The Sewing Place

Simplicity 4043

b15erk

Simplicity 4043
« on: April 25, 2018, 16:16:16 PM »
Not really a pattern question, but no idea where else to put this.

I'm making a mermaid.  It's all very straightforward really, but, there are several elements of the pattern which need added bling and there is a pattern template to show how to arrange this on the bodice, and the fin.  The bodice wasn't a problem, I just used tracing carbon, and an old pen, the fin now, is proving a bit more problematic.

Firstly, it's slightly padded, so the first tracing was invisible as I couldn't press hard enough on the pen. So I unpicked the padding and traced again on the wrong side ready to sew from the right side with the padding on....  you guessed, the padding fouled up the feed dogs.  I resorted to laying a sheet of paper down over the feed dogs before sewing.  Then the needle was plucking at the cheap satin fabric....  :'(

Does anyone have any tips please?  I'm driving myself daft - and this is only a practise!

Jessie

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

Re: Simplicity 4043
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 16:27:26 PM »
Would water soluble stabiliser on the top and the bottom help?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 16:35:04 PM »
Not altogether sure what would help Acorn.... I can only hope that no-one is going to look too closely....

I do have some water soluble, so I'll give it a whirl tonight.

Embellishment isn't really my forte.... ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 17:34:38 PM »
Would thread tracing work?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet