The Sewing Place

What I really, really want

Iminei

What I really, really want
« on: March 16, 2017, 06:54:58 AM »
.........is a machine that has a laser light or something that shines a straight line ahead of the needle position.

I quilt a lot of straight lines and some of them aren't quite as straight as they should be!
I have used (a whole roll of) masking tape before (on the February BOM wall-hanging)

but surely some smart boffin could invent a straight laser light ruler thingymy .....or....

Is there already something out there ????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

Ploshkin

Re: What I really, really want
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 09:14:43 AM »
I wondered how you got your lines so perfect on the lantern quilt Iminei.  I have used power tools with built in lasers.  I'm sure there's something suitable out there even if not intended for sewing
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 09:27:14 AM »
So can you tell me about the first of those links...

the one the reviewer says is on her babylock machine?
Is that a retro fitted device or built into her sewing machine?

The other link seems to be for hooped embroidery designs....

and yes why are they on power tools and not sewing machines???

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 12:39:07 PM »
If you look further down that piece there is a link to 'things to pinch from your man's tool box'  (of course us poor women wouldn't have a tool box would we!)  There is a laser marker there on an old sewing machine.  It is on Amazon uk for £44.77 just type laser marker in search.  There are probably others about too.
(Sorry I can't put on a link with my kindle)
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »
Thanks hon, I shall investigate that....

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 12:49:21 PM »
That's great! I'd just like something that enables me to sew black on black. I've daylight bulbs in the sewing room but that doesn't help at all! This could be why I"m not feeling the lurve for these costumes :'(
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 13:29:14 PM »
hubby bought me a really good (and remarkably inexpensive) adjustable table worklight for Christmas....

But unfortunately Poole lighting (which don't open on Saturdays, but do on Sundays...go figure) have the c***** website I have ever seen so I can't show you!

Not daylight bulbs but LEDs that make it easy to sew black on black or white on white.

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 22:16:13 PM »
Ah, LEDs OK. I'm going to re-organise my workroom once I can see the floor again, I think new  lighting might be on the cards.

I'm getting fed up  with the sun streaming in through the windows in the late afternoon,  and into my face, so I can't see anything ( of any colour) when I'm using the overlockers unless  I lower the blinds and that's no fun when the sun is shining! ( never satisfied, me!)
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Didi

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 16:54:21 PM »
My machine, a Husqvarna Opal has LED lights even those little ones on the machine make seeing what you are doing so much easier. On my old machine a brother I had a directional LED lamp otherwise I couhad don't see what I was doing. I like the idea of a laser pointer I think some of the very expensive Brothers have them I have a laser pointer I use for teaching I wonder if I could stick the button down and attach it to the machine somehow  0_0 might be a bit of a Heath Robinson moment  :D

rubywishes

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 08:37:44 AM »
I wonder whether looking at the laser light that is pointed basically in your direction for a period of time might not be all that good for your eyes? Just thinking.....
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 09:10:08 AM »
Could have done with it (again!) yesterday as I was quilting the mystery quilt...
lots of straight lines but Im very happy with it!!!

crooknees

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 17:26:17 PM »
DH gave me a stick on strip of LED lights for Christmas. He got them from Amazon and they come with everything needed including the plug. The strip of lights stick to the underneath of the arm. I've not tried them yet. (They have become buried under the piles of 'stuff' awaiting my attention in the sewing room). Where I should be now attending to said 'stuff', instead of browsing TSP !

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 20:26:51 PM »
What you want, what you really, really want is one of these :devil:
https://www.weeklee.co/products/smart-sewer

Don't forget to look at the video!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 20:29:31 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Vegegrow

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 20:52:23 PM »
What you want, what you really, really want is one of these :devil:
https://www.weeklee.co/products/smart-sewer

Don't forget to look at the video!

Oh Brenda all my sewing problems are solved that's amazing..no more :sew: why did we ever need :vintage:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz