The Sewing Place

My First Overlocker

Lolli

Re: My First Overlocker
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2018, 21:58:49 PM »
Lolli, the bins seem line a great feature but I found them cumbersome and wanted a machine without one.  :loveit: I kept scraping my wrist on the top of it. After a few seams I just scoop the debris into a small trash can next to the desk. No big deal, no real mess. I can't recall any of my friends using theirs but using a small paper bag or something in front.

Focus on the mechanical aspect and how well it sews. Some are horridly loud, which gets old fast. Some always sound like they're about to explode. You want a consistent stitch for what ever you choose to sew, a noise level you can tolerate, ease of changing stitches, threading, switching to a rolled hem, etc. Dealer support is handy but not necessary. Having a reliable repair place within a comfortable drive is really nice.

With getting into dance costumes you might find the ability to do a nice rolled hem and to easily set it up to be useful. Not for the body suit but any frouffy bits that go with it. Just a thought.

The ease of changing to rolled hem is definitely a feature I want as I would no doubt use it often. I do have a shop nearby that I would trust for servicing/fixing as their engineers come to my work to fix my industrial machine. They're very good, they just don't sell any of the models I'm interested in. I actually never thought of the bin getting in my way, as the ones I tried yesterday didn't have them on. That's a very good point.

Lizzy777

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2018, 08:12:09 AM »
I have a bin thingy on my overlocker and use it most of the time.

Regarding the overlocker moving about. I don't have that issue with my overlocker but I thought I would mention something that would help. I bought this for my portable sewing machine (not my main one) and it works very well.
Just looking up the link, I noticed they have one mat for the sewing machine and one for the overlocker ,

I can definitely recommend it as it totally stops the machine from moving about at all.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sew-Easy-ER906-RED-Overlocker-Reduction/dp/B016PV9GA2/ref=pd_bxgy_201_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016PV9GA2&pd_rd_r=1QVPEQ5D4TS2876BPM4P&pd_rd_w=vbwNw&pd_rd_wg=6VU4h&psc=1&refRID=1QVPEQ5D4TS2876BPM4P

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sew-Easy-ER905-RED-Machine-Reduction/dp/B016PV1OOI/ref=pd_cp_201_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016PV1OOI&pd_rd_r=92R4KKRM7X9F632GPYCM&pd_rd_w=JsO7g&pd_rd_wg=Voak1&psc=1&refRID=92R4KKRM7X9F632GPYCM

I Think the only difference between them is the size of the mat?  It helps a lot with noise reduction too!

I'm sorry Bambers didn't come up to expectation for you.  That's a shame as they are fairly close to you.

Regarding suppliers. Frank Nutt are very good. But they are based in the Midlands. I have  had great advice over the phone from them some years ago and they spent ages discussing my choices with me too. They sell most of the accessories for their machines and list them as well. And they show all the accessories etc on the machines they do sell. I think you have their link as I noticed you showed it in a previous posting.

It's exciting getting a new machine and I hope you don't have to wait long for it  :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:17:36 PM by Lizzy777 »

Efemera

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2018, 08:30:02 AM »
For those with overlockers and  coverstitchers this might be of interest.
https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,4149.0.html

Lolli

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2018, 20:19:31 PM »
You'll all be pleased to know I've bought an overlocker, yay!  :D You're probably thinking "thank fluff for that!'" with the amount of waffling on I've been doing (sorry about that)  :S
I do ask a lot of questions and and I know I'm a pain. It's because I'm a perfectionist (sprinkled with OCD) and I like to get things right. Thanks to everyone for being patient with me!

I've gone for the Juki MO-114D from Sewing Machine World. It's the one I tested on Tues so at least I know what it's like.
It has all the features the Bernina L450 has apart from a bin and an LED bulb (which hopefully I can change). I've discovered it's basically the same model as the Bernina 800DL (which Juki used to make), both have great reviews.
I also discovered that Juki made Bernina's right up until the L450 so I'm glad I found that out.

It was £30 cheaper at Jaycotts but I thought it best to get from a good dealer (thinking Jaycotts aren't dealers, they're more of a shop?). And seen as I rang SMW yesterday and gave them just short of my entire life story, it made sense to ring them back today with my order.
I was a little cheeky and told them it was cheaper elswhere and so would they supply a freebie of thread to get me started, that was no problem. So they're giving me a blue, red, yellow and green so I can practice threading and see what each stitch does. It'll be next week when I get it as they've got to order it in from Juki but I'm fine with that, I can make my own bin while I'm waiting  :D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 20:21:15 PM by Lolli »

Lolli

« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2018, 20:24:34 PM »
By the way, if this forum ever runs a competition for 'the most asked questions', please can I win the trophy?   0_0

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2018, 21:21:45 PM »
Congratulations!  :toast: They really are a nice addition to your machine stable. Starting with the 4 colors is perfect. I spent a couple of days sewing, changing, changing again and trying out all the variations in my manual. Only thing I didn't do was try out removing the stitching by undoing that one thread. Try that out too. I've a mind to thread with colors just to try it.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Elnnina

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2018, 21:24:46 PM »
So glad to read this Lolli, now you just have  to have some patience until it arrives.  Enjoy the tidy/bag making.

Marniesews

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2018, 21:35:14 PM »
Wahaaay!  :D  |O

Good choice, meant to be perhaps. I nearly bought the Bernina 800DL myself when I was looking for my first one & it was a good, solid, quality machine so yours will be the same.

Perhaps we should have a sweepstake on how many minutes after you open the box before your first question arrives.  0_0  0_0  0_0. I guarantee it's going to be fun for us all.

Congratulations
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lolli

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2018, 22:00:59 PM »
Perhaps we should have a sweepstake on how many minutes after you open the box before your first question arrives.  0_0  0_0  0_0. I guarantee it's going to be fun for us all.

I actually burst out laughing when I read that  0_0
I'm sorry to say it's true though! Wait for it.....

:D

Lizzy777

« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2018, 22:07:35 PM »
By the way, if this forum ever runs a competition for 'the most asked questions', please can I win the trophy?   0_0

They do have this on their website "Seen it cheaper? Please call us for a price match." So maybe you should have asked for them to match the price ? £30 is a lot of money and am sure you could have sourced your threads for a lot less?

But congratulations on getting an overlocker. I wouldn't worry about asking too many questions. It's all a learning curve if you are buying something new and sometimes just have to buy online without seeing it first. My main sewing machine is a Juki.

Lolli

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2018, 22:38:22 PM »
They do have this on their website "Seen it cheaper? Please call us for a price match."

Oh flip, really? I didn't see that  :( Now I'm thinking of the amount of thread I could have bought, gutted!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2018, 02:58:22 AM »
Lolli, when you told them it was cheaper and by how much they should have offered the price match. Please call them first thing tomorrow morning. Be a little indignant and let them know you feel a bit taken advantage of now. Imply you will cancel the order and also let them know you have several hundred online friends-potential customers- who are waiting to see what they do.

Use any or all of the above. You should get more then they offered. Makes me grumpy when merchants do that.  :angry:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lizzy777

« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2018, 07:13:37 AM »
Oh flip, really? I didn't see that  :( Now I'm thinking of the amount of thread I could have bought, gutted!

Just give them a ring this morning and say you're not happy because they should have mentioned this to you when you said that the overlocker was £30 cheaper elsewhere. It is actually on their front page in the left hand corner. And that you would rather have the price match than any free threads.

wrenkins

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2018, 07:37:26 AM »
Be gentle!!! Come at it from the angle of "I'm just calling to make sure that I got the price match ok" They know the score.  :)  And don't forget to smile and hold your hand out for the thread as well.  :)
Having worked, albeit briefly, in customer services, I know who got the "jam" service and who got "bread and butter" ;)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lolli

« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2018, 08:24:04 AM »
Well before popping on here just now, I'd literally just emailed them as I'm a bit annoyed. I was probably too nice but didn't want to come across arsey as I didn't think that would get me anywhere.

I mentioned my purchase yesterday, how I told the lady it was cheaper elsewhere but wanted to buy from them as they have an excellent rep. I said she didn't at that point offer me the price match (which I've since seen on their website) and if I'd have known, I would have asked for that deal and spent the £30 on thread. I said that I asked for 4 spools of thread to be included as I was paying more but would ideally like other colours too and proceeded to ask if they would send me more to make up the shortfall.

Maybe I should have threatened to cancel the order but I didn't think of that. Just thought a friendly approach was the best way  :S