The Sewing Place

By the Sea

Renegade Sewist

Re: By the Sea
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 21:22:36 PM »
Now I'm a dreadful quilter but I have a number of friends who win prizes for theirs. I'm thinking most of the blues read midtone. I would suggest considering adding in some darker than what you've got. Many of the tan/sandy colors are also midtone. When you lay all of them together next to each other, do they pop? It doesn't appear that they will. It's got a sort of nice restive midtone thing going, which if that's what you envision, it's perfect now. If you want it more vibrant adding the white cheverons would do that, or as you thought already, doing a sea & white one as well as a sand & white one. or adding in a few darker blues and stronger sands. With a dab or red or yellow in a print. My friend says all quilts benefit from a dab of bright yellow or red or purple. You've got some in some of your prints.

I do like that chevron. I'm fairly good at HST.

About half my quilts have been Hallowe'en so I favor bright orange and black. Not known for subtle in my P&Q.  ><
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 21:41:28 PM »
The silly thing is that if this was a stained glass panel I would know exactly which pieces of glass to use.  Mind you, there would be far fewer colours - I think it's the wealth of choice that blinds me.

My increased selection of blues does have a few more dark toned ones.  I did take a photo, but the colours have come out all wrong.

I'm thinking separate quilts for sea and sand, with white as the alternate stripe and the sea one having separate stripes fo blue-greens and blue-blues.

I have to work out the size now, and check my fat quarters, because the pattern calls for 2 10 inch squares to make 4 sets of squares (roughly 7 inch if my maths is correct).  I suspect most of my FQs are 18 inches wide, so I may have to scale down to 9in squares making sets of 6 1/3 in squares - or cut out the HSTs individually.   -<
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 23:58:57 PM »
the pattern calls for 2 10 inch squares to make 4 sets of squares (roughly 7 inch if my maths is correct).  I suspect most of my FQs are 18 inches wide, so I may have to scale down to 9in squares making sets of 6 1/3 in squares - or cut out the HSTs individually.   -<

If the pattern is telling you to cut 10" x 10" squares into four and then sew together in pairs, it is telling you to make Quarter square triangles, not Half Square triangles.  The difference being that the diagonal seams will be on-grain and stable whilst the outsides of the resulting squares will be on the bias and stretchy.

As a general rule it's better to make that sort of pattern with HSTs rather than QSTs.  The only time I use QSTs is for setting triangles when making an on-point design (which this is not).

Yes, the short sides of a QST cut from a 10" x 10" square will be just over 7" and I would be cutting HSTs from 7" x 7" or whatever size is most ecconomical; depending on whether you have metric FQs (50cm/20") or Imerial FQs (18").

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 07:07:08 AM »
@Acorn take a photo in black and white - the tones jump out at you and you can see any that don't really fit.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 09:15:56 AM »
Oh thank you thank you thank you @BrendaP !  That's just the sort of thing I want to know - the bias stretch bothers me greatly when using triangles.  I will ignore the pattern instructions and Take Advice!   :)

And I will do that @Ploshkin - thank you.   I'll post some more pics later.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:18:47 AM by Acorn »

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 09:48:40 AM »
I have nothing to add to the sage advice Acorn, except..... it always pays to listen to Brenda ... her ways are wise and wonderful.  :angel: I'm sure you'll do a brilliant job  <3
p.s. I try not to use qsts but hsts are great ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 13:34:24 PM »
I agree....HST's are "the go". I did one for each of my grandchildren a few years ago...(oh cripes...there's another grandchild now....drats, another quilt goes on the "to do" list!). I ran into all sorts of placement problems with the different shades in each colour group particularly with the purple quilt. Luckily, children can be most forgiving and by the time you throw a handful of toys, books and clothes on the bed any glaring clashes are covered!!!

Sorry, don't know why the pink quilt insists on being sideways. :angry:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 13:51:07 PM by Iminei »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 13:52:08 PM »
Lovely stuff Rubes and I can see no placement issues

@Acorn .... Why not do 2/3rd in blue colours and white and 1/3rd in sandy colours ...like a day at the beach ???
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 13:53:56 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 14:53:18 PM »
They are lovely Ruby.  Hey - does this mean that if I make chevron quilts I may one day find myself making bargelloes?!?   :o  :loveit:

Imi - I coloured in the diagram of the layout with sand, white, turquoise (sea), white, blue (sky), white yesterday and it did look good.  Unfortunately I don't seem to have saved the picture. 

I think the one thing that I am certain about is that I need white fabric for the alternates!  Might need a trip to Calico Kate's tomorrow.   0_0

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 23:04:02 PM »
I have Elnnina's pictures of her quillow.

The first shows the gorgeous poppy front:
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The back with the pocket showing (the pocket gets turned inside out, so the inside of the pocket is decorative):

The quillow folded up ready to turn the pocket inside out around it:

The final quillow as a cushion:

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2018, 07:28:36 AM »
Fabulous ...

and thanks for getting them up @Acorn,
I tried and tried but after saving them 6 times still couldnt get them to attach !
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2018, 08:14:25 AM »
take a photo in black and white - the tones jump out at you and you can see any that don't really fit.

Here are your photos edited to B&W.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2018, 19:18:08 PM »
Thanks Brenda - that really shows up the lighter ones!

I've done the same for my extended set of blues - without the three paler ones from the first set.

I think 4 of those need to come out.

Acorn

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 10:22:42 AM »
I'm jumping ahead of myself here, but I was looking at the quilting on this pattern.

Two questions.

1.  What colour thread do you think the quilter has used here?  Clearly not blue, but is it white or some sort of clear thread?  The pattern just says 'Quilt as desired.'

2.  What would you use to do the quilting?  The backing is likely to be a medium or dark blue.

rubywishes

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »
The first 2 chevron quilts I did I quilted with a white thread. I wanted to keep my plain sections (the white) white..I didn't want to interrupt their "whiteness" because they were there to provide contrast and "rest" so the coloured sections with all their different shades and patterns would shine. The white thread quilted onto the coloured chevrons looked lovely...a nice add of contrast that didn't fight with or get lost in amongst the coloured, patterned fabric. And then the white thread on the white fabric just looked serene and crisp.  Now...the third quilt, the pink quilt, I did the exact opposite, using a pink thread..I'm not sure why, it was so long ago but right from the time I started quilting it I had my concerns. Now, 4 years later I still don't like it as much as the other quilts. The pink thread on the white makes the whole quilt look far too busy for my liking.

On another quilt I just finished I had a huge area of just dark brown....the patchwork and colour was in the central motif.  I chose a neutral colour thread for the central motif so that it didn't interfere with the motif at all, and then used a dark red thread on my dark brown background....the red blended well with the brown but still gave a peek of "hello" and actually helped bring the brown fabric to life as it was such a large area of nothing it needed something to please the eye.

So think about what you want to achieve, what parts you want to highlight with contrast, and what parts you want to highlight with "quiet". It's your quilt, your preferences. And once you've decided, spend a few days auditioning the threads....unravel them and lay them on the quilt, and lay some other "what the heck why not" colours as well. Leave them for a day or two...look at them in different lights, and you'll find the ones that you want.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 11:12:26 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!