The Sewing Place

Missing Notifications and DMs

Acorn

Re: Missing Notifications and DMs
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2018, 20:06:48 PM »
@CarolC You need to recognise that Fran and I have a great deal of experience in running forums and websites and know what we are doing.  I have been doing this for over 13 years.  We know where to look for advice and support, and which advice is not worth reading.  We do not need lists and lists of links that you have come across by searching.  You are helping nobody by doing this.  We have taken all appropriate action.  In addition, Fran contacted Hotmail a while ago, and has so far had no response from them.

As we have said many times, we are not blacklisted either by IP address or domain name.  Please do not make statements such as that in your previous post.  By doing so you are breaking the rules of the forum which you agreed to when you signed up. 

In addition, please do not criticise other members as you have done in your previous post.  Once again you are breaking the rules of the forum by doing so.

10% of our users have hotmail addresses listed.  Nobody else has complained, but at least one other person has said that her notifications reach her account. 

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 20:18:36 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

CarolC

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2018, 22:19:05 PM »
@Acorn - OK, if you've done everything there is to do, that's fab. I wasn't clear you'd actually contacted hotmail, so that's my confusion. They were a bit slow to reply to me, too, so hopefully they'll get back you at some point.

In aid of trying to make my side better, I've tried to set up a wholly new account here (Sewingforfun) using an outlook.com account to see if it's something wrong with this particular account. I haven't had a confirmation yet that it's live, but will make sure the settings are all set to full throttle notify when I do. How long does that usually take? (No hurry just so I know when I might need to worry I haven't got it).

I've also asked my husband if I can "borrow" his email address to use as the notification account for this account in case it's something more specific to me and my email. He's not home tonight, but hopefully we can try this tomorrow or later in the week.

Oh, and do we know if Mr Immeni has been online and had a chance to just reply directly to the email I sent earlier to the admin account? I haven't had a reply but maybe he hasn't been around yet.

Carol x

Francesca

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2018, 23:16:17 PM »
I can confirm receipt of your email to admin@ and have replied. All new registrations are processed in the AM at some point.

fajita

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2018, 17:02:34 PM »
I've just checked my junk mail, and it seems the last notification I got was 6th April.

Francesca

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 17:07:33 PM »
Thanks for updating us Fajita. Hotmail have confirmed we are not blacklisted by them. I will see which other members are on Hotmail and ask them if they have received notifications.

Celia

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2018, 23:18:13 PM »

@Bodgeitandscarper -

Re the coverstitch, it's really not a problem beyond making me more niggled than I might be with the no notifications thing! On the other hand, if that's the case, then it was a bit naughty of her to say to me that it was definitely still available when I asked for it.... It would have been better to say that you'd already asked and were thinking, I'll let you know, etc. It's fine, though, and I've decided to support my local economy and buy a Juki from a local shop instead, plus they can teach me how to use it. It's not that much more once I take shipping into account as I couldn't have collected. I'd been dithering about getting one, so it's spurred me to do it.

I am very sorry you feel like this, You both contacted me sepertly on the same day, one on line and one by personnel message, when you asked the machine was still available,  my message to you said there was someone else interested and I did also say I was not interested in posting it,  I did say this in my original add,  obviously you did not receive my message and therefore did not reply to me so I thought you were not interested if I would not post it,  I then accepted Francesca’s offer as she was willing to collect the machine.

I really am very sorry about any misunderstanding  but I hope you are very happy with your new punchase.

Sewingforfun

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2018, 14:58:42 PM »
test
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Sewingforfun

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2018, 08:40:19 AM »
Hi! Just wondering if you’d had any luck getting this issue sorted out with hotmail and outlook. I’m not getting notifications in this account either.
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

UttaRetch

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2018, 08:59:40 AM »
I also use outlook and the notification of PMs and @mentions is patchy to say the least - I logged in today to see a 'profile message' but have nothing from outlook.  The problem does not lie with this forum.

Acorn

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2018, 09:25:17 AM »
I also use outlook and the notification of PMs and @mentions is patchy to say the least - I logged in today to see a 'profile message' but have nothing from outlook.  The problem does not lie with this forum.

No, it doesn't.  I recently had a reply from BT about other emails going missing or being returned as undeliverable (nothing to do with this forum).  They said "We are currently experiencing an extensive spam campaign in which many formats of spam message are being sent from a large global distribution of servers using a wide range of changing domains."

It seems that their response to this is to block anything and everything that could possibly be spam, and never mind the masses of innocent emails that are lost as collateral damage.  These emails don't even end up in a spam folder.  They just never arrive.  I am sure that other email providers are doing similar things.

I have a BT email account with subaccounts and I've also just discovered that I can no longer send emails from one subaccount to the other - which is something of a problem, as Mr Acorn's private email address is a subaccount.  I've asked BT how they can justify this, since it means that their email accounts are not fit for purpose, but unsurprisingly I've had no further response from them.

If you are having problems it is worth changing the email address in your account (if you have another one from a  different provider), but there are no guarantees...

UttaRetch

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2018, 14:50:43 PM »
@Acorn: I have several accounts, one through my ISP and linked to my real name, the aforesaid outlook also linked to my real name, and a couple of gmail aliases.  The outlook is longstanding and is used for 'business purposes', so I am reluctant to mess with it. 

Bogwoppit

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2018, 18:35:43 PM »
I have a long standing hotmail.com account. Tried putting on notifications for several threads this morning. Nothing in Hotmail. Doesn't surprise me. I would say they get lost somewhere in Hotmail. I subscribed twice to a mailing list, once with Hotmail and once with Gmail. In the last couple of weeks I've only got the Gmail emails through, not both.

My husband recently stopped running a large volume time critical email alert service as emails were no longer guaranteed to be quick. He did a study of providers and found Yahoo the worst, BT apparently use the same stuff. Being told the conditions are right to see the northern lights two days late is pretty rubbish. All to do with how they handle possible junk/spam mail.

I don't myself need notification on the sewing forum, it's small enough for me to check with the unread posts feature.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Acorn

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2018, 19:29:58 PM »
Oooh - is he involved in Aurorawatch @Bogwoppit ?  I subscribe to that... with my BT (Yahoo) email address... and I haven't had any notifications for a very, very long time.  I did get an email from them today asking me to fill in a survey though.

I think I'll change the email address I'm using with them.

Bogwoppit

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2018, 19:55:15 PM »
@Acorn  You guessed right. He'd say not to rely on email for alerts at all. There's info on the website about other methods. He recently left the university to work in industry and so spends less time on it.

I certainly read less and less email these days, just scroll through and delete. But I don't have a desk job.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Acorn

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2018, 20:08:07 PM »
Thanks @Bogwoppit - I've just unsubscribed my email address and resubscribed with another (I checked, and the last email came through last November!!!)  I do also follow them on Facebook, fortunately.