The Sewing Place

Neckbands on stretchy fabrics

Samantha

Neckbands on stretchy fabrics
« on: April 17, 2018, 17:08:21 PM »
I've made a few tops recently with stretch fabrics but I always have problems when doing the neckband, no matter how careful I am stretching the neckband to fit the bodice I always end up with a couple of puckers  :S Any tips? (I'm using my Bernina 801 with the stretch stitch and appropriate needle not an overlocker). Am I missing a trick?

Efemera

Re: Neckbands on stretchy fabrics
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 18:11:41 PM »
I think it’s just practice...I just stitch mine on the overlocker

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 18:28:31 PM »
Are the puckers on the body part (because the neck band isn't quite stretched enough)?
If you machine with the neck band on top and body underneath the feed dogs should take care of the slight excess.  I think puckers most often occur as you are going round the most curved part of the neckline.  I use copious pins and as I'm going round the curved bit I stop frequently to make sure the bodice fabric is laying flat on the machine bed and not lagging behind the stitching. I keep my right hand underneath the 2 layers in front of the presser foot so that I can feel that it is flat and there are no little wrinkles heading for the needle.
Life's too short for ironing.

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 08:14:47 AM »
Someone recommended this video to me for doing a neckline binding on knits (not exactly a neckband)

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/2008/10/27/video-a-neckline-binding-for-knits

I found it helpful but I don`t have an overlocker and do struggle with getting a good finish on the raw edge.  I find that if you clip it to encourage it to lie flat you can end up with lots of pieces which curl up and can be visible when you are wearing the top.  If anyone has an answer to that I`d be grateful

Samantha

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 10:37:25 AM »
Thanks everyone, sounds like I'm not missing a trick - just need to use more pins and practice.