The Sewing Place

Another wedding guest dress thread!

Samantha

Another wedding guest dress thread!
« on: April 19, 2018, 19:28:47 PM »
I want to make a dress like this with the high neck and contrasting bands

This is my main fabric and I have some soft mat black fabric for the neck and waist contrast

So now on to the pattern….

I have this one which I’ve made before

I was thinking it would be fairly easy to divide up the lace panel piece and merge with the 3 bodice pieces BUT it’s princess seams so I am going to have to do some serious pattern matching on the bodice pieces otherwise I think it will naff won’t it? (As well as pattern matching to the skirt if I can be bothered.)

Would a darted bodice be better? (aka easier) because it wouldn’t be so noticeable (as long as the darts are not too massive!)

Bodice c of this one which I have made a number of times

I’d need to higher the neckline front and back as well as draft the neck band from the other dress on to it and a straight skirt.

Hmmm I now think maybe pattern matching the Burda one might be easier – or find a new pattern.

Any thoughts?

Francesca

Re: Another wedding guest dress thread!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 19:34:27 PM »
I love your ideas! I do feel like that Burda would be a faff to pull the lace portion out though...

What about this Bootstrap Fashion design centre dress I just threw together (attached)?

Or this Lekala https://www.lekala.co/catalog/women/dresses/pattern/4464#model

I do think a darted bodice would be better because you have a big design. Too many seam lines means more obviously broken designs unless you're going to be brave and pattern match (which you can't fully do on a princess line anyway).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 19:37:17 PM by Francesca »

Samantha

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 20:36:31 PM »
@Francesca  yes I think you're right it needs to be darts not princess seams.

The Lekala one looks good I guess I can omit the big sash thing. That Bootstrap one also looks great, how does the whole Bootstrap thing work?

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 20:47:24 PM »
Exactly the same software base as Lekala so if you're familiar with that then it's the same.

Make an account on the site and then search for the "Design Centre" and you'll see how I made that drawing up. Essentially you just pick each design bit you like and it'll make the dress pattern for you. Then put in your measurements as with Lekala and go.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 20:51:58 PM »
I used the Bootstrap design centre a couple of days ago.  I went through the whole process, then clicked on 'Buy Pattern' and it told me that they're not actually creating them any more.  They are apparently coming up with a new system, and not producing self-designed patterns until then.

Mind you, the time before that that I designed my own, when it arrived it was a totally different dress, in a different size.  They refunded my money rather than trying to actually produce what I'd asked for.  That might explain why the design centre is currently out of action.  I just wish they had said so before I wasted my time designing it.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 20:56:45 PM »
Oh no! That's such a shame! I've had several patterns from them and they've all been great.

Samantha

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 09:54:32 AM »
I've never used either! But I haven't found anything else suitable so I will have a play and see what happens.

Samantha

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 15:43:27 PM »
Well I ended up making a shirt dress in the end using this Vogue pattern. It ended up being a bit tight around the hips - that's what happens though when you cut out a slightly smaller size and intend to lose the weight by the time you've made it  >< 

Excuse the posey photo, I'd had a bit to drink by the time I got round to getting my photo taken  :S 0_0

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 15:46:05 PM by Samantha »

Francesca

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 17:43:39 PM »
Looks absolutely wonderful!

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 18:00:26 PM »
Looks great, ideal for a summer wedding.
Mary

DementedFairy

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 18:37:06 PM »
whit woo!  Get you, sexy beast!
C'est moi!

amymac

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 23:02:35 PM »
And your foxy fabric was perfect for the setting!   :)

Samantha

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 10:11:47 AM »
Thank you all for your comments  :loveit: