The Sewing Place

My First Overlocker

Lolli

My First Overlocker
« on: April 19, 2018, 17:47:28 PM »
I'm very keen to buy one but don't know anything about them or how to use them. I've been toying with how much to spend and the make to go for. I don't want the cheapest available as I want a fairly good quality one but at the same time, I don't need it to be very expensive for a first.

I've seen these on SMD with 5 years guarantee. The only thing they don't have is an integrated needle threader (would that be a bad thing for someone with horrendous eye sight even whilst wearing glasses!) and the Husqvarna doesn't have auto tension release (whatever that means).

I've been looking through this topic and have seen many of you highly rate the Juki brand which SMD don't sell. I would consider going with another company that does but I'm dubious of who's good to buy from. Plus the sites I've seen that do offer the Juki don't offer a long guarantee like SMD do. I've had good experience with SMD so I'm keen to stick with them.

I'm interested to see what you guys think of the ones I'm looking at because you know what you're talking about  0_0

I'm looking at spending around £300-£350 but would spend a bit more if you think it could make all the difference. I want it to have all the features I'd need to make it as easy to use as possible!

Any suggestions on models would be much appreciated.

Ellabella

Re: My First Overlocker
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 18:02:26 PM »
I have the Janome you are looking at and have found it excellent for my needs.

It's relatively easy to thread and mine copes with everything I've thrown at it.

I very rarely have to alter the tension and have never touched the differential feed.

My only gripe is the instructions are a bit sparse.  I could never manage to use it when I threaded it in the order the book suggests and I nearly sent it back but a friend said to always thread in the order Upper Looper, Lower Looper, Right Needle, Left Needle and since then I've had no problems.

I always use good quality needles (Schmetz) but any old thread works fine.

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 18:27:34 PM »
I'm putting my tin hat on before I type this....but my Singer overlocker bought from Lidl four and a half years ago has been fine for my purposes.  I guess that they must be very variable, as some people have reported a lot of trouble with them, but my experience has been good.

That said, I can fully understand why you would go for a better model when you know you're going to be using it a lot for dancewear.  Have you tried speaking to SMD for recommendations or perhaps deals on specific machines?

I'm going to run away with my fingers in my ears -"la la la la la"

StitchinTime

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 19:03:37 PM »
Would you be able to get over to Hobkirk’s in Blackburn? They have quite a few overlockers on their website in your budget and it would certainly be worthwhile trying to thread one or two to see how you get on with them.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 19:19:56 PM »
my Singer overlocker bought from Lidl four and a half years ago has been fine for my purposes.

I think you are right in that some of them are good and others not so good, but how you can tell in a Lidl shop without trying them I don't know!  When I had my vintage Singer Featherweight looked at by the local machine mechanic in conversation he said that a Singer from Lidl could be a good buy, which did surprise me a bit.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Holly Berry

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 19:28:07 PM »
Before I started to sew jersey and other knit fabrics, my main thoughts were about the stitch quality. Now not only is the stitch important, but also the quality of the knife/blade and it’s cutting ability, which you only really find out by trying. My Husqvarna which is 25 years old, with brand new blades, can’t cope with silky jersey where as my nearly 40 year old, 3 thread Frister Rossmann, cuts through it like a knife through butter. Also make sure it comes with a spare knife or purchase a spare, as apparently these are the parts that become obsolete quickly. I had to send to the States for my Huskylock blades.

My advice would be to try as many as you can. If the shop offers the machine you want, but not the guarantee SMD is offering, tell the shop and see if they will match them. If not go to SMD.
I’ve noticed that most suppliers offer the same deals and prices, especially on the popular machines, and most say if you find cheaper elsewhere they will match.

Procrastination get behind me

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 19:32:42 PM »

I've seen these on SMD with 5 years guarantee. The only thing they don't have is an integrated needle threader (would that be a bad thing for someone with horrendous eye sight even whilst wearing glasses!)

When I bought my overlocker two years ago the shop in Rochester had the choice of Brother, Bernina and Pfaff.  They also sell Husqvarna but didn't have a Husqvarna overlocker because she didn't think they were good enough.

So I tested the three 4-thread machines they had; the Pfaff had tension problems, the Brother sounded really rough but the Bernina was spot on, although that model isn't made any more.

I had a needle threader but on one occasion I managed to get a snarl up of thread and probably pulled a bit too hard getting it freed up.  The machine works fine but the needle threader no longer works.  Threading an overlocker needle is a bit more fiddly than threading a regular machine because of the limited space, but vision-wise it's the same.  Can you see to thread an regular machine?  if not you can get these gadgets for a couple of pounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDzJtQXPuWU
or
Amazon

Don't pay the £11-99 that Jaycotts want for one!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lolli

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 20:01:07 PM »
I have the Janome you are looking at and have found it excellent for my needs.

My only gripe is the instructions are a bit sparse.  I could never manage to use it when I threaded it in the order the book suggests and I nearly sent it back but a friend said to always thread in the order Upper Looper, Lower Looper, Right Needle, Left Needle and since then I've had no problems.

See that puts me off, if the instructions aren't clear and I don't know what I'm doing!

Would you be able to get over to Hobkirk’s in Blackburn? They have quite a few overlockers on their website in your budget and it would certainly be worthwhile trying to thread one or two to see how you get on with them.

Yes they are fairly close for me to visit. I've recently bought a dress form from them (they have great customer service) and their mechanics come to my work. I'll have a look on their website
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 20:02:42 PM by Lolli »

Lyn-J

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 20:44:18 PM »
Tweezers are often helpful when threading overlockers. They can get into places that your hands can't. Holding a small piece of white paper behind the needle can somtimes help, it distinguishes the eye from all the surrounding metal glare. My coverstich needles are black and this makes the hole easy to see. I tihink you could use them for overlocking.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 21:09:49 PM »
My Elna overlocker came with a needle threader in the accessories box though I've not used it.  It also has a very handy pair of pointed tweezers with bent ends - useful for grabbing the threads in confined spaces. 
One tip - if you get a machine without an LED bulb then change the bulb.  It makes a massive difference.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lolli

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 21:14:58 PM »
Ah yes I've seen they come with tweezers and wondered why, now I know! Still not sure that would help as far as seeing, but maybe the white paper would help.
Good tip re the bulb aswell, I've noticed some being advertised with extra bright light or even 2 lights.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 21:40:37 PM »
I'll be sitting next to ScoutSews in the tin hat section, as my inexpensive Singer from a big box store has been great from the getgo, aside from occasional operator error.

Of the 2 you're considering I'd lean toward the Janome. I noticed the adjustment from regular to rolled hem is on the front, as well as the read outs for stitch length and differential feed. Saves a lot of craning your neck to peer around the side if you ask me. It does have marks to indicate seam allowance though not obvious. The Husqvarna has nicely marked seam allowances. My Singer had no marks but it was easy enough to add them.

You'll enjoy it. What they do they do very well.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 21:48:40 PM »
I've probably more to agree with than new things to say but nevertheless…

I can't say much about the Huskylock, partly because I've never tried one and they aren't often mentioned in online groups. Ellabella's experience is very reassuring & SMD are a huge favourite here but we often bond very differently with machines so I really do think you'd be well advised to try before you buy, especially with another good dealer like Hobkirk's nearby.

I remember my own first quandary well. I took lots of lycra, nasty poly organza, slinky & other materials to a dealer when looking primarily for the sewing machine I'd much researched then made a totally unintended on the spot decision to buy the star performer overlocker too that day.

The only thing I soon regretted was that I'd not bought the overlocker locally. It's not rocket science but it was very different & I ended up paying to attend a lesson. That helped but the tutor didn't know my machine so a local dealer would have been better & I could have popped back any time too. That's all waffle for saying I agree with StitchinTime.  ;)

Machine needle threaders are notoriously fickle & often dislike some brands of needle or get bent easily & stop working. The little gadget of BrendaP works very well (I use them for my coverstitch & older machines) so I'd suggest you don't weight that too highly overall.

Now just waiting to hear you're ripping through miles of lycra on your choice of machine!
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 21:58:36 PM »
I have a Brother 3034D  which seems to work pretty well.  No idea of the price nowadays though.
I used to use a bit of white paper behind the needle - it really does help to see the eye.  I now use those needle threaders though - and my eyesight has changed so I can see better  :)

Helen M

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 22:09:01 PM »
I'd go for a Brother. Mine is the forerunner of the 1034D (it's a 3 thread version) and is 29 years old. Tweezers are provided and I've got to say mine is very easy to thread.

I am thinking of buying a 4 thread and I'd go for the 3034D, they seem to be renaming the models as they now come with LED lights. I think SMD sell them (they are in Wrexham?)
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72