The Sewing Place

By the Sea

rubywishes

Re: By the Sea
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2018, 11:35:31 AM »
Brenda...I remember when you did this one....just stunning, very effective.

Come on Acorn....pics please :)
Boats and balloons Im? What a wonderful world you're creating :)
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Acorn

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2018, 17:30:32 PM »
It is finished... including the pillow pocket.  All ready to go on holiday with us on Monday.

Here it is (the colours are much nicer than this shows, but the only tidy bedroom has yellow wallpaper, and it's interfering with the camera.)  The colours alternate between blue and turquoise.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

And here it is as a pillow:

And this photo shows the pillow pocket on the back.  Seriously, it does.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2018, 18:21:28 PM »
Fanbloodytastic Acorn, FBT!!!

But how does the back work ????
In the 2nd pic, is the white fabric the back of the quilt???
in the 3rd pic it looks like the back is that fab turquoise batik ???

Confused ?? (you will be!, does anyone remember that tagline from the US comedy, Soap, Billy Crystals big break???)

Sorry tangent! Ooops!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2018, 18:31:39 PM »
I love that Acorn.  I fancy doing a couple for our caravan.  I'd never come across quillows before you started on yours.
Life's too short for ironing.

Elnnina

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2018, 18:55:16 PM »
Fabulous Acorn, so glad that you enjoyed making this, and now it is all ready to accompany you on its first outing in the caravan.  Heaven forbid that you get some cold nights, but when and if you do at least this will help keep you warm and cosy without weighing a ton.

Now I am the one that got Acorn interested in the Quillow in the first place, and with help from Imi and Acorn they managed to put up some photos of my Quillow. I should add that I did not make my Quillow, my sister who lives in Canada did and the poppy patterned fabric is all one piece of fabric with a black backing.  This Quillow is extremely light and folds up easily into the pocket on the back which then turns out and shows the poppy fabric so looks like a cushion – just right for caravanning.  Also it is surprising just what warmth comes from such a lightweight Quillow.  I will often go and have a sleep during the day laying on top of a made bed and just throw my Quillow over the top of me and I am warm and cosy, I also use it a lot in the winter just thrown over my half of the bed and it is surprising just what a difference it makes – two duvets together as in ‘four seasons duvets’ are really too heavy, and this just bridges the difference.

Acorn

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2018, 19:25:13 PM »
Yes - thanks are most definitely due to Elnnina, and her sister.   :)  I suspect we will be lying on top of our sleeping bags with just the quilt as covering next week.  That's one thing I love about quilts - they can add extra warmth when it's hot, or provide a cool covering when it isn't.

@Iminei - the white fabric is just the duvet cover that's on the bed underneath.  The turquoise is the backing of the quilt.  I've (roughly) outlined the pocket on the back, which is there in the third picture (above), but pretty much invisible:

The pocket is sewed down round three sides, and open on the long turquoise side. 

You lie the quilt down, backing downwards, and fold each side over the centre, so that it is three thicknesses deep. 

Then you fold it down from the top (the pocket being at the bottom) until the folded quilt is roughly the size of the pocket, and the pocket is underneath all the layers. 

Then you turn the pocket inside out so that it encloses the whole quilt.

The middle picture on my previous post shows the whole quilt folded into the pocket to make the pillow.  I am astonished at how small it has gone!

I've probably made my pocket a bit smaller than is ideal - the pillow is very firm - but I want to be able to have it out in our very small caravan without it taking up too much space.  Mr Acorn is fairly brutal with cushions, but i reckon this one could fight back.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2018, 19:59:02 PM »
@Acorn  ... you are sooooo clever!!!
Blooming well done and I hope Mr A appreciates this joyous thing!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2018, 20:01:51 PM »
Gorgeous, Acorn!   :loveit:

rubywishes

« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2018, 21:09:53 PM »
@Acorn it is just lovely......very "sea-ish"  :) you've done such a lovely job  :toast:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

b15erk

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2018, 21:24:49 PM »
Beautiful Acorn! Are you taking orders?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Kenora

« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2018, 22:15:35 PM »
@Acorn - I'm catching up on lots of threads and have only just seen this. Your quillow is gorgeous - I love the colours and the simplicity of the design which allows the beautiful fabrics to shine.  <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Nevis5

« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2018, 08:51:26 AM »
This is beautiful, @Acorn ! Am in awe (well, am always in awe of what quilters can achieve).  Years ago I made a quillow out of just polar fleece for a friend's son just off to university - he still uses it  <3  hmm, now I'm thinking I could do with some for round here....... definitely not going to The Dark Side though, absolutely no patience and zero notion of colours  :[