The Sewing Place

I don't make clothes but.....

wrenkins

I don't make clothes but.....
« on: April 13, 2018, 10:15:34 AM »
As some of you may know some of this is winging it's way to me courtesy of the lovely Fran.
http://fabric]
I'm hoping to make it up as http://trousers]
How, in the VERY simplest of terms, do I even start to match the pattern?  :o

I did try to do short links but it doesn't seem to have worked. :-(
FFS the links haven't worked either!!!!
Anyway great big geometric pattern. How do I do it??
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 10:18:56 AM by wrenkins »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

wrenkins

Re: I don't make clothes but.....
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »
trousers
fabric
Now did it do it?!?!?!
Thank goodness for that!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 10:24:14 AM by wrenkins »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 10:32:20 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't bother even trying!  You could dodge the issue of matching at the sides by taping front and back together and cutting in one [I have that pattern but can't remember if it's a two piece pattern or just one]

Unless you tuck your shirts in, matching on the bum won't show, and in a diagonal print, it won't match anyway, so don't worry
C'est moi!

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 10:40:22 AM »
Assuming the grainline is vertical in the photo of the fabric you may be able to match the wide diagonal stripes at the main, long part of the side seams.  Apart from that I wouldn't worry about it as the pattern is quite busy with those zig zags.
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 10:47:04 AM »
Good good I'm liking these answers.
Tuck my shirt in?!?!?! Are you mad?!?!!  :o  0_0

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 10:51:18 AM »
Hurrah for no tucking- bugger pattern matching- only fellow sewers would even think of it.  I sewed for over thirty years before the concept ever occurred, no one ever criticised my garments [to my face lol]
C'est moi!

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 10:52:05 AM »
If it was me, I'd try and match it at the notches on the side seams and on the front and back centre seams. Just ignore the rest.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 11:01:05 AM »
The pattern is huuuge so I may go with the notches idea if I can figure it out. If I can't I'll just keep my fingers crossed that I don't meet any sewers or ocd sufferers...and I'll not look!
Pattern matching is like manners. You only notice when it's bad!  -<

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 15:01:04 PM »
I would go with DF's suggestion of eliminating the side seams and not worry about front and back.  Just over lap the pattern pieces so that the sewing lines are on top of each other.  If they curve inwards at the top treat it as a dart.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 15:18:57 PM »
I like the idea of no side seams too.  And if the inner seam is a problem no one should see it.  If they do they're far too b****y close.  :o
I never wear tops tucked in either.  What a horrible thought!  And an even worse sight.  :o

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 20:27:07 PM »
Personally I think I'd be inclined to start with a non patterned fabric.  I'm not trying to be negative here but to match that pattern seems a bit ambitious for a first attempt.  You may well become disheartened and give up altogether if it doesn't go as well as you anticipate.

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 20:44:29 PM »
I've looked at the layout and the outside seams are indeed shaped so your ideas DF and Brenda are looking promising. I'll see how it looks when I actually stand up and try to do it.  :[
Thanks for your concern Surest1tch but it would take more than a wonky seam to dishearten me. These trews are unlikely to be seen in public (unless they are stunning of course). I'm using them as a practice piece so if I can match the pattern, well and good. If not...oh well.  :) If I have no side seams then there is no issue. Right ????  -<
I'll let you know how I get on.  :sew:

jen

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 06:43:48 AM »
Belated chiming in with a vote for no side seams. I’ve done this with many similar styles, sometimes converting the top shaping to a dart if I want a smoother look hip to waist.

wrenkins

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 07:02:22 AM »
Thanks Jen. That is what I'll try.
I've been visualising my fabric layout for cutting and I'm pretty sure I can avoid having one leg upside down!!!  :ninja:
Unless someone knows different I'll have to cut out from one layer???? Am I right? Presumably the pieces will be too big for anything else.
OH looked at (the soon to be) my beautiful fabric :loveit: and said it looks as if the telly's gone wonky. You could go off people!!!  ><