The Sewing Place

Walking Foot

Lolli

Walking Foot
« on: April 16, 2018, 13:32:43 PM »
I'm occasionally having issues whilst sewing lycra in that sometimes the top layer doesn't move through the machine the same as the bottom layer. It sort of gets pushed out of place from the pressure of the foot.
I'm presuming a walking foot would prevent this?
I've seen the genuine Janome ones are quite expensive and that there are cheaper versions available. Are they just as good as the Janome ones or would I regret buying one?

Ohsewsimple

Re: Walking Foot
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 13:47:09 PM »
Walking feet are generally expensive.  But I would stick with the correct one for the machine.  So called Universal feet often don't fit properly, don't cover the feed dogs the way they should and can damage your machine.  They are often made from inferior materials.   There's a reason one is dirt
cheap and the branded one isn't!  I wouldn't risk my machine.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 13:58:11 PM »
Yes the WF are expensive but they make the world of difference!
Invest in one and your whole sewing life will change for the better x
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 14:20:25 PM »
I have an integrated walking foot on my Pfaff, and it's excellent especially for jersey, lycra, and stretch fabrics.  I have used a generic one on my Singer Featherweight and it seemed to work well too.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 16:04:24 PM »
I got a Bernina walking foot & it means I now sew lycra with it hence I've used my Pfaff less frequently since then.

Shortly before that I got a generic one to try on my Singers and loaned it to a friend to use on her F+R Cub 7. She was using straight stitch but it has a wide opening for zigzag so that was safe too with her 5mm zigzag width. It worked extremely well, couldn't fault it & really don't see how it would have damaged a machine as long as you've hand turned it through several revolutions to ensure it operates smoothly/easily, the timing/fit is right & your needle clears the opening cleanly with straight & zigzag. Even with the Bernina wf I don't sew too fast.

She kept it for months & used it all the time, which was absolutely fine by me having bought the Bernina one.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lolli

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 18:06:00 PM »
Thanks all for your replies. Would there be just one for all Janome's? As my machine is an SMD1000 I'm not sure if there's certain ones for certain models and if that is the case I'll probably have to contact SMD to find out which one is right for mine.
Seen as I know nothing about them or how to use them, I had a look on Google and some said generic ones where just as good but I'm a bit dubious. I'd hate to break my machine and I'd have to make sure it could be returned if it was no good.
I'm presuming they come with instuctions for people who have no clue whatsoever? :S

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 18:20:07 PM »
Janomes are either category A B C or D  and the feet should match the category ...

Janome categories

Lolli

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 18:58:42 PM »
Oh brilliant, mine's listed! Thanks @Iminei you are a genius   :*

I do see it as an investment so I don't mind paying out for a Janome one, just wanted to get people's advice on whether generic are just as good. I'll do a bit more research I think.

Pearl

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 19:18:27 PM »
I bought one of the generic ones, @Lolli.  It makes my machine sound like a lawnmower.  False economy, methinks.   :S

Lolli

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 19:31:05 PM »
I bought one of the generic ones, @Lolli.  It makes my machine sound like a lawnmower.  False economy, methinks.   :S

Really? That doesn't sound good  :S

Are they quite easy to use? They look daunting to me.
I'll have to watch some YouTube videos I think.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 09:14:20 AM »
I quite like the click, click, click you get as it trundles along (caused by the arm going up and down with the needle bar)

In fact even though The Splurgess has some integrated even feed gizmo that you can switch on, I often use my old walking foot as switching to the even feed stops you using the more decorative switches (dont know why) whereas using the WF I can still use the Serpentine stitch etc.

The only thing you have to learn @Lolli is how to attach the foot, which can be a bit fiddly ... after that you just ... sew!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 09:31:06 AM »
I've been sewing all my life (on and off) and only discovered the walking foot about a year ago - I can't believe how amazing they are!  And they are fit and forget, just sew as normal.
I would like to suggest that if you plan to sew with lycra/stretch fabrics quite a bit, then get an overlocker, another revelation for me! Makes sewing stretchy stuff an absolute doddle  0_0

Lolli

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 09:36:26 AM »
I do want an overlocker, that's next on my shopping list  :D

I've heard of wf many times, sounds like something I need in my life. If once fitted you just sew as normal, sounds easier than I thought.

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 12:45:57 PM »
Lolli, I have been unable to fix my spare overlocker, so, a couple of weeks ago, I bought a Singer one from Lidl for £129.

When I took it home, whatever I did, the blade refused to cut, so I took it back.  Lidl exchanged it immediately, and I have had no repeat of the problem with the first machine. The second machine is working beautifully.

For £129 it is very good, and these machines are still selling on Ebay for up to £229!

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lolli

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 16:41:47 PM »
Really? I wouldn't have expected that for such a low price. I thought to get a decent one I'd be looking at at least £350 for one.