The Sewing Place

My First Overlocker

Lolli

Re: My First Overlocker
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2018, 07:59:46 AM »
Crikey you had a lucky escape there!

Lolli, you'll end up with the machine you were meant to have, from the dealer you were meant to buy from.

You're probably right. I do believe things happen for a reason and there's probably a reason why it all went wrong yesterday.

Having it near or above one of the table legs helps, as does using a piece of that cushioned shelf liner. Works like a shock absorber.  :loveit:

There's rubber at work (meant for car mats), I could 'borrow' some to make a mat and put it underneath the overlocker and sewing machine. I think that would work a treat  :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2018, 08:46:15 AM »
If you ring to ask about accessories and sweet talk them a bit you might even get some extras thrown in.

Renegade Sewist, thanks for the tip of a shock absorbing layer.  Mine bounces a bit because it's on the flap of my sewing cabinet.  I'll find something to tame it a bit.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2018, 09:03:49 AM »
To tame the bounce, I use rubber car mats.  They only cost a few pounds, and do a really good job.  I've also recently tried leather (I was given loads), and that works well too.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2018, 09:39:26 AM »
Something like this is what I use. Dirt cheap, like $1 per roll. @Ploshkin  I imagine you'll still get some bounce as you've got no legs on the flap. If you can pull the machine closer to the cabinet near the hinges when you use it it will help a lot.

Yes Lolli I was glad I decided to go with the Big box version for several hundred less. Even had a better return policy. Dealer was no refund, only credit. The big store the cashier actually told me to "sew the s**t out of it for the next 60 days and if you don't like it bring it back." How could I resist that enticement?  ><

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lolli

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2018, 11:54:53 AM »
After speaking to Sewing Machine World I'm no further in my quest for an overlocker than I was yesterday.
They've advised not to get Bernina as it's now Jaguar that make them and they're nowhere near the great quality they used to be. I'm pretty certain they said Juki used to make them?
Needless to say they reckon I'd be better off with a Juki. I'm fed up and I give up!

BrendaP

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2018, 12:41:49 PM »
The way the current market for sewing machines generally is I think that Juki are probably the best of the bunch.  My daughter has a Juki overlocker and is happy with it. 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Nevis5

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2018, 13:15:27 PM »
Something like this is what I use. Dirt cheap, like $1 per roll.

@RenegadeSewist  I use chunks of something very similar too (it was from Wilkos and was very cheap, it's sold here for use under cups etc on tea trays to stop them slipping).  Works brilliantly and I have loads left (it was a couple of metres on a roll I think) to shove under all the other wobbly stuff (ahem) I own  :devil:

Elnnina

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2018, 14:32:55 PM »
Oh Lolli how confusing.

I believe Marniesews on here has something by Juki, why not get in touch with her to find out what she had - either a sewing machine or an overlocker.

Next another well known dealer is David Drummond up in Edinburgh, he sends all over the country and I believe also pays for them to be couriered back to him for servicing, he is definitely a Bernina dealer.

Other than that it means going searching all dealers that deal with Bernina to see what stocks they may have left on an older Bernina that was made by Juki.  Can you find out from Bernina just what models were made by Juki, and then go searching for them.  Or take a chance on a Juki overlocker - I have never seen one, but then there is this option for you to go and find one and try it out then you will have a comparison.

Otherwise if you have made your mind up that the L450 is the one for you take a chance on this, get the 2 year guarantee on this.  Surely all the dealers are not going to push you away from having a Bernina - and surely Bernina's reputation is at stake here -  they are not going to market a duff machine.

StitchinTime

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2018, 15:49:13 PM »
To add another supplier into the hat, Jaycotts have some reductions on Juki overlockers at the moment.

They also have this gadget if this feature attracted you to the Bernina.

Ploshkin

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2018, 16:45:17 PM »
@Lolli  I think every dealer has particular ones they push or are their own favourites (probably the ones they make the most money on.)
The very small dealer within reach of me really rates Pfaff,sewing machines and Elna overlockers so that's what I have.  He does sell a few other machines.  I gave him a list of the functions I required  and he recommended the best model for what I wanted.  I had a good try out in the shop and was very happy with both, it really wasn't worth the hassle of looking round elsewhere or trawling online sites.  My overlocker may be a bit noisier than another model but I don't know that because I haven't tried another one.  I used it in the shop, was more than happy with the way it performed, it didn't deafen me or shake itself off the table so I bought it.  There may be 'better' out there but I can't fault it.  Too much choice is not necessarily a good thing. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 16:47:47 PM by Ploshkin »

Acorn

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2018, 17:05:20 PM »
Is that the one in Carmarthen Ploshkin?  My older machine is a Pfaff, and it would be good to know there's a sympathetic place within reach!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2018, 18:37:00 PM »
@Acorn yes it is.  It's in the little parade behind the market, I think it's still called the Singer sewing machine centre don't think he sells Singers)  he's an elderly gent who can appear a bit dozy but he really knows his machines and will service and repair machines that he has sold.

Lolli

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2018, 18:53:06 PM »
It's funny that SMW said that about the Bernina's because the lady at Bambers said something similar yesterday. She said the Juki MO-114DE was basically the same model as the Bernina L450 because Juki used to make them but don't anymore?
SMW also said that Bambers definitely told me wrong only offering 12 months warranty as the warranty is set by the manufacturer which for Bernina's is 2 years....no matter where you buy it from. Bambers did tell me if I wanted extra warranty I'd have to pay £80 for it  :o

At my trial yesterday I was put off the above Juki model only for the fact that the upper looper thread kept snapping when trying to do a rolled hem. Granted she messed about with the tension and it was fine then but it didn't help. Plus yes the missing bin was another offput for me.
However, there was a problem with the Bernina too. When I took my foot off the pedal it carried on sewing and wouldn't stop, had to turn it off at the switch. She said the pedal was probably sticking because it was old. The Juki produced a better rolled hem than the Bernina but I wasn't sure if it was just down to the settings.

I've noticed that none of the Juki's have a bin but I suppose I can't let that alone decide on what I buy. As I've seen above there's things you can buy instead, or indeed make one...  it's just a feature I liked. I don't do mess  :D

It's probably wise I write down all the features of the Bernina I liked and try to find a Juki that has the same.....obviously minus the bin.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 18:55:13 PM by Lolli »

SkoutSews

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2018, 19:35:36 PM »
Although a bin would be a useful feature, I just trap a plastic bag under the two front 'feet' of the machine, which works fine.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2018, 21:26:08 PM »
Lolli, the bins seem line a great feature but I found them cumbersome and wanted a machine without one.  :loveit: I kept scraping my wrist on the top of it. After a few seams I just scoop the debris into a small trash can next to the desk. No big deal, no real mess. I can't recall any of my friends using theirs but using a small paper bag or something in front.

Focus on the mechanical aspect and how well it sews. Some are horridly loud, which gets old fast. Some always sound like they're about to explode. You want a consistent stitch for what ever you choose to sew, a noise level you can tolerate, ease of changing stitches, threading, switching to a rolled hem, etc. Dealer support is handy but not necessary. Having a reliable repair place within a comfortable drive is really nice.

With getting into dance costumes you might find the ability to do a nice rolled hem and to easily set it up to be useful. Not for the body suit but any frouffy bits that go with it. Just a thought.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.