The Sewing Place

My First Overlocker

Morgan

Re: My First Overlocker
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »
When you get an overlocker, even if it's not a Bernina, do all the exercises in this workbook .
You will learn how to make the most of everything the machine can do and you will develop confidence with troubleshooting when things do not seem to be going well.
It's worth using a (lever arch) binder to keep the finished samples from the exercises which you staple to a sheet of paper and write your own notes about the settings on your machine.

If the machine is not a Bernina use the manual for the machine for threading and location of buttons, dials etc. and how to alter settings.

Lolli

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2018, 16:28:13 PM »
Why not try Bambers? They've been around a very long time and they do Bernina too. Its only just over 30 minutes away from Leyland ?

http://www.bambersew.com

lizzy

Thank you @Lizzy777 I've just discovered them this morning! I went on the Bernina website to find stockists near me and there they were, only 40 mins away. I was too short for time to go today but might get chance on Tues afternoon if I'm lucky. I'd like to try some other models too while I'm there, you never know I might end up choosing something else entirely.

Lolli

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2018, 16:34:56 PM »
When you get an overlocker, even if it's not a Bernina, do all the exercises in this workbook .
You will learn how to make the most of everything the machine can do and you will develop confidence with troubleshooting when things do not seem to be going well.
It's worth using a (lever arch) binder to keep the finished samples from the exercises which you staple to a sheet of paper and write your own notes about the settings on your machine.

If the machine is not a Bernina use the manual for the machine for threading and location of buttons, dials etc. and how to alter settings.

That's excellent advise, thank you @Morgan
I do use a folder for keeping patterns and have a spare one I could use for samples and notes. A great idea because no doubt I would forget everything  -<

Lolli

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2018, 10:55:11 AM »
I'm off to Bambers this afternoon to try out some overlockers and I have to say I'm very excited!  :D

I was chatting to DH about it all last night (it all went over his head I think) and he was interested to know why one might cost more than our fancy dishwasher  0_0 I went on to explain the ins and outs and I must have explained it well as he said I can have it as a wedding anniversary gift from him to me. Yay!

I've got lots of samples to take. Thin lycra, thick lycra, organza, chiffon, plaid, cotton, taffeta and then proceeded to cut up a pair of DH's jeans so I could take some denim  :D (with his permission of course!)

b15erk

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2018, 10:57:52 AM »
How exciting Lolli!  I love a new machine!

Looking forward to seeing what you come home with!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Elnnina

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2018, 11:33:31 AM »
Just love the bit about cutting up your husband's jeans.

So glad that you have done lots of research, and yes I too look forward to hearing what comes home with you this afternoon.  It will be beans on toast for tea tonight!!!!!!

Lolli

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2018, 12:58:27 PM »
It will be beans on toast for tea tonight!!!!!!

Yes! And for the foreseeable!!!  0_0 0_0 0_0

DH said "I'm never gonna see you now am I?"  :D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 13:00:34 PM by Lolli »

Helen M

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2018, 13:08:57 PM »
Hope you find what you want Lolli! I'm not that far away we could have had a meet up.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Lolli

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2018, 17:31:39 PM »
Hope you find what you want Lolli! I'm not that far away we could have had a meet up.

If I'd have had the time that would have been good!

Well I've come away without one  :'(  :'(
To be honest the whole visit was a nightmare. Set off in plenty of time to try a few out and get back in time to pick our DD up from school at 5:30pm as she's been doing her drama GCSE assessment. The weather conditions are horrendous, my DH couldn't see anything (he still can't now!) and there'd been two crashes on the motorway. We came to a standstill so we went onto A roads which was still rammed with traffic. Got there an hour later than planned so I had less time to try them out.

I tried two, the Bernina I was after plus the Juki MO-114D. I know the Bernina comes with a bin on the front but it didn't have one on, I asked if it would come with one and she said no. I went on to say it shows it on the website, she went and asked and said I was right. So we proceeded with experiments. I learnt a lot, how to change to rolled hem, how to thread it, tried my different fabrics etc. I liked them both but preferred the Bernina. DH came into the shop to remind me we were running out of time so was going to buy it but before I did I asked about the guarantee. They only offer 12 months and they weren't for budging on that. I said elsewhere offer at least 2 years but nope, not shifting so I came away without. I've got 5 years guarantee on my £190 sewing machine, I'm not paying £545 for an overlocker with only 12 months. Too risky for me.
So I'm a little gutted, will have to order online and go for the Bernina (even though it was a bit bouncy on the table when sewing at speed but I think it was the surface it was on).

I suppose at least I've tried a couple, I now know how they work and how easy projects will become plus they're not as scary as I thought.

StitchinTime

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2018, 17:52:23 PM »
What a pity you came away empty handed. Seeing as you will have to order online, do consider Sewing Machine World in King’s Lynn. Steve used to be an active and helpful member of the old sewing forum.

Details of the warranties from the various manufacturers are shown on the website:
http://www.sewingmachineworldonline.co.uk/index.php?q=node/78

Helen M

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2018, 20:02:27 PM »
What a shame you had problems Lolli. The weather certainly was atrocious, you could sail boats around the borders in our garden tonight   :o

I'll echo StitchinTime's endorsement about Steve from Sewing Machine World. I bought my coverstitch machine from him and the service was excellent.

Lolli

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2018, 21:45:55 PM »
I've had a look at their website and reviews, they look to be a good company with good aftersales care. They've got the Bernina but they don't list the accessories that should come with it like the other sites do.
Do you think they'll come with them as standard?

Helen M

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2018, 22:50:17 PM »
You could always phone them to ask before you order.

Lolli

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2018, 00:24:26 AM »
You're right, I'm going to do that tomorrow just to double check then if all's well I'm just going to go for it. I've been watching yet more videos on it tonight and I've decided to get it. At least I've had a go of it today so I know what I'm getting.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2018, 01:57:49 AM »
Lolli, you'll end up with the machine you were meant to have, from the dealer you were meant to buy from. I almost bought my Brother sewing machine from the local dealer who was really pitching it with warranty, free classes, 10% discount on accessories and supplies for one year, free service in a year, blah blah. Signed up for their e-mail newsletter. A week later got my first email, stating their going out of business sale was continuing and none of the perks would have happened. They knew they were closing when they pitched the machine to me.

Regards the bouncing, yes table top matters. On a folding conference table my serger bounces a lot but on my wooded desk not at all. Having it near or above one of the table legs helps, as does using a piece of that cushioned shelf liner. Works like a shock absorber.  :loveit:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.