The Sewing Place

My First Overlocker

Renegade Sewist

Re: My First Overlocker
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2018, 08:25:08 AM »
Oh, OK. Try it Wrenkins way first. Save mine for if you still need it. Then give them a good  :fish:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2018, 08:31:01 AM »
Lolli, how to play it often depends on the sort of company and individuals you are dealing with and how your past dealings have gone with them. Sometimes I go with goodness and light, other times I let my inner Banshee handle things. On occasion OH will make the call for me and tell them I am either too disappointed or angry to talk to them.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lizzy777

« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2018, 08:40:32 AM »
I'd just ring them up and ask for the price match to be applied to your order. As simple as that! How you then decide to spend that saving is then entirely up to you.

Just ring them first thing this morning and get that sorted out. You can discuss threads with them after that.

You just want what any other purchaser would have got and that is £30 off the order.

You don't need to soft soap anyone about it. You mentioned it before ordering and they were remiss not to advise you about it in my opinion. No need for any upset or disagreement. I feel sure that the company will honour their price match promise, as shown on their website.

Sewingsue

« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2018, 08:59:05 AM »
Lolli, how to play it often depends on the sort of company and individuals you are dealing with and how your past dealings have gone with them. Sometimes I go with goodness and light, other times I let my inner Banshee handle things. On occasion OH will make the call for me and tell them I am either too disappointed or angry to talk to them.
Some years ago my oldest friend heard me on the phone to some company who had not done what they were supposed to do.
Her comment when I finished the call was "You did sound like your mother" - now I call such encounters 'channelling mother' (hopefully it stops me from getting upset which is self-defeating)

Apols for derailing thread and sounds as if you have had good advice. Their own sense should tell them that in these days of 'social media' bad news and criticism travels fast.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lizzy777

« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2018, 09:14:53 AM »
To be fair Sue, they do show it right on their front web page on the left hand side at the top of the page, that they offer a price match. I can't see why it should be a problem for Lolli to ring them first thing (as she only ordered it yesterday) and
talk to them about it. The company offering it cheaper is Jaycotts. A reputable dealer of sewing machines, overlockers etc. So it is something they should price match.

I don't think you need to go in with all guns blazing, nor a softly softly approach. Just be factual and say how it is and that's all you need to do. I think Lolli is more annoyed with herself for not seeing it but its easily done to miss things when you buy online.

I think a phone call to them first thing the morning should sort it out? If not, then that is the time to get annoyed about it?

Just my views. ;)

Morgan

« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2018, 10:23:30 AM »
... Their own sense should tell them that in these days of 'social media' bad news and criticism travels fast.

Perhaps  mentioning or implying that you will trigger or stoke up " social media bad news and criticism " is a passive/aggressive threat.  Not always the best negotiating tactic.

Steve at SMW has a very good reputation.  (some may know him as Sewing Machine Steve)
One of 3 'go to places' for me.

If you are not happy with the deal that you signed up for, as you're buying on line, under Consumer  Contract Regulations remember that you have the option of cancelling the order and then buying from the place you found a "better" deal.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:26:04 AM by Morgan »

Lolli

« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2018, 18:39:29 PM »
By this afternoon I'd had no reply so gave them a ring. The guy I spoke to said he'd speak to his boss & that it shouldn't be a problem to get a £30 refund, it would go back on my card next week. I said I'd be happy at that but I'd also be just as happy to get some extras instead. So he rang 'Sewing Machine Steve' then rang me back to say they'll give me more thread and some bits and bobs, which I was happy with.

They're giving me 16 spools of thread (1 red, 1 blue, 1 green, 1 yellow, 4 black, 4 cream and 4 white), it's moon thread which may not be the best but it will do for now until I get my stash of good stuff.
Also getting extra needles, some retractable tweezers and he said he'll have a look at what else he can chuck in that may be useful to me. He was actually putting all these things in a bag while he was talking to me. Granted it won't make up £30 but not far off.

I'm pleased with that anyway

Lizzy777

« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2018, 18:57:47 PM »
That's good to hear Lolli. I thought there wouldn't be any problems and by ringing them direct its all worked out well.

When do you expect to get the overlocker delivered then?

Lolli

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2018, 19:12:31 PM »
I'm presuming Tues/Wed next week. Apparently it takes 2-3 days for them to get it from Juki then it will be next day delivery from them to me.
It certainly did pay off to ring in the end  :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2018, 19:44:42 PM »
I'm aware that some machines don't like Moon thread but my Elna sews perfectly with it and it's all I use.  Don't assume that something more expensive will necessarily be better - it just depends on the machine.  By the sound of it you could well have more than £30 worth of extras - the little bits add up quickly.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lolli

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2018, 19:56:11 PM »
Yes @Ploshkin  I thought that, although the threads are 1000yds so they're small ones but I still think I've done well.
Most of the threads I have in my drawer are the free set of 50 Frister and Rossmann ones that came with my sewing machine from SMD. As freebies they're clearly not the best quality but my machine has never had an issue with using them.

Marniesews

« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2018, 00:08:59 AM »
I've never had a problem with Moon and you'll be surprised how long a 1000m spool lasts because I'm always thinking I'll only get a few garments from it but it goes much further.

It is more linty than the more expensive thread (as is my regular thread) but, on the other hand, the bright colours I use show up very quickly which makes me clean my machine regularly, which isn't a bad thing. As I run down on colours I'll probably get a better (thinner) thread but I don't think it creates any issue with the dresses in wear or appearance.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lolli

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2018, 01:01:46 AM »
I'm pleased to hear that @Marniesews
The free cheap thread I use on my sewing machine is linty too, but like you say, it makes it obvious when to clean.
They're also 1000m, got them over 2 years ago and I haven't even used a whole one of any colour yet so really they should last me a while.

Ploshkin

« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2018, 05:35:46 AM »
Don't forget also that with an overlocker the loopers use more thread than the needles.  When you change thread colour put the 2 reels with the most thread left on the loopers then you shouldn't find 2 reels running out way ahead of the other 2.  Sounds obvious but not something you would necessarily think about.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lolli

« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2018, 10:17:10 AM »
That's a great tip, I'll bare that in mind. Thanks @Ploshkin

Just want to mention while it's popped in my head.
When trying overlockers out at Bambers, I was raising the needles to take one out and went to turn the wheel backwards. The lady said you should never turn the wheel backwards, only ever forwards, and the same goes for sewing machines.

Is that true?