The Sewing Place

How much!?!?!?!

wrenkins

Re: How much!?!?!?!
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 10:52:25 AM »
I had no idea I was saving myself so much money.  :o
I've only ever had two sets of curtains made and they were for my sitting room and absolutely huge. It took two of us to lift them into the car! No way I was starting to heave that lot about.
Oh I do understand all of that if that's what I was getting...but I wasn't! The £129 seemed more realistic to me for the boxes I ticked.
I once made LA curtains for my SIL. Never again! She finally undertood why I was going mad when she used their wallpaper. Boy does it stretch!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Seweasy

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 16:17:36 PM »
I can only agree with Fran and Bloobell, having only ever made my own curtains, including swags and tails for rooms with  nine foot high ceilings...your body.... and soul takes a beating... >:) :S :D... I much prefer to make roman blinds these days, hand sewing them takes time, but they're not as heavy... :)
I'm so much better at buying fabric, than  I am at using it up....

Sewingforfun

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 14:51:01 PM »
Having made one pair of hand interlined curtains (1 ½ widths/curtain, 225cm long), I was more than happy to pay £300/pair for making plus the fabric for another pair the same size!! It seems cheap at the price compared to a lot of other things. They aren't easy to make well, and as everyone else is saying, so heavy and so big.... Good, well made curtains last for ages, though, so it's a long term investment.
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Gernella

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2018, 16:11:05 PM »
I think you have to class curtains as  an investment.  The ones in our dining room and lounge cost nearly £1250 (Two long curtains, one to just below window sill), that was around 1996 and I was working.  They are still up and I have never got fed up of them (thank goodness), but I remember when I bought them the assistant did  remark on them being an investment.   I have made them in the past but it was a faff and you need a lot of space.  These were also a pinch pleat so I think they take more fabric.   Bedroom curtains I buy ready made and just shorten to suit, plus for some reason I feel the need to change them more often.

I did get a new front door curtain made around 2009 and I think that was around £280 for about a 7/8 ft wide and was a bit miffed because there was some puckering on the seam.  I couldn't do much about it because they had been sat in the box for weeks while I got round to decorating.  I got a sample first, enough to make a cushion on one side and I didn't get any puckering so it  wasn't funny fabric.

It's a lot of money but I wouldn't want to manhandle them or cock up any pattern matching or fancy tops. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included