The Sewing Place

Tulle skirts for toddlers

Bloobell

Tulle skirts for toddlers
« on: July 03, 2018, 11:34:58 AM »
I'm planning a couple of tulle skirts for some teeny toddlers - aged one and two. Never done them before, but the plan is to keep them as simple as possible. I don't want them to stick out - they'll be super short due to the age of the kid, but we've bought some soft tulle that ought to drape down to form a pretty skirt, rather than a sticky out tutu.

I'm going to do a nice soft elasticated waist, with multiple layers of tulle gathered onto it, so perfectly simple and comfy for both tots to wear.

The question is - how much fullness will I need?

I'm considering using double fullness for the gathered waist (ie a 20 inch waist means 40 inches of fabric) and eight layers of tulle. Do you think that would do?

b15erk

Re: Tulle skirts for toddlers
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »
BB, when I've done net/tulle petticoats for littlies, I put a soft lining against their legs.  One of my GD's tried an unlined tulle petticoat on and immediately refused to wear it because it scratched her legs.  Since then a nice lining has gone under each one.

I would probably do 3-4 layers, but I think it depends on how small your girlies are, and how much 'sticky out' factor you need.  ;)

jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

crafter

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 13:00:55 PM »
I would cut in a circle with the waist at least double, if not more.  Takes more fabric but much less finishing and gathering.  I would also gather each later separately to give a bit more oomph.

Bloobell

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 14:39:32 PM »
@b15erk yep, they're going to have a lining.

I'm not cutting circles - I'm using rectangles. They've got a specific skirt they've seen that they want, but they can't get it in their colour choice. The original is made with rectangles of tulle layered up, folded in half lengthways and an elasticated waistband inserted into the channel made at the fold. I'm just matching that, but in their own colours. No circles here, me dear! There's a ribbon belt to go round the waist and tie in a big bow at the centre back.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 14:43:28 PM »
They will be lovely BB. 

I love a bit of tulle....  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

crafter

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 17:38:21 PM »
@b15erk

I'm not cutting circles - I'm using rectangles. They've got a specific skirt they've seen that they want, but they can't get it in their colour choice. The original is made with rectangles of tulle layered up, folded in half lengthways and an elasticated waistband inserted into the channel made at the fold. I'm just matching that, but in their own colours. No circles here, me dear! There's a ribbon belt to go round the waist and tie in a big bow at the centre back.

Sorry @Bloobell, just going back to my bridesmaid making days.  I am sure they will be lovely.

Bloobell

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 09:52:22 AM »
I think they won't be wearing them long, so quick and cheap is the way the Mums asked me to go. I expect they'll be worn by teddy bears afterwards!

Yellowfeather

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 05:44:32 AM »
I made a couple of little bridesmaid dresses a couple of months ago using the soft tulle for the skirt.  I ended up using double the amount that I had anticipated because it gathers up really tight.  I think it ended up being 4 widths per layer.

Seweasy

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 11:45:51 AM »
I've just made a tulle underskirt for my six year old and three year old granddaughters bridesmaids dresses (which I also made). I used a very soft tulle and used four widths of fabric for the bottom layer, two and a half widths of fabric for the middle layer and two widths of fabric for the top layer.  my daughter in law didn't want the dresses too sticky out'y, but simply wanted to give the dress some fullness, as the dresses arent floor length, (mid calf) she wanted the tulle visible below the length of the dress too, so I made it longer, than the lining. this image shows the dress before the over skirt has been added...
I'm so much better at buying fabric, than  I am at using it up....

Bloobell

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 11:37:27 AM »
Well, they're finished and collected and they're very cute indeed. The longest is just 11 inches from waist to hem, so they do stick out a bit, but bride and Mum are delighted with them. The only problem now is keeping them on the babies, as the youngest is only 1 and she likes to pull elasticated waists down to her knees..I can see some baby-bottom flashing going on at this wedding lol

Mum is going to send me some photos once they're back from Cyprus, next week.