The Sewing Place

Missing Notifications and DMs

BrendaP

Re: Missing Notifications and DMs
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2018, 08:44:49 AM »
I get email notifications ... sometimes.  I thought that they always came through but I've just seen that Imi mentioned me in "Today, 17th May" or whatever the exact title is, and it showed in the profile and my mentions at the top of the page but no email! 

It doesn't bother me, but there is something strange going on in the ether.  I'm with a small independent ISP who takes the opposite view from Yahoo, BT, AOL etc, he doesn't interfere too much by blocking more than he should.

It's much more imortant that PMs come through; they do, as email notification and from the menu bar at the top of the page.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2018, 08:51:25 AM »
Give it a bit of time @BrendaP  !!! ;)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2018, 09:25:44 AM »
@BrendaP Unfortunately emails pass through a number of servers as they wing their way to you, so although your own ISP may be more rational than most, your emails may fall prey to one of the ones that don't care along the way.

I think (hope) that something has to be done soon.  My work emails to my boss have been blocked recently (BT to Gmail) even when I'm sending a reply to an email originally sent by her.  Whatever they need to do to thwart spam, it doesn't have to be this clumsy.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewingforfun

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2018, 18:31:36 PM »
I've finally given in and changed my notification email to a gmail account on the grounds that the outlook/hotmail problem just isn't getting sorted out, and I do like to have notifications. I did get the "you've changed your email" email, so hopefully it will keep working.

And @Acorn - how irritating about your work emails! And how weird. You'd think you could reply to something sent directly to you by someone you'd corresponded with before.... Does it also happen if you log in from a totally different computer?
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

BrendaP

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2018, 18:37:22 PM »
I never did get the notification from @Iminei  but I have just received two notifications, from you @Acorn and from @Tamnymore  so maybe it depends on the ISP who the originator is with.   

ETA - I've just looked at the thread which gave me the mentions and I see that there's also one from @Kwaaked (which was before the other two) but that hasn't come through to my emails.

Hmmm!  ?????
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 18:42:38 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2018, 19:05:29 PM »
There seems to be no logic to it at all - you would expect emails going from the forum to a particular email address would consistently either arrive or not - but no.  Some are clearly always being weeded out, but others only sometimes.

It makes no difference which computer I use.  I forced a change in my IP address, and that made no difference either.  However, I have just changed the server that I use to send my BT emails and some - but not all - are now getting through.   -<

Sewingforfun

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2018, 21:52:35 PM »
There seems to be no logic to it at all - you would expect emails going from the forum to a particular email address would consistently either arrive or not - but no.  Some are clearly always being weeded out, but others only sometimes.

It makes no difference which computer I use.  I forced a change in my IP address, and that made no difference either.  However, I have just changed the server that I use to send my BT emails and some - but not all - are now getting through.   -<

:( indeed! Have you tried a carrier pigeon?

fajita

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2018, 11:23:07 AM »
I got a notification from the 'florals rule' section today.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2018, 21:10:33 PM »
Just got my 1st email notification of the year, to my Hotmail account. Wonder if it was a fluke, or maybe I'll get more now.  :) :)

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

Acorn

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2018, 21:19:45 PM »
I have my fingers crossed that one of the providers just might be getting their act together!

fajita

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2018, 22:47:12 PM »
I've had no more since that one on the 20th.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2018, 15:48:34 PM »
I think mine was a one-off too  :(. No more since.

fajita

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2018, 09:19:52 AM »
I got three more notifications this morning.  :flower:

Sewsuzie

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2018, 09:33:06 AM »
Ooh, another notification here too!  :)

Sewingforfun

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2018, 21:58:26 PM »
The notifications have now died on my new account.... (I never did manage to recover CarolC after the original issues). There should have been some on my recent thread. And no, they aren't in my junk mail; yes, I was getting notifications at some point in the past; and this is gmail not hotmail. The frustrating thing is that, as ever, there is no way of knowing what you've missed unless you go looking for it. Aaarrrggghhhh....!