The Sewing Place

Easy/cheat`s way to narrow a neckline

sewingj

Easy/cheat`s way to narrow a neckline
« on: April 21, 2018, 09:45:45 AM »
I realise that this is probably blindingly obvious to most of you  but although I have been sewing for donkey`s years I am still a novice at making things fit and frequently haven`t a clue what I am doing.  I suspect I am not the only one so I thought I`d mention this incase it helps someone else:-
I recently made a t-shirt which I thought I had adapted well to suit my small bust but when I actually wore it and moved around I realised the neckline was still too wide.  It kept slipping and revealing my bra straps to the extent that I felt I couldn`t wear it.
After much staring in the mirror and pondering I discovered that just putting a pleat in the neckline at the centre front made a huge difference.  I did this by hand and think I have made a neat enough job for it to look like a design feature rather than a botch up!
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Easy/cheat`s way to narrow a neckline
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 09:49:09 AM »
Very neat solution!  I am now wise to necklines often being too wide and always check them before cutting out.

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 11:29:08 AM »
You can also sew lingerie straps into any shoulder to keep the neckline squared off and not revealing bra straps.  Very simple, thread chains or bit of scrap ribbon, plus a clear pres stud.
C'est moi!

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 11:43:55 AM »
Lingerie straps are great in RTW and essential for the narrow-shouldered amongst us.

I think the altered neckline looks better then a plain neckline and definitely looks 'meant'.  Good rescue!

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 13:04:28 PM »
@sewingj0_0  0_0 I've resorted to making a pleat in a sleeve head when I couldn't ease it in no matter how many times I tried.  It's a design feature, darling.

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 13:40:48 PM »
Ah yes, UR, I've done that too. It can look good, a flatter result than having too many gathers.