The Sewing Place

I’m in love...

Efemera

I’m in love...
« on: April 15, 2018, 16:24:53 PM »
With this... not everyone’s cup of tea but I love it... is there a similar pattern out there?

UttaRetch

Re: I’m in love...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 16:47:07 PM »
Could you build on this?

jen

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 07:35:37 AM »
It looks like a raglan with a deep funnel neck and somewhat swingy back. It could be a beast to alter on bust and/or forward neck or high back rounding
Do you aim for an accurate copy, or want to lift certain design features?

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 08:46:22 AM »
I love it and I'm so going to steal it. What an amazing funnel neck, with that crisp point in the front. This pattern from Tina Givens crossed my mind as a launching point. The body is right, already cropped for the layering. I think you'll need to fiddle with the funnel neck no matter what.

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 08:49:10 AM »
BTW, where did you find that top Efemera? Mr. Google thinks it's a trench coat so no help with the source.  -<

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 09:35:14 AM »
I think it was on one of those Chinese clothing sites... it’s around £80 I think, I’ll try and find the link

https://m.banggood.com/Fashion-Women-High-Collar-Pleated-Hem-Shirt-p-1206248.html?rmmds=categories
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:37:47 AM by Efemera »

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 09:51:30 AM »
I'd use the Burda, play with the collar, and the bottom is just two flounces, attached a little above the hem.  It's interesting!
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 10:38:41 AM »
Banggood is an unfortunate business name and some of the descriptions are odd.  'Fashion National Style Printed Hem T-shirt Men's Heap Collar Long Sleeve Tops Tees', anybody?

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 21:55:28 PM »
@Efemera  thanks for the link. If I can get to the source it always provides additional useful info. Fabrics are listed as Cotton, Nylon, Spandex, Viscose. So, main body is obviously cotton or viscose/rayon and spandex knit. It's cut at about bust line with a 2.5" to 3" "flange" of self fabric sewn on. Next level is nylon; reminds me of sheer curtain fabrics of stuff they have in the bridal prom dress area. I suppose it would be nylon "organza"? Lowest strikes me as cotton batiste or similar.

We've got a slightly drop shoulder sewn in sleeve on a boxy top. Sleeve looks roomy on upper arm and tapers slim but not tight near wrist.

You could go with any boxy tee pattern, especially one with a v-neck option, or a turtle neck or both (in my dreams). It's a morph of a funnel into a v opening and that sharp little point is a big sell feature for me.  :* I like it!

I imagine it will take a bit of Frankenpatterning no matter where you start. I'm going to give it a try I think, using that Tina Givens pattern I posted above, simply because I have it and the shoulders and sleeve are about right. While writing this I realized I have something like that shiny ruffle in olive green, as well as olive cotton jersey. Probably something suitable for the lowest layer too.

Now finding time to sew!  :sew: :thread: :fabric:

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 22:09:54 PM »
Look forward to seeing your version...

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 22:10:59 PM »
Not sure whether it's useful or not, but the Style Arc Winnie has set in sleeves and a funnel neck.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 09:53:27 AM »
There's a link to a free pattern for a raglan sleeve top (size 12 only) on the Bernina blog. It might be the starting point for lots of alterations.

Efemera

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 12:41:57 PM »
The Winnie top looks interesting...

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 16:26:04 PM »

jen

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 17:13:05 PM »
Now I see a clearer photo it’s a drop shoulder, not a raglan. Can anyone see if the neck piece is set in with a seam or grown on? There might be a Vee neckline it’s set into, but I’m not sure. I have a sweatshirt which has some of these features and the drop shoulder sweatshirt patterns could take care of the main lines.