The Sewing Place

By the Sea

Acorn

Re: By the Sea
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2018, 13:40:00 PM »
That's an excellent idea - no shortage of books around here either!

I just had a moan to Mr Acorn about it, and he took me out to the workshop, found a spare piece of kitchen worktop and an old curtain pole (for legs), and is going to make me one.   :D  I'm now working out the best size/weight ratio (worktop is heavy!)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2018, 15:56:42 PM »
I rarely use my extension table as I too find the quilt gets stuck on the edge !  :angry:

Books are a well known solution.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2018, 16:40:06 PM »
My extension table is on the machine at all times and has been since the day I set up the machine
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2018, 21:12:15 PM »
Yay to Mr.Acorn jumping to the rescue! How exciting getting a new table....won't you feel posh!  0_0 Mr.Ruby made me a ginormous sewing table from a panel of kitchen bench stuff that he ahem, stumbled upon, ahem, in the kitchen factory next door to his work factory.  He is a welder so he whacked a metal frame together and hey ho........gigantic table complete with inset for sewing machine and miles of room behind and to the left of the machine. It is a dream to work at.

So..."onward McDuff"...get thee to quilting!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Acorn

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2018, 21:18:07 PM »
Heh - it's just an extension table he's making, although it will be fairly large and extremely solid.  I already have two sewing tables and the dining table, or I would suggest a nice table with a recess for the machine... better not give him any ideas, because there really is nowhere to put it... hmm...  ><   ;)

Acorn

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2018, 09:22:47 AM »
I have set up the machine.  I have practiced the quilting stitch.  I have sandwiched the quilt.  I have no more excuses for procrastination (other than possibly going out for the day...)

I am going to quilt with a serpentine stitch, horizontally, about 3 inches apart.  The curves of the sewing won't be in line because my machine doesn't want to do that, but the effect on my practice piece was nicer without anyway - very sea-like.

Iminei

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2018, 09:37:06 AM »
Go Girl, you and me both Arch Procrastinators!!!

I'll get on with the Village, you get on with the Sea!

Pics at the weekend ?

Acorn

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2018, 12:25:24 PM »
*whimper*

Iminei

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2018, 07:29:30 AM »
We're still on for this ... arent we @Acorn  ?????  :devil:

Cos I'm onto boats and balloons today, which is what I've been putting off since forever because of the scale.

Acorn

« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2018, 08:20:19 AM »
There will be, @Iminei !!  Boats and balloons sound wonderful!   0_0

I have quilted!!!!  My extension table is wonderful, but my harp space is not big enough.  The middle bit was a nightmare.  Some bits had to be undone.  But it's amazing how little the bad bits show when you stand back from it...

I think my next quilt will be done in two pieces - I don't want to do the full QAYG thing, but I reckon 2 or 4 pieces could work and, just possibly, save what is left of my sanity.

My binding (actually in one with the borders) is pinned and just waiting to be sewn down by hand, but I didn't feel like sitting under a quilt last night.  I have been dreaming abut how the quillow pocket is to attach.

Iminei

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2018, 07:39:26 AM »
I don't want to do the full QAYG thing, but I reckon 2 or 4 pieces could work

The HSTathon was QAYG in 3 pieces ....

But you have to choose the right blocks/pattern

BrendaP

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2018, 10:32:02 AM »
I think my next quilt will be done in two pieces - I don't want to do the full QAYG thing, but I reckon 2 or 4 pieces could work

Do it in strips - and at least three.  Don't do four 'quarters' or just two 'halves' because that would still mean machining right down the middle of the quilt.

Decide what is a comfortable width to manoever through your machine remembering that if you do it Imi's way with sashing strips you will have a full strip to the right when you are top stitching the sashing, or if you do it without sashing you will be quilting the width of the strip and an inch or so onto the previous one. 

When I did the big wedding pressie quilt, IIRC, the blocks were 10" x 10" and I quilted it in 20" strips.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2018, 10:58:09 AM »
Pics @BrendaP  Pics!!!!  before and after assembly!

BrendaP

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2018, 19:27:27 PM »
You know I don't take that many photos, I just get on and do it!  I have managed to find four though.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The blocks assembled

Two of the borders

Four strips ready to QAYG

The finished quilt.

The full saga of the making of it is at
https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,1589.0.html
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 19:30:39 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2018, 08:47:49 AM »
Looooving it, as per usual!