_0

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 10:18:20 AM »
You could call it an experiment in being more environmentally friendly, @Nevis5  ;)

I put a Christmas cheque from my Godmother into that 'safe place'.  I had to own up after a while because I knew she would wonder why I hadn't cashed it.

I've got to the point now with most lost things that when I have had one serious look for them I replace them.  Life is too short to spend it searching for lost things.  It's astonishing how few of them reappear though.  I think I may genuinely have a black hole.   ><
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 11:39:47 AM »

I have ‘project bags’ they’re large canvas bags very square, that I got from our local butchers and I put a whole project in each one to try and keep it all together... if I have to hang something it goes in the hanger, when I finish in the evening everything goes in the bag unless it’s under the presser foot etc... I sound a bit neurotic....

That's a good idea, actually I'm nearly there I now put all the pattern pieces in a zipped plastic wallet as soon as I've used them.  Nothing neurotic about it, just common sense really, which I seem to lack.

I wouldn't mind but I didn't even put it in a 'safe' place, just laid it on the table to one side.  I mean, it's sugar pink, you can't miss it.  Only me uses the room, the cats use the litter and go, totally uninterested in sewing.  The only thing I remember is using the small table ironing board to fuse the interfacing and press.  At that point I had the whole garment held together at the shoulders, less the sleeves.  Even if it got wrapped up in all the fabric it would have dropped on the floor.

It's a Sherlock Holmes mystery. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 15:10:30 PM »
Every once in a while I spend ages turning the sewing room upside down looking for where I've put the bobbin case when I've wound a new bobbin.  One day, I might actually remember that my Pfaff that I have had for 6 years doesn't use a bobbin case.
Life's too short for ironing.