The Sewing Place

Loving this fabric

sewmuchmore

Loving this fabric
« on: April 29, 2018, 19:28:07 PM »
Came across this yesterday and absolutely love all three fabrics. However at £20 a metre and only 110cm wide i will just have to look.  :'( as it would cost £40 to make a blouse
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Efemera

Re: Loving this fabric
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 19:52:45 PM »
It is nice, fabrics are getting quite pricey., not bad if you want a special occasion outfit but no good for everyday stuff....just had a trip to Abakhan this morning and stocked up.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 20:34:05 PM »
O, one of those sites that price by the half metre. :devil:

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 21:22:16 PM »
They talk about "handlooms' in the description which suggests perhaps some kind of human intervention in the manufacture.

Which to me makes the price a bargain. 
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

arrow

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 00:16:37 AM »
I don't mind machine woven yarn and fabric at all and I don't necessarily think handwoven is better. A few times I have had very nice cotton and wool fabrics. I think quality fabric has to be made with attetion to selection of fiber and spinning of the thread as much as the weave. I have noticed some cotton are just as nice after endless turns in the washing machine, others doesn't last 3 months of use. Some fabrics are more delicat to start with, but good quality stand up to intended purpose. Don't misunderstand me, I know handmade is more costly, quality can be superb. Some types of fabrics there's not large productions of. I knew someone who worked in a knitting factory (not sure what it's called in English), they made all kinds of wool sweaters, knits, fine knit cotton and wool jersey, etc. She insisted hand knitted sweaters were a different quality since the yarn is treated much more gently and you can more easily choose the quality of the yarn too.