The Sewing Place

Stink!

Efemera

Stink!
« on: April 15, 2018, 16:10:58 PM »
I bought some lovely thick poly Ponte type paisley jersey for a coatigan from The Church....it stinks despite 3 washes and being hung outside, I reckon it’s the black dye, any suggestions to get rid of the smell before I chuck it out.

sewmuchmore

Re: Stink!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 18:03:02 PM »
I have the same problem with some bonded scuba. It's been washed 3 times but smells as if it has been dipped in petrol. I only paid £1.49 a metre so haven't lost anything if it gets recycled, it would be a shame as i really like the cerise side and was hoping to make a reversible jacket.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Lyn-J

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 18:05:22 PM »
Wash with white vinegar?

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 20:40:07 PM »
You could try putting it in a roomy box sprinkling cat litter among it close the box and leave it like that for 2 - 3 weeks.  Shake the cat litter off and wash and line dry it outside (if it ever stops raining).  I can't guarantee it will get rid of the smell but it worked on some navy fabric I had.

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 21:19:44 PM »
white vinegar rinse
or
spray with vodka and water ad airdry- repeat until smell is reduced
C'est moi!

arrow

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 21:35:15 PM »
A few times I have had rubber with a very noticeable petrol smell, when you entered the room it could not escape you. Nothing I need lessened the smell, but it gradually aired off, and it took over a year with a rubber mat for the dog's food and water bowls. Scuba has a lot of rubber like fibers? I'm not sure why jersey should smell, lycra/elastane usually doesn't

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:21:17 AM »
... spray with vodka and water ...
Shocking waste, missus. 0_0

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 09:45:20 AM »
Shocking waste, missus. 0_0

lol only the cheap stuff!
C'est moi!

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 09:54:17 AM »
Some smells just won't go. I have a beautiful embroidered deep pink bedspread which was my mother's when she was first married in the 30s. For some reason it was at my uncle's and it turned up after he died. Unfortunately it had been kept in a drawer with mothballs. I had it dry cleaned and afterwards hung outside for several hours and it wasn't at all bad. I didn't have an immediate use for it so stored it in tissue and a polythene bag. Result? - smells almost as strong as it did to start with.

SkoutSews

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 09:58:19 AM »
Look on the bright side - the moths won't munch it!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 18:47:48 PM »
Wash with white vinegar?
Tried this today but still smells.
@DementedFairy Perhaps rather than spray the fabric with vodka i should just drink it then i wouldn't notice the smell as much  :gin: :gin: Hic.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

arrow

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 20:33:23 PM »
If it's pretrol smell from some kind of fiber in the product it will air off. I don't think it can be washed out, it just takes time, a year or two (seriously). You can't seal it in plastic or pack it away, it will preserve the smell as well as the fabric. It's very annoying fabric are meant to be like that? The same for moth balls, which often is myrrh or cedar. It will air off, but it takes more than a day and you can't expect it to go away after 4 hours in the sun. I thought a dry cleaning would though. My grandparents had a chest lined with myrrh wood. It didn't smell bad at all, neither did the clothes or blankets kept in there. Some mothballs on the other hand often needs a good airing out.

Pineau

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 13:41:13 PM »
Instant flashback to the 70s when I had a beige anorak (off the market - thanks Mum) which smelt of fish despite frequent airing and washing from the moment it came out of its plastic wrapping to the day about 3 years later when I was finally released from its stinky clutches by growing out of it.

Probably polyester, definitely revolting.  :fish:

sdBev

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 01:29:10 AM »
I bought some trim on the internet that smelled badly. Didnt know what caused the smell but definitely had a petrol under tone.  Vinegar didnt work. Ditto for the vodka, sun, dryer sheets, variety of essentials oils...cant remember what else.  I put it in a plastic bag and left it in the back of the freezer for weeks. That worked ror me.

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 13:22:08 PM »
Leather jacket from Morocco  - never lost the whiff of camel! Binned it.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !