The Sewing Place

To sell or not machines

Celia

To sell or not machines
« on: April 15, 2018, 15:05:49 PM »
I seem to have acquired a few machines, I am sure you all know what I mean. Well I feel overwhelmed by all the choices I have, should I sew, knit, bead, weave or do housework?   Obviously the last is definitely the last option.

Efemera

Re: To sell or not machines
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 15:44:55 PM »
I feel your pain.... I have umpteen machines and really need to sell a few... but as you say... which ones!

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 15:53:09 PM »
Sorry, Celia. All I've done is acquire but your 5 sewing machines don't sound too bad if there's some variety - computerised, mechanical, vintage, lightweight, embroidery, quilting etc.  Do you have many that are fundamentally the same? If so, can you use that to differentiate and weed out the duplicates? Somehow I doubt they'll be queuing up here with reasons to cull though.

I've got some excuse (I tell myself) as I keep one newish mechanical and one small overlocker at my daughter's house but she's forbidden me to even sneak one more in. Shame, I was hoping to sneak my treadle/electic 201k in when the wiring is finally sorted out but that looks like a non-starter after all.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 20:16:16 PM »
I would let the coverstitch go and do you really need two overlockers?

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 20:47:30 PM »
What machines are they?  and what do you sew?

Tell us more andy you'll get better advice/suggestions.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Celia

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 21:52:47 PM »
One is a Husqvarna embroidery and sewing machine which is staying, the second is a straight stitch only machine then it gets difficult I have a small portable, a Pfaff performance 5 sewing machine and an old Bernina.  As my main Overlocker which is the newest of the bunch has cover stitch on it I think I might get rid of the Bernini coverstitch and the Overlocker,  at least that is my sensible head but that does not always rule.

Thanks everyone for not making me feel bad about the amount of machines I have.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 22:07:39 PM »
How easy is it to convert the overlocker to coverstitch?  When I bought my overlocker I made a definite decision to get overlocker only because I know that a lot of them can be a faff to convert.  About a year later I got a separate coverstitcher.

If it's working well I would hang on to the straight stitcher, they do usually sew very well and the small foot makes topstitching etc much easier than with a wider foot.

After that it's down to logisitics - space available and how much each one means to you personally.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 22:55:32 PM »
We seem to have a few machines in common, Celia, namely old Berninas (mine are 1020 &1130s), Pfaff P5 & Bernina L220 (unless yours is the current L460?).

I have pondered on rationalising them, at least in response to others who were suggesting I should. ;)  It's a tricky choice as I love the Bernina sewing machines most of all but there have been odd times when I've needed the PP5 capabilities so I've hung onto it despite its resale value.

Oh dear, I'm really not helping, am I?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

arrow

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 23:30:39 PM »
I don't know what type of sewing you do, but in general I use my flatbed straight stitcher the most, it turned out to be a favorite. I keep a freearm zigzagger, it's not very often but sometimes a narrow freearm has made all the difference. On the old models I can use larger needle size, for when I'm stitching through odd objects and using heaver thread. I can see why some keep an overlocker or / and a cover stitcher, it's the only way to get the multiple thread stitch patterns and they are fast.

elephun

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 05:42:06 AM »
I understand about being overwhelmed by choice. I used to be into every craft I could think of, and I had the supplies to show for it. I pared myself down to sewing clothes, making jewelry (beading, metalwork, enamel, etc), and making collaged greeting cards when I need an easy project. I'm much happier for it. I also get overwhelmed when I have too much stuff, but I like having the needed supplies to make my hobbies fun, so it's a fine line!

It sounds like you are thinking this way already, but if you don't use the coverstitch and don't really intend to, you probably don't need it and you might only need one serger, depending on functionality.

What do you think about putting away whatever sewing machine(s) you are having trouble parting with and see if you miss them after 6 months or a year has passed? If you find you've needed the machine(s) while they are put away, that tells you something. If you haven't needed them, maybe you can sell or give it away without worrying.

At any rate, that's probably what I would do if I was having trouble deciding; I do it with items that I'm not quite ready to part with sometimes.

Lolli

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 07:52:13 AM »
That's a really good idea @elephun

Celia

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 08:25:09 AM »
Marni yes you are right we do have the same cover stitch machine, it is a great machine but my new Babylock is really easy to change from overlock to cover stitch so the Bernini sits unused.
The small Bernini I think is staying as it is small, useful for detailed work as it has a 5mm swing and is very controllable.
Elephun when reading your post I kept saying yes,yes,yes this exactly my problem,  the balance between having things you need to do a hobby and being overwhelmed is hard to find.

I think the cover stitch has to go it has already been packed away for about 6 months,  the other one I feel I do not need is the Pfaff performance 5, its a great machine but really duplicates the others.

Arrow you are right I love my straight stitch machine and it will be staying, it is the one I use the most.  I dressmake a lot in stretch fabrics so I use the overlocker to make up the garments but I top stitch and do the details etc with this machine.

I think I might pack the performance 5 away for now and maybe advertise the Bernini cover stitch.  The second overlocker is still in my thoughts.

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 15:37:34 PM »
You'll have no problem selling the Bernina CS, especially if you mention it's the twin of the Juki MCS-1500.

Looks like you're well on your way to a decision that will work for you.  :)

Celia

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 15:42:03 PM »
Thanks Marnie that is good information I will make sure to mention it.

Celia

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 08:39:08 AM »
Just an update the coverstitch machine is all boxed up and put up for sale, the Pfaff and the old Bernina are still having a bit of an argument about which one wants to stay so I will have to wait for the outcome of that.
I think I am in a bit if an odd place in my self at the moment, I just want to par down some of the “stuff” if you know what I mean.