The Sewing Place

Another wedding guest dress thread!

Samantha

Another wedding guest dress thread!
« on: April 19, 2018, 19:28:47 PM »
I want to make a dress like this with the high neck and contrasting bands

This is my main fabric and I have some soft mat black fabric for the neck and waist contrast

So now on to the pattern….

I have this one which I’ve made before

I was thinking it would be fairly easy to divide up the lace panel piece and merge with the 3 bodice pieces BUT it’s princess seams so I am going to have to do some serious pattern matching on the bodice pieces otherwise I think it will naff won’t it? (As well as pattern matching to the skirt if I can be bothered.)

Would a darted bodice be better? (aka easier) because it wouldn’t be so noticeable (as long as the darts are not too massive!)

Bodice c of this one which I have made a number of times

I’d need to higher the neckline front and back as well as draft the neck band from the other dress on to it and a straight skirt.

Hmmm I now think maybe pattern matching the Burda one might be easier – or find a new pattern.

Any thoughts?

Samantha

Re: Another wedding guest dress thread!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 20:36:31 PM »
@Francesca  yes I think you're right it needs to be darts not princess seams.

The Lekala one looks good I guess I can omit the big sash thing. That Bootstrap one also looks great, how does the whole Bootstrap thing work?

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 20:51:58 PM »
I used the Bootstrap design centre a couple of days ago.  I went through the whole process, then clicked on 'Buy Pattern' and it told me that they're not actually creating them any more.  They are apparently coming up with a new system, and not producing self-designed patterns until then.

Mind you, the time before that that I designed my own, when it arrived it was a totally different dress, in a different size.  They refunded my money rather than trying to actually produce what I'd asked for.  That might explain why the design centre is currently out of action.  I just wish they had said so before I wasted my time designing it.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Samantha

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 09:54:32 AM »
I've never used either! But I haven't found anything else suitable so I will have a play and see what happens.

Samantha

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 15:43:27 PM »
Well I ended up making a shirt dress in the end using this Vogue pattern. It ended up being a bit tight around the hips - that's what happens though when you cut out a slightly smaller size and intend to lose the weight by the time you've made it  >< 

Excuse the posey photo, I'd had a bit to drink by the time I got round to getting my photo taken  :S 0_0

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 15:46:05 PM by Samantha »

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 18:00:26 PM »
Looks great, ideal for a summer wedding.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 18:37:06 PM »
whit woo!  Get you, sexy beast!
C'est moi!

amymac

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 23:02:35 PM »
And your foxy fabric was perfect for the setting!   :)

Samantha

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 10:11:47 AM »
Thank you all for your comments  :loveit: