The Sewing Place

Can anyone recommend a good pin cushion

Iminei

Can anyone recommend a good pin cushion
« on: March 16, 2017, 07:28:18 AM »
I have at present a green stuffed mouse, (which is yonks old) which is cute and all...
But the needles (which is all I need it for really now I'm deep in the realms of the dark side) bury themselves inside it only showing their sharp bits when I least want it, usually into my fingers or palms of my hand!!!

Any recommendations for a really good needle cushion???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Roger

Re: Can anyone recommend a good pin cushion
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 09:11:27 AM »
I use a little tupperware and a slightly rolled letter from the council saying how much my council tax is going up by... the paper is to catch pins and needles when I'm using and the then tip them into the tupperware at the end... it's an expensive solution but one I'm willing to pay for ;) (I put the saving towards the council tax...)

I've heard of magnetic ones that sound like a great idea, they stick to the magnet rather than being stuck into it.

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 09:20:08 AM »
I have several of those bright coloured chinese ones, which are filled with sawdust, a giant pig, and several others. But my very favourite, is a mouse.  It was a free pattern, and I turned it into a wrist pincushion.

It is the most useful pincushion as it stays with me, but I still need the others dotted around to make sure stray pins always have a home.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 09:20:31 AM »
The magnetic ones are fab.  You throw the pin in the general direction and it will stick.  If it falls on the floor the pins stay put and you can use it to suck up pins from the floor if you have a mishap.  Only issue is that needles can get lost amongst the pins because they don't seem to stay quite where you put them.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 09:22:55 AM »
I tried the magnetic ones and they are brilliant, but I do prefer the traditional.  I've got a couple of magnetic dishes too, which are fine for 'strays', but I always go back to my 'faves'.

I'm an old fashioned girl.... ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 09:24:36 AM »
Beyond Measure have some gorgeous wooden and leather pin cushions. Someday I might treat myself to one of them.
https://shopbeyondmeasure.co.uk/shop/wooden-things/
https://shopbeyondmeasure.co.uk/shop/leather-goods/

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 09:30:03 AM »
Love the wooden ones!!!! drool...

but surely you could as you lot are so creative make a round pincushion to fit into a turned wood thinymy...
Sure that would be cheaper...£17 is quite a lot ?!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 09:47:40 AM »

but surely you could as you lot are so creative make a round pincushion to fit into a turned wood thinymy...

It's a handmade item, local, small business. £17 seems too cheap for something that the creator has probably put a lot of effort in.

SkoutSews

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 10:15:41 AM »
I don't put needles in a pincushion.  I have a needle case I made when I was 11, so yes, it's very old!  It's like a small book with the cover made from cross stitch canvas and the 'pages' from pieces of felt.  The needles are stored in the felt.  When I'm handsewing and need to put the needle down, it will stick upright in the cover for a short time.

For pins I have a lace pincushion bought as a souvenir from Bruges sometime in the early 90s.  It's slightly spoiled by having to go through the wash following my sewing room fire.  I had to throw out the chinese silk one (I'm sure you know the type, it has a circle of chinese men in traditional dress holding the plump central cushion) that was my mother's as it was leaking sawdust very badly.

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »
I don't put needles in a pincushion.  I have a needle case I made when I was 11, so yes, it's very old!  It's like a small book with the cover made from cross stitch canvas and the 'pages' from pieces of felt.  The needles are stored in the felt.  When I'm handsewing and need to put the needle down, it will stick upright in the cover for a short time.

For pins I have a lace pincushion bought as a souvenir from Bruges sometime in the early 90s.  It's slightly spoiled by having to go through the wash following my sewing room fire.  I had to throw out the chinese silk one (I'm sure you know the type, it has a circle of chinese men in traditional dress holding the plump central cushion) that was my mother's as it was leaking sawdust very badly.

I have one of these too! It's lovely. I bought it from a handmade fair and it has a lovely print on the front of a vintage sewing machine.

My pincushion is a heart shaped one with strawberries that I made years ago. I just recently switched to a wrist one but the pins go through the other side and scrape on my wrist so I'm going to transfer back to my old one. It's a bit ratty and old though. The base is felt and it's pilled badly.

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 10:34:10 AM »
I made one when I did a thread catcher and bits hold all for my sewing machine.

It's got fine gravel in the base to keep it where you put it and lots of toy filler over the top. Needles go in one end pins in the other.

I used to have a strawberry with a little strawberry attached that was filled with something like emery that give the needles a polish.

I intend to make one filled with steel wool to keep needles sharp but have only got as far as pinching the steel wool from the husband's garage.

Imi surely you want a patchwork one, lots of ideas on Pintrest.

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 10:42:24 AM »
My floor appears to be my pincushion  :| whilst needles just disappear into the ether  :| My threadcatcher is empty but the rug under the sewing machine table is "interesting"  :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ellabella

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 10:44:51 AM »
Low you are just adding an extra layer of insulation.

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 10:49:10 AM »
 :D That's why I'm so minimalist really... I'm naturally a bit of an untidy slattern  :| so, if I don't have it, it can't get in a mess  :angel: Unfortunately.. thread,pins and needles just get away from me ......and the Dysons are in the house ( my excuse anyway  ;) )
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 10:51:20 AM »

Have you got an old wooden napkin ring Imi ... you could make one with that
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz