The Sewing Place

Dragonfly Fabrics - change to half metres

sewingj

Dragonfly Fabrics - change to half metres
« on: April 17, 2018, 12:42:27 PM »
Just had an email from Dragonfly to say they will now be selling and pricing in half metres in order for them to sell on other online outlets (ebay?)

I don`t know if this is a problem or not really.  I can`t remember if I was previously able to buy in fractions of a metre - if it used to be in full metres, being able to buy in multiples of a half would be better.  It can feel a bit misleading seeing the price though when you assume it is for the full metre

I`ve always found them very good to deal with so I hope they aren`t making other changes

UttaRetch

Re: Dragonfly Fabrics - change to half metres
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 16:18:10 PM »
I agree with you.  I think it's a bit underhand pricing by the half metre - others will disagree - and would put me off were I an online shopper.

Starryfish

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 16:24:27 PM »
The change to half metres appears on every page, right next to the box for adding to your basket. It couldn't be clearer. I like the ability to buy in half metre increments, 2m is too much for normal trousers or long sleeved tops or jackets.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 17:39:30 PM »
Patchwork fabrics are always priced in 1/4mtrs, so I wouldn't expect anything else.....1/2m would be a bonus  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 19:19:42 PM »
@Starryfish: being able to buy in increments of less than a metre is not the same as pricing by the half-meter and is potentially misleading.  Bricks and mortar shops do not price by anything less than a metre and will tell you the smallest increment at which it will sell. 

Maybe you think I protest too much as I don't shop online for fabric, but clarity is everything and a business owner does not get my custom if I am confused.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 23:38:53 PM »
As I said an another siimilar thread recently, it's the software behind the shopping trolly that's the culprit, unless they have paid a lot of money for a high-end product it will only recognise whole units.  So, if the unit is designated as 1 m they can only sell in whole metres, if the designated unit is 0.5 metres they can sell in half metres but the unit price has to be half of the cost per metre.  That's OK if the general blurb makes it clear and says something like £4.99 per half metre = £9.98 per metre.

Ideally they should be selling in units of 0.25m or better still units of 0.1m (maybe with a minimum cut).
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 23:42:51 PM »
Patchwork fabrics are always priced in 1/4mtrs, so I wouldn't expect anything else.....1/2m would be a bonus  :D

Patchwork fabrics are often sold in 1/4 metrs and in fat quarters (which in UK should be a metric FQ, not an imperial FQ unless made very clear on the packaging/blurb).  The same fabrics are usually also available by the metre.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 17:47:23 PM »
 Sell it how you want but....PRICE IT IN BLOODY METERS....sorry but it’s a pet hate of mine

sewmuchmore

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 21:06:42 PM »
Is it just me or do the fabrics on Dragonfly seem to have shot up in price now they are priced by the half meter?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Nevis5

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 09:31:25 AM »
Is it just me or do the fabrics on Dragonfly seem to have shot up in price now they are priced by the half meter?

No, I agree.  I thought the same of Fabric Godmother too.....

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 21:25:56 PM »
Sell it how you want but....PRICE IT IN BLOODY METERS....sorry but it’s a pet hate of mine

Mine too and I've noticed a lot of sites that sell by the meter and half meter charge more for the half by up to £1  :angry: