The Sewing Place

Help mending an old embroidery with sentimental value

wombat

Help mending an old embroidery with sentimental value
« on: April 17, 2018, 17:08:54 PM »
My father, left me an embroidery which he had stitched. Although not very old it has been stored  badly so the cotton background material is stained.

I have washed the embroidery and the stains have not come out but worse one stain has now become a small hole.

The hole is about ¼” diameter. It is too close to the embroidery to be covered by the frame and the design is such that I cannot cover it with more embroidery. So a mend of some sorts is necessary. 

Any suggestions as to how to go about this as inconspicuously as possible would be appreciated.  My first thought is to place a small piece of cotton fabric behind the hole and stitch it down with   matching cotton thread.

Thank you

Iminei

Re: Help mending an old embroidery with sentimental value
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 17:16:47 PM »
Exactly my first thought...

Fabric as close to the original as you can find (is it possible to cut a small piece from an area not seen ... covered by the frame or mount ??)

Placed behind the hole, maybe just placed or fused or stitched ... but I'm no expert by any means.

Hope you find a solution.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

sewmuchmore

Re: Help mending an old embroidery with sentimental value
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 17:50:34 PM »
Is there enough fabric around the edges to be able to pull a few decent lengths of thread to be able to darn over the hole?Or there is this I haven't used it myself so don't know what it will be like.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet