The Sewing Place

Prym Snap Suppliers?

b15erk

Prym Snap Suppliers?
« on: April 17, 2018, 13:01:17 PM »
I've been finding lately, that I've fallen out of love with KamSnaps.  Nothing they've done you understand, but I think they limit me to use for just Children's wear, and I would like to use snaps for some of my own stuff.

I've tried the really cheap kits you get with sample snaps, and they are not really the quality I want, I also wanted Nickel Free if possible.  I found what I wanted on Ebay yesterday afternoon, and I've just received these snaps from a company called ProSewDarlington,  David Pegg - not sure which is the name of the company.

Prym Snaps

Delivery was excellent, and the pack was cheaper than any of the others I looked at, but I would like to buy in bigger quantities.  Problem is, I want larger quantities, and not sure that some of the companies out there would be selling genuine Prym snaps.  They say they are, but I've been taken in by them before, which is why I've bought in branded packs.

So, my question is, does anyone know where I can buy genuine Prym Snap fasteners, at a reasonable price - preferably Nickel Free?

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

MrsThrifty

Re: Prym Snap Suppliers?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 14:01:49 PM »
I've just replenished my original stash of Prym jersey fasteners with these ones. They have Prym branded on the inside ring and have behaved as well as the initial lot that came with the setting tool. I used 10 of them today on an overalls project for my Little Ted and not one misfire. Yay!

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 15:03:14 PM »
MissThrifty thank you for that!  I looked at that company yesterday, but wasn't sure if the Prym brand was legit.  I've looked at some cheap snaps - even bought a set - and they are such poor quality.

Now I just need to settle on a tool..... ;)  Trying out the tools I have, the results are very poor.

So for now, it will be a good ole hammer!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 15:17:35 PM »
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I feel the same about Kam Snaps now and I've always found them rather challenging on the hands. Some of the metal ones use a hammer so I'm pondering on that option.

Don't forget to update us.  :)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 15:27:08 PM »
MS, I've trawled many websites and Youtube videos, and a lot seem to advocate the Prym Vario (?) tool.  I have the Kam Snap Plier, and wonder if it can be adapted to suit the Prym snaps.

I bought a set of really cheap snaps, rivets and grommets(?), which came with a free tool, and also various other pliers which I've seen on offer at various times - I have yet to make a decent rivet, or pair of snaps with any of them.

I have though, got a cheap metal rivet set which I've used to set rivets in a handbag, and that's OK.

At the moment, I'm going to settle for the free tool with the Prym snaps, and a hammer!

Jessie

StitchinTime

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 15:28:29 PM »
@b15erk Do you have the Prym Vario pliers? I use these for the Prym metal and plastic snaps and for eyelets with quite a low failure rate (though perhaps I've not done enough to draw a firm conclusion).

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 15:42:20 PM »
I`m following this thread with interest too as I tried putting in some metal snaps a couple of years ago (I think they were Prym) using a hammer and failed miserably.  I had to bash them so hard that they distorted

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 15:57:44 PM »
I'm also following with interest as I had metal snap disasters a while back (some Prym, some not).  Some wouldn't go on, some went on ok but then wouldn't close and one went on just fine, closed just fine and could then not be prised apart even by DH with a screwdriver.  I've been put off trying them since.
Life's too short for ironing.

MrsThrifty

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 00:49:07 AM »
I highly recommend the Vario pliers. I bought them originally to set eyelets and grommets for corsetry, which they were great for. When I wanted to branch out into KAM snaps I saw Prym made their own of those and there was a setting tool for use with the Vario pliers, so I grabbed some and was impressed. The most I have to do is trim them KAM stem if the fabric is on the thin side, other than that they've been great. The first lot of jersey snaps I tried were from my local habby chain, and they were awful. The prongs didn't line up and the setting tool was the hammer type, so I had to find somewhere that I wouldn't damage to use them- too much faff! That's what brought me to the Prym jersey snaps and the tool- I already had the pliers! The pliers have their drawbacks, sometimes I feel a bit weak in my hands and I'm not sure I've got them in as tight as I could, but they haven't fallen off or anything, so I'm probably being extra cautious there (and in the case of eyelets and grommets, there's always hubby's huge hands). They weren't cheap but I'm not regretting purchasing them. My biggest fear is that Prym will go bust and I'll regret not stashing more.  :P

Sewsuzie

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 09:31:54 AM »
Another recommendation for Vario pliers. I've used them for Prym plastic snaps, eyelets on corsets and the metal snaps. They're much easier than a hammer.
Can't help with the bulk buy snaps though, but Prosew Darlington is consistently great for service. I use them for zips and odd bits of habby whenever I can. They're so quick!

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

sewmuchmore

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 09:34:32 AM »
I use the vario pliers, they are so easy to use. My one gripe though is that they do not come with the attachments for different applications so you have to buy one of the small packs of snaps/rivets etc. in order to get the right attachment.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

StitchinTime

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 10:03:23 AM »
There are extra packs of "inserts" for the Vario pliers that can be bought as stand alone items, though I think some of these might be included now with the newer Vario Love pliers.
https://www.prym.com/en/piercing-tools-for-vario-pliers-673125?c=4356
https://www.prym.com/en/colour-snaps-tool-set-673115?c=4356

If anyone is tempted to get some Vario pliers but is in no rush, it might be worthwhile signing up for newsletters from Jaycotts and/or Weaver Dee as both have had special offers on Prym products in the past.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 10:53:31 AM »
This is the array of tools I've accumulated over the years.  (see Pic below) To date, none of them have worked well enough for me to use.

The piercing tools don't pierce, and the snap setters are inconsistent, and frankly poor quality.

I also have the Kam Snap tool though, which works very well, but only for the KamSnaps. 

I've played around for an hour or so, and I've found a combination which works with the cheapy snaps - I've not tried the Pryms yet!  I've used the red tool, with the less rigid retaining thingies, and given a few sharp taps with a fairly large hammer!  I think my lack of wrist strength may have something to do with all the fails! 

So, not sure about the Prym vario tool, as I don't seem to have the wrist strength required.  I'm now looking at the larger setting tools - anyone got one?

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 11:02:36 AM »
Ooooo girls!  Thanks for all the lovely replies!  :) 

It seems the Prym Vario tool is very good, so I'm going to give it a go.  Does it come with the dies for the Jersey snaps (the ones that have a ring at the front, not a solid)? Or do I need to buy this seperately?

Jessie

wrenkins

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 11:28:25 AM »
I find, as a feeble girlie, that counterintuitively a larger hammer works for me. I don't have the strength to hammer but I have the strength to lift one and let it fall! Consequently I use a lump hammer for everything.
In conclusion, hit it harder!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!