The Sewing Place

Weekend woes....

b15erk

Weekend woes....
« on: April 16, 2018, 09:36:22 AM »
I had a few projects lined up for the weekend, and as OH has a bad leg he was unlikely to want to go out anywhere  ;), so, I set to.

I finished tracing off my Vogue pattern, and found some lovely fabric in the stash - a strange shaped remnant, but plenty of it, so I set to, to cut it out. 

Vogue 1387

I just had just enough fabric!  Until I realised that I'd missed the front band off..... :'(  This has now been put to one side waiting for me to calm down and think of a solution.

So, I cut out a nice romper pattern for Theo, Simplicity 1447. I bought this, because up to now, I've gone by the seat of my pants with the techniques and thought a 'proper' pattern would be a good idea.  Whilst I still like the pattern - only 5 pieces for the one I'm doing, I'm really unimpressed with the fact that the neck is bound with bias, and the opening is a zipper!  ><

Simplicity 1447

To add insult to injury, the collar is only on the front, and I've lost one of the pockets I made!  This last has driven me mad.  I've looked everywhere.  I could have made 6 other pockets in the time I've wasted looking for it....

I'm feeling very incompetent this morning, and even the arrival of the Mermaid fabric hasn't bucked me up.  :(

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

DementedFairy

Re: Weekend woes....
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 09:48:54 AM »
For your top- contrast band and collar? 
C'est moi!

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 09:58:13 AM »
That did cross my mind DF, but there isn't anything suitable in the stash, as most of my voiles are patterned.  :(

I have a pattern which is quite similar, but has a placket instead of a full button band.

McCalls 7094

I literally only have scraps left, but if I could modify the sleeves and do a placket opening....

Well, in my head it works  :S :'(

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 10:49:02 AM »
Why not put out an appeal on here for oddments of an appropriate colour voile?  Someone HAS to have something...what colour are you after?
C'est moi!

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 11:00:46 AM »
Great idea DM - why didn't I think of that?  :S

I'll get a pic tomorrow of the fabric, but it is mainly a rose/cerise floral synthetic voile fabric. Similar to the pic below.

If anyone has any plain voile similar to this, I would be very grateful.  I only need enough for the collar and button band.

Jessie

maliw

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 11:10:39 AM »
Oh what a pain, sorry I can't help with the fabric.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 11:22:43 AM »
Pity- the only pink I have is a paler rose pink cotton voile...
C'est moi!

coffeeandcake

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 12:36:33 PM »
I have this pattern and the back is very voluminous: the centre gets gathered into the back yoke.  It might be worth seeing if you can salvage something from there.  Although it won't be long enough to make the full front band you should be able to get a placket (and possibly the collar) out of it.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 12:44:20 PM »
Gosh, it's a looong time since I made romper suits for my little (36 year old) boy.  I may even have hand-smocked one for him...
Sorry, I can't help with your blouse fabric.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 14:11:23 PM »
Thanks for that C&C, I'll have a look tonight to compare it to the McCalls pattern - I'd rather not look like a ship in full sail! 

Bodge, apparently these are all the rage for little boys - and I have never been asked to sew for little boys until Theo came along.  I'm finding it a nice change:)  That missing pocket is driving me bonkers though - how the heck can you lose a perfectly formed pocket in a small sewing room?

Jessie

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 20:57:53 PM »
The only thing I could think of DF suggested and the only voiles I have are creams and blues.  I love that Vogue pattern though, think I'm going to have to find one although IF I ever get back to my sewing room I reckon I'm going to be too old to wear a style like that

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 22:46:01 PM »
how the heck can you lose a perfectly formed pocket in a small sewing room?
You haven't been walking around with it stuck to your backside have you? :)
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 10:02:59 AM »
OK, the good news.  The pocket was found, down the back of the Horn Cabinet - it had stuck halfway, so, romper was completed.  Not altogether successfully I must say.  Firstly, it has a zip down the back, and no leg openings (for nappy changing), secondly, it looks very girly..... (pic below)  I'll see what DD thinks, but I think one of her friends may get a gift....

The other romper otoh, is lovely, (and much more boyish) though not yet finished as I'm waiting for snaps.  This was a free pattern, from a Spanish site, and as my Spanish is muy, muy pequena, the instructions are practically useless.  Which is why, I was thinking that the Simplicity pattern would be of some help.  Not a hope.

The blouse I have brought into work to a) see if anyone has a little of the fabric in their stash which I could buy, and b)to check the size of the back, as that was the problem with the McCalls pattern.

I've brought the Mermaid in today, and maybe I'll get a toile cut out? 

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 14:13:15 PM »
Jessie I nearly bought the Simplicity pattern for my grandson but changed my mind because of the silly opening on the back.   I modified an Oliver and S pattern in the end and I've also used a freebie from PeekaBoo patterns. Not thrilled with them as there seems to be a lack of markings but it was free!  I've just about given up making for him now as I don't think mum and dad want me to make anything.  So I won't waste my time.