The Sewing Place

Free Pattern Reviews

b15erk

Free Pattern Reviews
« on: April 20, 2018, 09:16:21 AM »
When I buy a pattern, I can go to Pattern Review to see what other people make of the pattern I'm buying.  This makes it a bit easier to decide whether to proceed or not.

Now I use a lot of free patterns, usually sourced from the internet, and I also link to free patterns.  Some have been very poor, but others have been excellent.  It would be good to have a place to go to, to find out whether it's worth giving certain free patterns a go. 

Would anyone be interested in some form of review for free patterns? No idea how to go about it, but it would be useful to hear from people who have tried these patterns and either had a good result, or wasted time and money.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

UttaRetch

Re: Free Pattern Reviews
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 13:40:02 PM »
You might some interest, but free patterns are always downloads and I don't do these because of the tedium of sticking together sheets of paper. :\

Lulu

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 14:28:37 PM »
Yes! That would be a brilliant idea Jessie.

It would be very useful for anybody, but particularly beginners like me - who are more easily discouraged. Perhaps you could also give them an accessibility rating for the total novice ?

I have said more than one unkind thing about the wording of a certain hat pattern..which I'm sure with a bit of experience wouldn't have given me any problems at all.

Even having one place to go to which brought all the links to free patterns together would be amazing x

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 15:33:02 PM »
I have put a brief overview of the 2 pairs of rompers I've just finished in the gallery Lulu.

I didn't really know what else to do with them.

Jessie

Btw, I'm sure your hat turned out just fine!
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 21:21:09 PM »
I would enjoy chatting about them somewhere. Doesn't even need to be a full on review for me, just even covering if the pages went together properly, as some do not, if the instructions were decent and adequate for the skill level it's intended for and if the blasted pieces fit together and the armscye looks like it's designed for a normal homo sapien-I'm shaking my fist at you Tina Givens!  :angry: (sometimes a tourniquet, other times nearly obscenely low, always inconsistent. Yet, fun to make.  >:) )

Perhaps even just a thread for each pattern company/blog that offers free patterns to discuss said freebies. Tessuti in Australia has a half dozen, Tina Givens as well, many many from So Sew Easy, Burda etc. Fabrics-Store has a couple dozen fashionable patterns geared toward linen. Most of them are layered, so you just print the size or sizes you want and most include from size 0 to 30 US sizes. I'm making some cropped pants now.

Anyway, yes!

(I just edited the link to make it work - there was an extra bit in there.  :) - Acorn )

Thank you! I usually test before I post but forgot this one.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 00:23:24 AM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lyn-J

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 22:51:34 PM »
Up for doing reviews.
There is The FoldLine as well as PatternsReview. I've just checked on there for Plantain from Deer & Doe and had trouble finding it as it was misspelled. There are also V/Bloggers reviews as well.
I think reviews here would be more to the point, we would either no what is wrong or could ask for help when things go awry. We would also know a good pattern when we see it.