Elvistoo's new owner - finding her way

Ohsewsimple

Re: Elvistoo's new owner - finding her way
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2023, 21:19:45 PM »
It’s online as well @Flobear  :)

toileandtrouble

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2023, 22:46:47 PM »
Did it go wiggly after the pressing? If so, what is the thread made of?  Some fibres shrink under too hot an  iron. 
(my student was pressing her collar ready to turn it right side out and shrunk some of the polycotton - so we made that the inside because there was no more fabric, but she is thrilled with the finished article)
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Celia

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2023, 09:07:30 AM »
Another tip for avoiding the dreaded crinkles is don’t over stretch the fabric in the hoop, it used to be said it needs to be drum tight….well if it is it relaxes when you undo the hoop and guess what you have crinkles. 

Flobear

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2023, 10:06:34 AM »
It did get worse after pressing @toileandtrouble. As I'd used polyester thread I used a piece of cotton fabric between the iron and the item.

A useful tip @Celia, thank you.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2023, 10:42:03 AM »
If you remember @Flobear  I showed you the two or three larger cones that are poly, the rest are rayon which doesnt melt under usual circumstances.

Good cotton fabric, double the stabiliser, dont over tighten the hoop and RAYON thread is best!

Id say you did a jolly good job with both of those designs! Brava!

Basting stitch is added after you press embroider on the screen a lil flower in a hoop shows up in the icons on screen HOWEVER this is where you can sometimes get the error message change to a larger hoop as the basting outline has extended the size of the design too much.

I would then just delete the basting stitch if you dont want to rehoop or waste stabiliser.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Flobear

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2023, 15:44:52 PM »
Thanks @Imi . I did a reasonably good job of remembering what I'd done at yours and am pleased with the results so far. One of the first tasks I did was to sort all the threads so I know which are poly and which are rayon and store them in separate drawers. I thought polyester thread for practising would be sensible. It didn't melt as I was careful pressing but it seems that pressing wouldn't be necessary anyway if I follow the advice I've had  :D

Sara-S

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2023, 17:22:07 PM »
There's no avoiding the fact that the fabric wasn't a great choice.  But I was also wondering what type of stabilizer you used.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Flobear

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2023, 18:39:15 PM »
I used one layer of fairly sturdy tearaway stabliser @Sara-S .

My second attempt, the Green Man on decent quilting cotton, has turned out much better. Same stabiliser as before but I've left it in place. I've cut out round the circle and made a kind of badge for the back of my Morris dancing jerkin.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2023, 18:45:28 PM »
@Flobear if you really need to press the fabric afterwards do it from the back of the embroidery and not the front.  Use  a fluffy towel underneath to prevent flattening the embroidery.  Embroidery that is ironed looks flat and lifeless.