The Sewing Place

Missing Notifications and DMs

Acorn

Re: Missing Notifications and DMs
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 08:57:25 AM »
The problems I had with BT email addresses were on completely different forums, not SMF.  I know that the discussion on the support forums for that software are completely useless - everyone has a different idea, but the simple fact remains that I changed the email address I was using, and the notifications started coming through.  The same thing happened here when I changed from using a BT address.

It is not down to the software and they are not being put into spam folders.  They are being removed at some point after they have left the forum, and before they reach your account.  We have no control over that.  The most likely scenario is that a server somewhere en route is recognising them as automated emails and removing them.  They are automated emails, and if we did something to hide that fact (if indeed there is anything that could be done) we would get blacklisted all over the place.

The link you provided to the discussion on the SMF support forum says 'hotmail is hard to deliver to'.

New post notifications are not shown on the forum itself - Unread Topics should cover that need.

[Crossposted with Bodge - that might help if the messages were going into a spam folder, but not necessarily - it depends why they're being marked as spam.]
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Francesca

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 09:35:28 AM »
Could you try adding the admin@ email address to your preferred contacts @CarolC ? That might fix the problem or at least we can discount it as an option.

Do you have an alternative email address you could swap to just to see if those come through, then switch back? (I know you wouldn't want emails going to a different address - just as a test).

There are a number of email providers that block emails in different ways - it's a very difficult area to debug. I am sure it is not a problem with the forum software but simply the algorithm deciding what gets through to you doesn't like it for some reason. (As I said, I have the same issue with Quidco and Gmail for some reason - I never get them).

CarolC

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 22:56:51 PM »
Hi! I sent an email to admin@thesewingplace.org.uk from that account so it will be interesting to see if you get it, and as you say, if I get notified of any responses after doing that.

I've looked in all my junk folders again today several times, and again nothing. So weird. Maybe it's trying to tell me I should spend less time on ye interwebs and more time sewing!

:snip: :vintage: :thread: :sew:

Francesca

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 09:40:53 AM »
That's great. The Admin email goes to MrIminei so we will grab him to check when he's online :)

Is there a way you can add that email to your preferred senders list in Hotmail though? Or perhaps somewhere in your settings you have "Whitelist"?

CarolC

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 11:25:58 AM »
Is there a way you can add that email to your preferred senders list in Hotmail though? Or perhaps somewhere in your settings you have "Whitelist"?

In short, I think not - one can unblock senders whose emails have gone through to junk, but you cannot (as far as I can find in their help pages - see here), pre-unblock them.

I had already added you to my regular contacts list, and by emailing you in hotmail directly that automatically added you to my hotmail list, but I still didn't get a notification this morning.

It would be easy if stuff just went to junk, but it doesn't. It doesn't get anywhere near my account. The problem is earlier than that in the  system, between it leaving TSP and Outlook accepting it as a message for my hotmail account. What I read (as far as I understood it) in the Simple Machines forum material is that some possibilities are that it is deemed to be coming from a bad IP address or that the format of the message isn't recognised/accepted for some reason. I think it also suggested that it may be possible for you to get yourselves added to hotmail's acceptable sender list.

One thing to consider when seeing if others with hotmail can get notifications is do they have hotmail.com as I do, or hotmail.co.uk? Because we are mostly in the UK, most people here probably have the latter, so it could be specific to .com - maybe because you are in the UK, it thinks you are spam....?

Francesca

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »
One thing to consider when seeing if others with hotmail can get notifications is do they have hotmail.com as I do, or hotmail.co.uk? Because we are mostly in the UK, most people here probably have the latter, so it could be specific to .com - maybe because you are in the UK, it thinks you are spam....?

We've got a mixture of both so I don't think it's a case of specifically hotmail users. Just some users. It's not a blanket rule that hotmail is applying to all accounts. Did you hear back from Hotmail support about it at all and could you ask if they have any sort of whitelist for your account that you can add TSP emails to?

Acorn

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 12:02:39 PM »
BTW I can reassure you that we do not have a bad IP address - I have checked on 3 different blacklist checkers and we came back squeaky clean from all of them.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

CarolC

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 12:35:58 PM »
Did you hear back from Hotmail support about it at all and could you ask if they have any sort of whitelist for your account that you can add TSP emails to?

In answer to the first part, no, I haven't (grr), but I think the request may be better coming from you.

For the second, I asked Mr google, and found a few things.  It is likely to be something, even a small thing, at your end that is causing hotmail.com to reject the messages. What do your logs say? Do they suggest messages are going out to me (I should have had a bunch this morning) or are you getting bounce back errors?

Some of these might provide a clue:

https://postmaster.live.com/pm/troubleshooting.aspx

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/getsupport?oaspworkflow=start_1.0.0.0&wfname=capsub&productkey=edfsmsbl3&locale=en-us&forceorigin=esmc&ccsid=636601656637469959

https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/cannot-send-emails-to-hotmail-accounts.619687/

https://www.serverintellect.com/support/email/sending-to-hotmail/

Francesca

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 12:41:10 PM »
For the second, I asked Mr google, and found a few things.  It is likely to be something, even a small thing, at your end that is causing hotmail.com to reject the messages. What do your logs say? Do they suggest messages are going out to me (I should have had a bunch this morning) or are you getting bounce back errors?

I can confirm this is not a problem with our emails not going out. We are not getting bounceback, and the emails are going out as they should according to our logs. I'm afraid this is not something at our end.

CarolC

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 13:07:57 PM »
Did you read this thread that I linked to above? https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/cannot-send-emails-to-hotmail-accounts.619687/

It is talking about exactly this issue, which isn't unique to TSP, and suggests a bunch of possible fixes including settings to check and also suggests trying a new, clean IP address to see if that helps. You can contact hotmail/outlook yourself, too, and will have details of how you are sending things that I don't have.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 13:17:09 PM by CarolC »

CarolC

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2018, 13:20:00 PM »
Hi again - please see above re your settings.

I just got a response from hotmail, and I have now found the safe sender list and added you to it as well as to my contacts. The email says, among other things, that you should contact them and they will try to add you to their lists. This is what the posts I've been linking to also say, so I think it would be good if you could try that as the emails ought to go through automatically.

### Do not reply below this line ###   
Outlook.com Support   
April 24, 2018, 11:58 +0000   
Hi Carol,

Thank you for your detailed response, I appreciate it. These information really helps. I understand that you’re not receiving emails from this particular website for some reason, and I know how important it is to be able to receive all incoming emails at all times to prevent missing out on anything.

One of the most common reason why emails from their domain doesn’t come through the Outlook.com, is because their domain is restricted or black listed from the Outlook domain. Emails from a particular domain are being blocked, because they did not pass the Outlook.com email sending policy, which is influenced by a number of factors related to:
• IP address
• Domain
• Authentication
• List accuracy
• Complaint rate
• Content of the email

Let us try to add the admin@thesewingplace.org.uk domain/email address to your Safe Sender list. Here’s how (Please find attached screenshot for reference):
1. Log on to https://outlook.live.com/
2. On the upper-right part of the screen, click Cog/Gear icon > click “Options” > click “Mail” tab on the left side of the screen
3. Under “Junk email” tab, click “Safe senders”
4. Type the admin@thesewingplace.org.uk domain address, then click on the "+" sign to add it
5. Click “Save” to save changes
Note: Monitor your outlook.com account and see if you’ll be able to receive emails from admin@thesewingplace.org.uk

If the issue persists, we may need to request to remove the domain in question from the black list. We highly suggest to contact the support team for admin@thesewingplace.org.uk and have them fill-out the form to request the whitelisting of their email address/domain. They have the information to complete the form and must be submitted from their end.

You can forward the link below to them:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/getsupport?oaspworkflow=start_1.0.0.0&wfname=capsub&productkey=edfsmsbl3&locale=en-us&ccsid=636421898757860784

Once submitted, our Outlook.com Deliverability Support will communicate with the Support Representative of admin@thesewingplace.org.uk for updates and approval, please proceed on emailing them for queries and clarifications.

We appreciate your efforts and cooperation towards this matter. I hope everything goes well. Have a great day!

Warmest regards,
Liel J. – Outlook.com Support
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 13:22:23 PM by CarolC »

Francesca

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 13:48:30 PM »
Hopefully the addition of the email to your preferred senders list will be the trick. I can confirm as Acorn did that we are not blacklisted.

As we said many other hotmail users receive our mail fine, so the problems on your linked thread refer to all hotmail users. Our forum sends to most hotmail users just fine (yours is the only case we've had so far), and our IP is clean.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 13:50:27 PM by Francesca »

CarolC

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 14:25:50 PM »
Hopefully the addition of the email to your preferred senders list will be the trick. I can confirm as Acorn did that we are not blacklisted.

As we said many other hotmail users receive our mail fine, so the problems on your linked thread refer to all hotmail users. Our forum sends to most hotmail users just fine (yours is the only case we've had so far), and our IP is clean.

Nada. Not in junk, not in my inbox. 

Please, please can you at least try some of the stuff I've suggested, not least contacting hotmail yourselves. As they say, I cannot do it for you.

There does seem to be an assumption here that this is only me, but as I said before, I am just the only person who spoke up and it has taken me 6 months of being irritated by it to actually bother to say anything, so there may well be others. You say the forum emails other hotmail users OK, but your records show you email me fine and that's not the case from where I sit.

I am not being a pain, this is a genuine problem and has caused me real problems in the last week. I wanted to buy the Bernina L220 coverstitch that was advertised for sale. I was the first person to ask for it, but because I didn't get a notification to the seller's reply, and didn't immediately look for one, she thought I didn't want it and gave first refusal to the next person to ask, who then bought it. I am not cross with the second person and wish them well with their new toy, but I am disappointed and frustrated.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 15:50:56 PM »
@CarolC  (although I suspect the notification for that won't reach you  :( ), would setting up another email account just for here be of any help to you?  Perhaps a gmail one? 

CarolC

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 19:52:02 PM »
CarolC, we have done the things you've suggested. We know how the forum works and we know our email is set up correctly.

OK, but have you also filled in the hotmail whitelist request form I sent you the link for? Please can you try it if you haven't. I can't do it for you. They are so strict, it could be just a really minor thing, and so easily sorted out by them.
(here it is again - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/getsupport?oaspworkflow=start_1.0.0.0&wfname=capsub&productkey=edfsmsbl3&locale=en-us&ccsid=636421898757860784&forceorigin=esmc)

@Bodgeitandscarper - I could redo my settings with another email address, but on many levels I don't really think i should have to. This is really not me, I've made every setting change it's possible to make and they are all correct now and it still doesn't work. It appears that somehow TSP has gotten all or part of itself blacklisted by hotmail.com so that the messages never get near me (and probably other people too). If @Francesca or one of the other admins asks for it to be whitelisted by them and it still doesn't work, then I'll be happy to change, but in the meantime, I feel quite strongly that every effort should be made to get it fixed so it doesn't happen to other people. Someone might try to sign up, not get notified, and go away...

Re the coverstitch, it's really not a problem beyond making me more niggled than I might be with the no notifications thing! On the other hand, if that's the case, then it was a bit naughty of her to say to me that it was definitely still available when I asked for it.... It would have been better to say that you'd already asked and were thinking, I'll let you know, etc. It's fine, though, and I've decided to support my local economy and buy a Juki from a local shop instead, plus they can teach me how to use it. It's not that much more once I take shipping into account as I couldn't have collected. I'd been dithering about getting one, so it's spurred me to do it.