The Sewing Place

So disappointed - this is why I don't wear dresses!

Vezelay

So disappointed - this is why I don't wear dresses!
« on: April 12, 2018, 17:53:30 PM »
 :'(
I've been putting off making Kwik Sew 3489 for a couple of years - now I know why! Fabric's been sitting there for 3 or 4 years at least - a sort of slinky viscose that I was saving for something suitable. Well I certainly picked the wrong pattern for it.

My parents' in law's celebration of life is next week so I decided I needed a dress. Not this one though :|.
I made a size S but it was huge, so I took all the seams in at least a half inch, added some elastic to the waist, took it up 4 inches etc. (I'd already added a neckband because I knew it would be too low otherwise). It's still too big and saggy, the waist is too low and it's........awful. It looks like an "old ladies' dress" - so unflattering and most definitely not the handmade fashion statement I was looking for.

So I shall be wearing trousers and a plain top I made a while back. Boring, but at least they fit me!

No more wrap dresses for me. Anyone want the (uncut) pattern? I'm in the UK next week so just want the postage, whatever that is. And if anyone can think of a magic way of transforming my dress into something wearable, I'd be delighted.

DementedFairy

Re: So disappointed - this is why I don't wear dresses!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 18:02:27 PM »
That's not baggy OR unflattering- just very dark!  Light tights, pretty shoes, a bright necklace...come on woman, stick some colour on it [And if you will be wearing make up to the 'do' , slap some on for your try-ons.  I hate the look of ANYTHING on me if I just try it on 'naked']
C'est moi!

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 18:05:24 PM »
I agree .... that drapes lovelyly!

Big Hat would work as well I think (?)

I went to my MIL 75th recently, dressed up (which I never do but I felt very glam) and,
apparently, peeps thought I looked like a film star (Honest, their words not mine!!!)

Scuse the scrawny white legs .. they havent seen the sun in a long time ...

with my much more beautiful niece ....

Go for it Vezelay !
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 18:15:17 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

fajita

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 18:05:44 PM »
I think it looks fine. As DF says, light tights, bright scarf, ready to rumble!

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 18:06:42 PM »
I largely agree with DF.  You are very slim and this is the best profile for wrap dresses.  Pretty it up and you will see a real difference.

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 18:32:01 PM »
That's not baggy OR unflattering- just very dark!  Light tights, pretty shoes, a bright necklace...come on woman, stick some colour on it [And if you will be wearing make up to the 'do' , slap some on for your try-ons.  I hate the look of ANYTHING on me if I just try it on 'naked']
Oh dear, I really, truly have none of those things - honestly - no make up either, never wear it. I have some nice scarves  but none of them would go with it. I have silver pendants but that's about it.  The main problem though is shoes - I have big bunions so I don't own anything like a pretty shoe - can't wear heels or ballet flats at all. If I can't wear boots or flat summer sandals with a dress, then the dress is out!

Never mind, you're all very kind and encouraging and I agree it would be improved by dressing it up, but I think it was a mistake I should just put behind me. I could probably refashion it into a tee shirt.....

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 19:13:17 PM »
Both @Vezelay and @Iminei  are so, so lucky to be slim and therefore able to wear anything Jazz it up V and you'll look gorgeous
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 19:35:34 PM »
Yes Jazz it up, add some colour and a bit of bling and you'll look stunning.  The dress is dark and fairly muted , so that means it must be paired with colourful accessories

If you can only wear summer sandals or boots then wear the sandals - and have them a nice colour, not black or navy.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 19:39:05 PM »
Honestly @Vezelay I think fabric choice is the culprit here.  If you had gone for a pretty floral, the dress would be perfect.  It is, however, wearable and I think you should put it in the wardrobe for now and not rush to taking it apart.

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 20:09:55 PM »
No don't put it in the wardrobe. DF is absolutely right - all it needs is brightening up. With makeup and a necklace you'd look great in it. If you haven't got those - go out and get them! Wear boots with it if necessary.

Lachica

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 21:34:26 PM »
What @Greybird  just said. Great fit, next time make it in a bright colour.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Surest1tch

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 21:57:14 PM »
I think your wrong, from what I can see in the photo to me it looks as though it fits you very well.  Also as you are also so slim you can really carry that style

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 21:57:31 PM »
I think it looks lovely.  I suspect it doesn't look how you were hoping, so you're judging it differently to the rest of us.  And we all know that we are far more critical of something we have made than of something we have bought!

You probably won't be happy if you wear it for your upcoming event, but do buy it a necklace or scarf and keep it for the right occasion - I think it deserves it!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

mudcat

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 05:38:46 AM »
I agree with others in that it needs some bright color to offset the darkness. The fabric seems too light weight for boots. Maybe give it day of rest and revisit again after that. Scarves are easy to make so perhaps you have something in your stash that would work.

jen

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 07:49:32 AM »
Adding my voice to all the others who think it just needs a little accessorising. I looked at the photo before reading the post, and thought ‘that’s nice’. Often, when we’ve spent time making something, we don’t ‘see’ it, and write it off as a flop, when it isn’t. Necklace, hat, it’ll look terrific.