The Sewing Place

Stylish sleek patterns - do they exist

Catllar

Stylish sleek patterns - do they exist
« on: April 23, 2018, 19:48:01 PM »
I'm beginning to feel a knitting itch, so off to look at patterns - why can't I find knitting patterns that look like the clothes I wear? Don't need fancy, chunky, frilly, or loaded with tricky stitches. Looking for beautiful wools - soft and not itchy - silk and linen. Don't need arctic quality warm, just something simple and classy. Where the heck should I  be looking?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

BrendaP

Re: Stylish sleek patterns - do they exist
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 21:39:06 PM »
Ravelry

I think you have to subscribe before you can search but there are thousands of patterns listed, some can be downloaded, free and paid for, others have links to magazines, books etc.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lyn-J

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:24:55 AM »
I like Kim Hargreaves. The paterns may run a bit expensive as you have to buy a book and they are made from Rowan yarne, but you can sustitute.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 09:35:06 AM »
Ooooh, there are some really nice designs there.  There's a lovely hide patterned cardigan called Jeannie (Jeanie), that I would love to be able to do, but it's well beyond my capabilities!

Jeannie

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 11:57:19 AM »
There's also Drops Design - all free patterns.  There's some seriously weird stuff on there but if you filter you can find the yarn weight you are looking for.
Life's too short for ironing.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 12:18:33 PM »
Thanks girls, knew I could rely on you. I've made a few Drops designs but never really worn anything - never totally felt the lerve for the finished thing!. Thanks for the intro to Kim Hargreaves - that's more what Im looking for. Had a look at the books you have Fran, not really anything that makes my heart beat faster! Except perhaps the winter one , due to overheating! Too thick for the climate here, but I can see how gorgeous they are.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 15:20:07 PM »
Jumped in and ordered some wool from Katia. Got a simple pattern. Going to have a go to see if I've not lost my touch then  I have my eye on some cotton and alpaca which looks a bit nice.

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 21:54:32 PM »
So the yarn arrived and now I discover I chucked out the pattern book during a clear-up. Bugger! What am I??

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 09:03:01 AM »
B***er! I thought only I did that Cat.  Can you remember the pattern number?

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 23:09:28 PM »
So, back from UK and found pattern to buy on tinter web. Now have to find needles and I'm good to go!

Pineau

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 23:31:59 PM »
Like you I want clean lines and no frills. I’ve made a number of things by the following designers - all have a big following on Ravelry:

Veera Valimaki
Joji Locatelli
Maison Rililie

Also have a look at Purl Soho? - they have a lovely free sweatshirt sweater pattern that I’m about to use a 2nd time.