The Sewing Place

By the Sea

Iminei

Re: By the Sea
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2018, 12:47:27 PM »
refresh my memory as to the final size Acorn ?!

Why not hand-sew the pocket on after the quilting and binding is complete?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2018, 13:00:22 PM »
72" x 84"  (ish)

I can't believe I didn't think of adding the pocket by hand... I finish almost everything I do by hand!  Thank you!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2018, 13:24:10 PM »
Ok that's pretty big so KISS.

Echo quilt the chevrons with either

A) Quilt straight lines down through the chevrons and echo quilt the chevrons in the background
or
B) Quilt straight lines through the background and echo quilt the chevrons in the chevrons
or
C) Use an elongated width of Serpentine stitch on your machine through the background or through the chevrons.
Resetting each time you start a new line of quilting so the serpentine  stitch is parallel with the stitched line before.

Clear as mud????

Acorn

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2018, 13:54:23 PM »
Mmm yes - moderately gloopy mud.

So echo stitching is following the line of the chevrons either down the middle of the chevrons or down the middle of the white bits?  (Or both?)

And serpentine stitching would be basically doing the same but with a wiggly stitch?  (See, I know all the technical terms...)

It wasn't meant to turn out this big.  This always happens to my quilts.  It's going to make one hell of a pillow!

Iminei

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2018, 14:31:03 PM »
Echo stitching is following the line of the piecing at a uniform distance ... usually the width of a walking foot (makes it easy!)

You can echo stitch as much as you want ...

Serpentine stitch can usually be altered in width to its widest setting. If when you start a new line you reset it (as you would the first time), it will reset itself to starting position therefore echoing perfectly the previously stitched line.

Acorn

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2018, 14:46:10 PM »
Thank you!

I think the serpentine stitch goes nicely with the sea theme.  And it validates buying my new machine, because my Pfaff doesn't seem to have it and my Husqvarna doesn't have an extension table   ;)   

I'll have a practice.

rubywishes

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2018, 21:12:28 PM »
That's a beautiful quilt....can't wait to see how you quilt it. I like the idea of the serpentine stitch to keep "in theme". Do keep in mind the quilting distance your batting will require as a minimum.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Acorn

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2018, 21:29:42 PM »
Good point - I know it's with the details of the batting, but I can't remember it offhand.

Having practised with the serpentine stitch my machine doesn't seem to be resetting to the same point each time.  I'll keep on trying, but I may have to accept it being a bit irregular.   :[

It's also skipping stitches on the right hand curve when it's set to the sidest setting, but as I don't think I want it that wide, that isn't much of a problem.  Still annoys me though. 

rubywishes

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2018, 01:42:37 AM »
Really looking forward to seeing it finished Acorn....such a pretty, breezey quilt. :) What thread colour have you settled on?
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

Iminei

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2018, 09:08:23 AM »
Post a pic(s) of your practice pieces !

Acorn

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2018, 09:57:20 AM »
White thread, Ruby - and I've just realised that I need to get some quilting thread.

Possibly, Im, but only when they've got beyond their current state!  I'm going to interrogate the Husqvarna to see if it has a serpentine stitch that is easier to control - I'll deal with the lack of extension table later, if necessary.

Mind you, last time I started investigating extension tables for the Husqvarna I ended up with a new sewing machine... oh dear...

rubywishes

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »
Mind you, last time I started investigating extension tables for the Husqvarna I ended up with a new sewing machine... oh dear...

Sounds perfectly logical to me  0_0

Acorn

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2018, 12:06:59 PM »
Sod's Law!!   :angry:

I have three main sewing machines.  Two are supposed to be specifically quilting machines, and these two have extension tables.  However, of these, one does not have a serpentine stitch, or anything like it, and the other does, but is skipping stitches at random (I have re-threaded top and bottom 3 times and tried at all different tensions - I can make it worse but not better).

The third machine, however, does a beautiful serpentine stitch with no trouble whatsoever (once I'd got the dual feed foot on correctly).  But no extension table.  Not without spending £77.

StitchinTime

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2018, 12:16:35 PM »
I use the curved extension table on my Husqvarna and find it well worth the money (well, not exactly my money as I got it as a present). The curved edge seems to make it easier to move the quilt so it doesn't get stuck as much as it did with a flat table.

Kad

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2018, 12:53:17 PM »
Until I got the extension table for my machine, I used to arrange a selection of books/boxes  to the correct height and cover them with a piece of oilcloth to help with the slipperyness. It actually had it's advantages over an extension table in that it could be made large enough to cover the entire surface area of my sewing table and stored away easily on various bookshelves  :D
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.