The Sewing Place

I'm making a Mermaid!

b15erk

I'm making a Mermaid!
« on: April 14, 2018, 11:30:49 AM »
I've felt very under par since Christmas, so when I saw the pattern in the reduced box, I knew it would cheer me up.

The pattern is Simplicity 4043 0630 Mermaid

I've ordered the fabric, and just been out to buy 'extras', so it's looking promising.

I just need to finish Theo's Romper, then I can make a start.  I haven't made a Mermaid before, so this will be something different - the fabric is lovely, and when it arrives there will be pictures.

I've looked on Pattern Review and there don't seem to be any particular issues, but if you've made it and know something different, please let me know - it may save me some stress!

Copying the pattern today, and may toile it - just because I'm itching to go! :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

sewingj

Re: I'm making a Mermaid!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 12:26:05 PM »
Good to see you are getting back on track Jessie - I`m looking forward to seeing how the mermaid turns out!

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 12:50:34 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this (and to finding out how many other mermaid-makers there are on TSP).

fajita

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 13:04:25 PM »
I did make some mermaid costumes for a nursery class at school. I can't find the pictures at the moment. I basically made a fishtail from shiny fabric, quilted it, and attached it to a waistband.

I also made this for me.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 08:36:19 AM by Iminei »

sewmuchmore

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 18:21:13 PM »
Can't wait to see you in it Jessie ;) What? it not for you?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 08:52:02 AM »
I love Mermaids!!!

linky

Imself and I went to an arty farty crafty pop up Christmas shop in town one year and I stumbled upon this.

Now Imself is not much good at taking up hints for gifts, so I stood stock still and stared pointedly at this and when he started moving on to another table of goodies, without changing position I grabbed his arm, hauled him back in front of the table and said in a low ... but controlled .... voice ...

"Don't you think this is lovely? I really love this. I really really love this! Wouldn't it make a gorgeous Christmas present? I really really really love this !!! ... Now I'm just going to go over there (I said pointing to the opposite end of the room) for five minutes Ok Darling ?" ... fixing him with the look and a sweet smile not normally seen in the environs of my visage and guaranteed to scare young children and left him to it!

I thought I had got the message across as he had the kinda of Rabbit in the Headlights look combined with a What the hell have I done wrong now expression on his face.

Christmas Day came and look what a lovely, thoughtful and totally unexpected gift arrived !!!! I really love it!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 15:31:42 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Samantha

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 09:31:18 AM »
Lovely Jessie! Can’t wait to see it made.

fajita

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 09:35:25 AM »
I've searched but can only find this very blurry picture of the tails I made.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:38:10 AM by Iminei »

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 09:38:27 AM »
I wish I had known about this pattern a year ago. My grand-daughter was potty about mermaids then but unfortunately, she has now moved on!

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 09:39:13 AM »
To Unicorns ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 09:41:26 AM »
This is a lovely project Jessie. I shall enjoy watching your progress.

I love mermaids too....I think my daughter still wants to be one when she leaves school.  :S  0_0

Sandra.
xxx

maliw

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 10:01:28 AM »
To Unicorns ???
Or in our case (2 year old) Nuninorns.
Love your pattern Jessie, enjoy yourself making this. I'm waiting for the day when -'Bobo can you just make ------'
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Greybird

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 10:27:41 AM »
@Iminei - I'm not sure what it is she has moved onto - what ever it is, it's inside a mobile phone and it holds her attention nearly all the time.

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 09:20:31 AM »
Progress on the Mermaid so far.

It's not been an easy make, and I've found the pattern instructons 'challenging', but, this must be finished for Saturday as we'll be passing it over as part of Lilya's birthday present.

The top is nearly done, and I'm very pleased with it, it fits Lil beautifully.  I did though replace the side zip with Prym Snap fasteners, and they seem to be a lot sturdier than the Kam Snaps.  I didn't use an overlay, because the fabric was pretty enough without it.

On to the fin.  This took quite a lot of working out, and I ended up sewing quite a bit by hand, so not finished yet.  I do have a better idea of where I'm going with it though.

The body/tail.  Well, this is today's challenge.  Boning is required, and again, I'm using snap fasteners instead of a zip.  The construction will be interesting.....

Throughout this, the pattern instructions haven't really been clear - or I've been particularly dim, and I've got bogged down.  I'm muddling through though, and hopefully I will have a nearly finished body/tail and fin by the end of the day.

The bag I'm leaving until last.  A lot of the construction has been done, but there is quite a way to go.  I made it smaller, as it was huge for a little girl, and I've used a thin foam to stabilise.  The assembly though looks quite complicated, so leaving it to the last.  It isn't necessary to the costume, but it would be nice if I managed to finish it.  If anyone has ever made this, I would welcome construction hints!

Oh, and the pattern tracing that I got so het up about - I decided I didn't like their design anyway, and drew a freehand one!  So, I need to sew sequins/trim on now.  ;)

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Samantha

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 10:47:10 AM »
Wait it's for Lilya? I thought it was for you!

Looking forward to see the finished costume.