The Sewing Place

Bunting! What tape is best to use?

crafter

Bunting! What tape is best to use?
« on: April 17, 2018, 01:05:41 AM »
Still making that 100 metres of bunting for the wedding.  No, not that one,, my son's one in July.  Almost at the stage of sewing it all together.

What do you think is the best tape to use?  Bias binding (budget will only stretch to 1" wide) or woven cotton tape.

Renegade Sewist

Re: Bunting! What tape is best to use?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 05:23:48 AM »
You are becoming the Bunting Queen. Perhaps @DementedFairy is the best one to assist with bunting. (cough, cough)

I think it depends on how permanent you want it to be and how long each continuous length will be-the structural needs of say 5 meters is different from 50 meters.  >:) Will the bunting get cut down into 3-5 meter lengths to be given to guests or bridal party members as mementos after the party? Am I creating a new nightmare by even suggesting that? I think it would be a cool souvenir.  :flower:

When I made my bunting to use every year at Hallowe'en I used cotton twill. Bias is pretty stretchy and if you're stringing up long lengths it can get pretty droopy. Several sources in the UK list bunting tape, which is variously colored cotton twill. Some comes with a crease woven down the middle, like fold over elastic has, to make folding it easy. Another less expensive option might be rayon seam tape. It comes in 100 yard rolls for about $10, or 7 UK pounds. It would handle as much weight over a big distance.

You've just made me think about the structural engineering needs of bunting.  >< Weight of flags over x distance, indoor or outdoor, where wind and rain might come into play, etc. It's too much to think about.  :gin:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 08:49:45 AM »
You are becoming the Bunting Queen. Perhaps @DementedFairy is the best one to assist with bunting. (cough, cough)
Do you want a good :fish:  0_0

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
I was just going to suggest that @DementedFairy would be the Gal to ask, what with her extensive knowledge (and dare I mention love ... think the girl doth protest too much!!) of bunting combined with her access to Brum's Rag Market.

When I had to make the dreaded stuff last year I used a roll of woven (I think) tape ...

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

crafter

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 09:10:38 AM »
No. Definately not the Bunting Queen!  Although it can look okay in this rural area on occasions.

So, when your almost 40 only son announces he is getting married (shock!! thought he was going to be a batchelor all his life) and says "can I borrow your sewing machine to make some bunting, I want to achieve this"
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/492862752955321802/
well of course, you offer to do it.  He's never sewn a stitch in his life.

It was then that I should have got the  :fish:

crafter

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:16:06 AM »
Iminei, that bunting is beautiful.  Got me thinking about the spacing now.  I was going to have a 2" gap between but yours looks much better.  Even more flags to make.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 09:23:24 AM »
I think the fold-over tape that Renegade Sewist mentioned sounds good - no idea where you'd get it though!  Personally I'd leave a little gap between each triangle, the size would depend on the size of the triangles I guess?

PS - Disclaimer - I have never made bunting in my life  0_0

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 09:28:40 AM »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 09:57:12 AM »
I love bunting and always use straight woven tape.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 10:46:28 AM »
When I did the bunting for DD's wedding, I used twice folded binding - but not cut on the bias - I think I used white taffeta.
I was then able to slot the binding between the folds, and stitched it down.  I'm sure a cotton or poly cotton would do just as well.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Roger

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 18:22:55 PM »
Last time I made bunting.... I used a book of silk and upholstery samples the silk was pinked edged squares and the upholstery fabrics were riotous... I used upholstery piping (fine rope wrapped in fabric with a little flat fabric tape/allowance) that worked well because I could finish the seam of the pennants around the piping allowance.
The downside was that the pennants couldn’t have much space between them because of the allowance.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

crafter

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 23:41:58 PM »
Last time I made bunting.... I used a book of silk and upholstery samples the silk was pinked edged squares and the upholstery fabrics were riotous... I used upholstery piping (fine rope wrapped in fabric with a little flat fabric tape/allowance) that worked well because I could finish the seam of the pennants around the piping allowance.
The downside was that the pennants couldn’t have much space between them because of the allowance.

Hmm, interesting.  I have a black bag full of piping left over from when I worked for that loose cover company that advertises in the Sunday's.  It isn't covered but I could cover it myself as I could see that the piped effect could be a very good finish.

On the other hand, this bunting will likely finish up in my loft until the year dot, once used.  I suppose I could try to sell it on ebay.  As the former is more likely, do I need to take so much care over it.

So far, I have 222 pennants of the 500 I need.  Thanks goodness the wedding is another two months away.