The Sewing Place

Love to Sew Podcast

classical retro

Love to Sew Podcast
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:59:55 AM »
I look forward to listening to this podcast weekly. Most of the episodes are interesting. This week's episode is especially good. Ever heard of a seam stick?  Needle board? But also talks about handstitching, so has wide appeal I think.
CR :angel:

BrendaP

Re: Love to Sew Podcast
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 09:47:42 AM »
Sorry I couldn't bear to listen to it.  Several minutes of drivel with no substance....Aghhhh!

A needleboard is used for pressing velvet, yes I knew that and I see from the website that a seam stick is just a length of curved wooden beading.  Presumably the curve in the wood means that it allows you to get pressure from the iron onto the seam only without without leaving an imprint of the seam allowances on the right side of the fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 09:58:19 AM »
I hadn't heard of either. It's amazing how you can spend 50 years sewing and still come across aids you didn't know about. I was also interested in @b15erk s post about welt pockets to see the strips of card and something else (Velcro?) that were used to keep stitching straight and for pressing seams open.

classical retro

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »
Brenda you have to get past the introductory bit and the girly giggling is offputting too, so I often ff that bit.
Maybe the links will be useful?
CR :angel:

lakaribane

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 14:08:24 PM »
Is it the one with the two Canadians? I tried to listen but they giggle way too much for my sanity. They also, just like AALLLL THE OTHERRR PODCASTS, fangirl over all the same Indie sewing celebrities.

How many interviews of Closet Case File's owner etc. must I endure in this lifetime?

I much prefer the mother and daughter duo of Americans but I can't remember the name.

Dare I say that the "if it makes you happy" mantra all these people practice really grates me? When you do the thing that supposedly "makes you happy" *eyeroll* is the stitch/garment/hem straight, flat and resistant? That's what I want to know!!!!

Oh, and Threads magazine also has a podcast now! Started in February?