The Sewing Place

Replacing buttonholes with loops?

sewingj

Replacing buttonholes with loops?
« on: April 19, 2018, 15:47:10 PM »
I want to make shirt which has got buttonholes on the pattern but using loops instead.  The reason for this is that the fabric is quite bumpy and I know my machine is likely to struggle to do a neat buttonhole with it. 

I`ve got another pattern which does have loops so I`m hoping I`ll be able to work out what to do by referring to that but I wondered if anyone is aware of a tutorial which would help?

BrendaP

Re: Replacing buttonholes with loops?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 16:18:20 PM »
Unless it's an asymetrical design the buttons will go down the centre front as will the buttonholes.  If you replace the buttonholes with loops then the inside of the end of the loop (where the button shank will go) should also be on the centre front line.  If you don't want a see through gap down the front of your shirt you will need to incorporate some sort of underlap. 

If the shirt has separate front bands you could widen the right hand (buttonhole) side slightly and use the seam to conceal the ends of the loops.  If it doesn't have a separate band it will probably be worth introducing one - to hide the ends of the loops.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 16:29:28 PM »
Thanks Brenda - yes I realised I would have to put an underlap. I think the other pattern I am referring to should tell me how to do that. I was just getting a bit boggled working out where the loops would have to go. Unfortunately the pattern doesn`t have  a separate front band.
I was hoping to do this without making a toile but for safety`s sake I think I will have to!

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 16:31:04 PM »
OOh OOh Ask me Miss, Ask me !!!

Ask @DementedFairy .... I asked her the very same thing about loops last w/e and she told me a very nifty trick!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 16:34:54 PM »
@Iminei   why the devil were you asking about loops - you don`t do clothes (or have you been fibbing)?

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 16:45:30 PM »

When I first joined the sewing forum, as it was then in 2013, I posted asking for advice on making Imself a djellaba, this is the second one I made, ('scuse the state of it, its being hanging on his bedroom door )

The question I asked was about sizing as it seemed HUGE .... but he has enjoyed wearing the two I made and they haven't fallen apart ... and before you say anything ... they are basically a sack, no need to fit so ....
No I cant make clothes!

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 16:57:27 PM »
I might be wrong, but that looks as though the opening is centre front with the buttons and ends of the loops slightly to the side.

I can't comment about the fit but it looks to be well made, though unless you have reversed the photo I think it's fastening the ladies' way of right over left!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 17:29:58 PM »
There is a gap, and he has never complained about the fastening and as for fit, its a dejellaba ... no fit required !!!
(but secretly I was quite pleased with this ... especially the decorative stitching (as a coincidence .... I have just been using this thread on the cot quilt)...

And thats why I can't make clothes!

sewingj

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 08:36:37 AM »
Unless it's an asymetrical design the buttons will go down the centre front as will the buttonholes.  If you replace the buttonholes with loops then the inside of the end of the loop (where the button shank will go) should also be on the centre front line.  If you don't want a see through gap down the front of your shirt you will need to incorporate some sort of underlap. 

If the shirt has separate front bands you could widen the right hand (buttonhole) side slightly and use the seam to conceal the ends of the loops.  If it doesn't have a separate band it will probably be worth introducing one - to hide the ends of the loops.

@BrendaP   I have finally got round to doing this and am now using a different patten that does have front bands.  Can I ask your advice about interfacing?  I have a different pattern which interfaces the front bands and the underlap but I am concerned that if I do that it will be too stiff - the fabric is a lightweight dotted swiss lawn.  What do you think?

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 09:03:31 AM »
I would use a lightweight interfacing, some of it is very soft.  I'm not very good at knowing which one, I tend to buy a couple of metres at a time as and when I see it and judge by eye.

Unfortunately there are less and less fabric shops around so more and more mail order.  A few months ago I bought what I thought was lightweight and medium weight but it turned out to be medium and fairly heavy.

sewingj

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 12:40:38 PM »
Thanks Brenda - I have sent for some light weight interfacing.  I only had a medium weight which I have used on the back yoke and I wish I had used something lighter now but can`t be bothered to re-do it!