Iminei

Re: I'm making a Mermaid!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 10:50:41 AM »

Poor thing , has she had chemo ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 12:56:02 PM »
Stalled for a while this morning - I'm not getting on at all well with these instructions.  This time it's the boning.  There is no mention of casing, but I did wonder if I should have got the type of boning which comes in a casing.  I looked at the envelope, and it just says one pack of featherweight boning. 

Well, I have no idea what that is, but I think my boning may be a bit 'lively'  it's springing about all over the place!

I've decided to just get on with the rest of it, and deal with the boning issue later.

I re-read some reviews on Pattern Review, and I feel a bit stupid that I can't get on with this pattern.  :(

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

fajita

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 13:55:18 PM »

Poor thing , has she had chemo ???

:D she does have hair now, but I seem to have lost her in the room move. Her sisters laugh at her because she is footless. Nasty girls.

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 11:08:38 AM »
Well, the Mermaid is finished.  I really made a meal of it didn't I?

I think a lot of it was because the instructions weren't very good, but most of it was me I think.  Anyway it's done, and pics attached below.

Lilya will have it on Saturday, so hopefully, better pics then.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Pinkstar

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 11:24:17 AM »
Ooooo that's fabulous Jessie, Lilya will love it.

Ploshkin

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 11:45:14 AM »
What a genius choice of fabric.  It didn't say 'fish scales' to me until I saw the tail.  Lilya will love it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Samantha

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »
Jessie that's gorgeous! I want one!

fajita

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 11:50:34 AM »
Beautiful. Particularly love the bag.

Is the tail fully enclosed, or does it have secret leg holes?

b15erk

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 12:08:22 PM »
Thanks girls, you are very kind.

Fajita, the tail goes on like a skirt and there is a slit along the curved edge where the legs go through.  The pattern calls for zips on both the top and the tail, but I've used poppers, which I think are more practical.

I will try to take a pic of the tail 'in action' tomorrow.

Jessie

Sewsuzie

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 12:54:18 PM »
How lovely! I like the sequin and bead details you've done on it. They really give it an 'under the sea' look. She'll love it!!

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

Acorn

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 13:28:29 PM »
 0_0  That is just fantastic.  She is such a lucky girl.   :flower: :flower: :flower:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Elnnina

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 14:26:10 PM »
Oh Jessie that is lovely, Lilya is really a very lucky girl and I do hope she enjoys being  a Mermaid.

So what is next in the pipeline?

Lolli

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 21:03:15 PM »
Aww @b15erk that is lovely! I love the fabric choice, very apt! And the jewels are a perfect touch. Well done you, Lilya will be thrilled with that I'm sure  :loveit:

b15erk

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2018, 08:48:36 AM »
Here is the 'Lil'Mermaid herself, reclining (as every good Mermaid should) in Nana's Snug, decked out in her jewels.  She loved her Mermaid outfit, but I think the bag, and the cheap ruinously expensive Poundland jewels were her favourites.

It was a complete pig from beginning to end, but that may have had more to do with me, than with the pattern.  Painkillers and sewing are a doubtful combination!

I would make it again, but not for a while!  I did modify the pattern, snaps instead of zips, and I combined the waistband with the main body, for less bulk. For the tail sequins I used my own design, and omitted them on the halter top, as I didn't think they were necessary - the fabric already has a silver sparkle.

I wonder what's next?  ;)

Jessie

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 08:51:52 AM by b15erk »

Sandra

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »
Oh, isn't that lovely!  <3

If my daughter was younger I'd be making one for her. Her favourite film was ( is?) The Little Mermaid....and the bag's fabulous. I'm not surprised she loves it so much.

Sandra.
xxx