The Sewing Place

Prym Snap Suppliers?

Marniesews

Re: Prym Snap Suppliers?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 11:37:20 AM »
Love the mental image of the feeble girlie with the lump hammer. 
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

StitchinTime

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 11:38:30 AM »
I think the white setting insert that came with your pack of jersey snaps will fit in the Vario pliers.

Looking at the Vario and Vario Love pliers, it seems that the Love option includes the inserts for the coloured plastic snaps. However, I used the insert that came with a pack of plastic snaps in my original Vario pliers rather than buy the inserts separately.

MrsThrifty

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 12:27:15 PM »
If you've bought the full set of Prym jersey snaps with the foldy-over setting tool you hit with a hammer, you just pop out those dies and chuck 'em in the Vario pliers. And if you want to try their Colour Snaps dies (sold separately, as linked by StitchinTime), they work with any KAM snaps that are 12mm (aka T5 and/or Size 20).

As for a piercing tools, I love my screw hole punch. The piecing tool from Prym worked ok, but I can get through multiple layers with the screw punch on a cutting mat, whereas the Prym version struggled.

Ploshkin

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 12:46:44 PM »
Prym vario pliers with an assortment of fastenings currently £18.95 at Jaycotts (anywhere between £25 & £43+) elsewhere.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 13:21:53 PM »
Thank you all for such helpful replies! 

Good to know the little dies from the free tool fit MrsT and SiT, it meant I could pay slightly less for the Prym Vario Tool.  I got it for £11.45 from Amazon, but good to know that Jaycotts stock Prym in case I need any other adapters, so thanks Plosh.

I have tried one set of the fasteners, but it did take a few hefty whacks with the hammer, so I've decided to wait until my trusty tool arrives - hopefully tomorrow!

I'm now going to order another batch of snaps (thanks for the link MrsT), so that there won't be all this fuss next time!

I will post a pic tomorrow of the Rompers with fitted snaps (hopefully)!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 13:41:48 PM »
Just ordered 2 lots of snaps from the Trimming Shop.  The first is the 10mm Nickel free Prym set, but they only had all metal, so, because I wanted white, I'm going to try an unbranded snap which is only 9.5mm.  Both lots were only £6.40 delivered, so not much lost, and I'll be able to compare.

I'll let you all know how I go on.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 12:56:53 PM »
Just received my first order from the Trimming Shop - very quick.  However, only half of the order was right.  :(

They have sent solid topped poppers and not the ring ones I requested.  Good job I haven't got an immediate need for them....

Just waiting for my Pry Vario Tool now.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 14:14:51 PM »
Sorted the snaps, and another set are on the way to me, good service from the Trimming shop!

Still no Prym Vario though....  :(

Jessie

Ploshkin

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 18:13:10 PM »
Following the recommendations I ordered a Prym Vario from Jaycotts (with the assortment of fastenings) on Wednesday and it came today. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Gernella

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 13:19:44 PM »
I've only just seen this thread.  After finishing a moto type jacket all it needs is the snaps.  I initially bought the little Pyrm pack with the snap size I wanted and the tool.  First attempt I couldn't even get the hole using three pieces of my fabric to represent back and front and the interfacing.  When I eventually got the hole (using a hammer) I then had trouble with the first back snap. 

I looked at different videos and eventually found this video, which although in German, visually was better on what went where, which  was where I was going wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6yhNkaMW4Y

I did my test one and it worked perfectly.  Then I realised that my tool wouldn't work for the back one because it was too far away and there was too much fabric,  so ordered the plier set with extras (Jaycotts) but that wouldn't work either so gone for the tripod for the back piece (only £4 and free delivery on Amazon).

Only extra problem I have is that DH came upstairs when I was hammering, what are you doing etc. Wanted to do it, I was still on the sorting out what went where and didn't want him around.

So now when I'm ready to roll I've got to wait while he out of the way so I can hammer in peace.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included