The Sewing Place

So disappointed - this is why I don't wear dresses!

Efemera

Re: So disappointed - this is why I don't wear dresses!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 08:55:41 AM »
..I’ve never been a fan of wrap dresses, I think they’re very  mumsy....but that’s just my opinion. If you don’t feel right in it you’re never going to wear it. Put it away and make something bright and colourful.

SkoutSews

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 10:56:09 AM »
As a general observation, I frequently find that I don't like something I've made immediately after it's finished.  It must be something to do with over-familiarity with the fabric and pattern, combined with fresh memories of fitting issues and my many mistakes (usually not apparent to anyone but me).  If I put the garment away for a few days and come back to it, I'm often pleasantly surprised and grow to like it.

I've been making a shirt recently and had some wrangles with fitting. It struck me as I changed back into my (Next) RTW shirt that the fit in that is far worse than my make, but for some reason I accept that in RTW.

What always helps is having someone compliment the dress or whatever when you screw up your courage and wear it.  Don't give up on it!

Missie

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 11:27:00 AM »
I think it looks lovely.  It is dark as has been said (and probably too dark for your colouring in an absolutely idea world) and I don't think the boots and dark tights help, but I've seen what you say re footwear.  Get a lighter cardi (you always need a cardi in Wexford!) and a funky statement necklace.  And try some lippy.  And it may be too late now but how about a pair of bootees rather than the heavy chunky black boots you have on in the photo.

But the dress is a keeper if you ask me!

Gernella

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 12:03:36 PM »
You are doing what we all do, standing in front of the mirror and being highly critical and probably too critical.

If you can't get rid of the boots, get a bra with some lift and push, what about just a touch of mascara if you don't normally wear makeup, that can make a huge difference.  You can put some bounce into your hair and you could beg or borrow accessories.  Don't give up on the dress, there is nothing wrong with it, you just need a few tweaks.

I just wish I was as slim as you are, I spend most of my time out holding my stomach in, in fact for special occasions spanx is my best friend.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Vezelay

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »
Goodness, I honestly never expected such positive feedback - I thought you'd all agree with me and sympathise! Lots of good points there. It was made in a rush of course, never a great idea. I'm usually much more diligent about checking the fit before I sew. Yes, as @Francesca said the waist line is too low but would be a swine to correct just now.  (I also think it could do with shortening an inch.) Yes, maybe a belt would help (and probably scarf, necklace, cardi etc) but unfortunately I think I'll have to park that for now as I've run out of time. The black boots aren't right at all. Not easy to find comfortable bunion friendly footwear for a dress but I could try.

We leave for the UK early tomorrow so no more sewing now as I have to pack, take puss to cattery, move pot plants etc. I'll take a couple of options to wear at the function - one is a rtw black dress I wear for special concert events (normal concerts I just wear trousers and a top as we clarinets sit at the back and no one can see us anyway). I thought it was a bit dressy for the function but my black boots should sort that out!

Thanks all again - if I had another day here I could probably fix the dress to wear, but I don't. Shame but I'll have another look when I get back in 10 days time, see what I can do.

Morgan

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 16:52:06 PM »
Shorter, with 3/4 or short sleeves and accessories and it could look okay, but if that's not your personal style then no matter how fantastically well you style it, you won't feel relaxed and comfortable wearing it.

Otherwise, Vezelay, I agree with your viewpoint. 
Perhaps a mid-tone may work better with your colouring.  Blacks, Navy and Dark blue tones can be quite harsh to wear as an all over colour for some people unless they suit strong deep contrasts and not everyone does.  For people who look great in mid-tones and blended combinations, the strong deep contrast colours often work better as accents and details rather than all over.

Enjoy your trip and when you return, perhaps it will be more fun to sew something different that you will adore rather than having to try hard to make something work so as not to waste it.
At least you could donate it and make whoever does love it very happy.

Vezelay

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 17:06:11 PM »
The magic of TSP has wreaked itself! Just to convince myself the dress was as awful as I thought (in the face of the barage of positivity) I put it on again, this time with less opaque black tights and the only other remotely possible shoes I possess - flat black slip ons (dunno what you call them). And pulled the ties tighter, and with earrings (not sure about those) and a pendant, it looks....well, quite nice. While I was wearing it DH walked in and actually volunteered that he liked it. As it usually takes him about a year to notice anything I've made, that's quite a recommendation.

So you guys win!!  :). My function dress (PS, it is a funeral of sorts as well so I don't think I need to worry too much about adding bling.) PPS I'll wear it with my navy Morris blazer that you may have seen before on TSF. And a scarf to walk there.

with

Thank you!!! 0_0 0_0
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 17:22:34 PM by Vezelay »

Ellabella

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 17:10:33 PM »
That looks sooo much better, I think it was ditching the boots that did it.

DementedFairy

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 17:10:42 PM »
VERY nice- you have an enviable figure, and great legs- show 'em off gal! <3 :toast:
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 17:20:39 PM »
There you go @Vezelay, so much better. 

Lowena

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 19:19:50 PM »
Looking good V  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Surest1tch

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2018, 20:18:55 PM »
That looks even more fab than your original photo if that's possible, now wear it with pride

SkoutSews

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2018, 22:11:04 PM »
The dress looks great!

fajita

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2018, 22:15:02 PM »
Lovely!

Gernella

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2018, 10:45:05 AM »
Flipping heck, you look bloody gorgeous, legs like that need  showing off, in fact it doesn't even look like the same  dress now.

Looking good, I'll second that <3
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included