The Sewing Place

Breastfeeding bride - which cups for her dress?

Bloobell

Breastfeeding bride - which cups for her dress?
« on: August 06, 2018, 16:58:28 PM »
I'm fitting a bought dress for a bride. She's a new Mum, and she's currently breastfeeding and will still be feeding when she gets married, in late October.

She's told me her dress is backless, and then asked if she could have breast cups added to her dress. I suspect this may be a combination of covering any leaks and also to give her a little support as the dress doesn't sound like it has much.

The usual cups I use are often fairly soft affairs, and are more about avoiding show through than support. I certainly can't see a BF mum wanting an underwire though. I'm not sure where to start, to be honest.

I could wait until I see her in a few weeks, but it would be nice to be a little ahead of the game and have some suggestions, rather than just scratching my head.

Or should I send her to a proper lingerie shop and see if they can sort her out with a low-backed corselet? The only issue with that is it won't be easy for her to feed her baby.

Alexp

Re: Breastfeeding bride - which cups for her dress?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 17:20:31 PM »
I'm currently breastfeeding and have two non padded non wired bras and one that is padded and wired. Personally I don't find much difference in comfort (but am small busted) so prefer the moulded cup for shape, it also hides any unevenness in fullness after a feed.
Another thing to consider is how easy it is for her to undo and redo or move aside the top of her dress to feed, maybe an extra bit of ribbon similar to on a nursing bra to stop the straps disappearing at an awkward angle.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 22:41:03 PM »

Or should I send her to a proper lingerie shop and see if they can sort her out with a low-backed corselet? The only issue with that is it won't be easy for her to feed her baby.

If she's chosen a backless dress and wants extra support then yes, send her to get fitted for a low back bra/corselet. 

How old is the baby?  When did she buy the dress?
Surely she knew when she bought the dress that she was likely to still be breastfeeding.

If the underwear suitable for the dress isn't conducive to easy breastfeeding it's her problem.  She should have given more thought to either the dress or the date of the wedding, or both.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

crafter

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 00:29:04 AM »
Sounds like she may have already decided what she needs if she has asked for bra cups.  They may be enough to hold the breast pads to go inside.  I am assuming that's what used these days, my experience goes back 38 years.

I wouldn't fret too much at the moment.  I would leave the research until you have met her.

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 09:05:41 AM »
These are the cups I used on the wedding dress I just finished.  They are quite hefty  and provided good support even with a low back only filled in with illusion mesh...I did add bra straps though, setting them very wide at the back and disguising them as best I could with the overlaid lace.  It all depends on the style doesn't it?
C'est moi!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 09:51:10 AM »
...It's usually recommended to buy a dress a year before...

How times change, I bought my wedding dress about three weeks before  0_0

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 10:11:32 AM »
We didn't decide to get married until about 3 months before......I bought the dress ( from C & A, remember them? ) the week beforehand.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 10:53:47 AM »

You can say "it's her problem" but she's paying for the service of figuring out the problem.

It may be that that service will have to be advice that she decides between a supportive undergarment which isn't easy to remove/push aside to feed the baby, or accept that the chosen dress won't give enough support.

There is also the issue of whether or not the dress actually fits her.  If she did buy it before she was pregnant it probably won't.  If it's been bought quite recently I stay with my comment She should have given more thought to either the dress or the date of the wedding, or both.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:55:32 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »
Good old C & A, that's where my wedding dress came from too, back in the seventies  0_0

Yes, August 1971
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:04:24 PM by Lowena »

Bloobell

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 18:01:29 PM »
@DementedFairy  Those are the exact ones I've been umming over, so thank you.

I've had another chat to get a bit more info from her. She was petite before pregnancy (A cup) and whilst she doesn't know her exact size now as it varies as her baby feeds, she has said that she's not increased in size dramatically. She's said that the cup idea was more about giving her dress a bit of shape (presumably re-balancing her figure if baby has a hungry day) rather than giving her a massive amount of support, as she doesn't need it. We'll know for sure once I see her and the dress later in the month.

Bloobell

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 18:03:42 PM »
@Alexp  Thank you - very useful insight! I'd not thought about the difference in size after a feed, and you've confirmed something my bride mentioned yesterday, about making her look balanced. Not having had the experience, that didn't even cross my mind. Thank you!